No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Transfer old BPOS Sharepoint site to O365 Team Site

• 7 Followers
  • 12 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Is there a way to transfer our old sharepoint collection (shared docs, calendar, etc) to the new team site?  Right now I can either choose the team site (empty) or the old site, which takes me to the old company portal.

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • Hi,

This is Tim with Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.

You can open both of the document libraries (BPOS and Office 365) in Explorer View and then drag and drop the content. If you have the calendar from your BPOS site collection connected with Outlook, you can connect a new Office 365 calendar to Outlook and then drag and drop the calendar entries from one calendar to another.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Tim Muth
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Tim,

i have the same subject, but other content in our BPOS site. What about migrating lists? I would like to move our old lists (a contact list and several list, which are bound together with some lookup columns) to the new site collection. What ist the preferred migration path?

I was also wondering, why Microsoft did not migrate the data to the new site collection. My understanding of cloud services seems to differ from Microsoft... ;-)

Best Regards, Christoph

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Christoph,

Unfortunately, there is no way to move the content from one list to another. You could look into 3rd party applications to migrate all your content. Please remember that this option could cost you some money to use.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Tim

Can you please confirm that there is no mechanism for migrating SharePoint data from BPOS to Office 365? This causes us significant issues with having to setup security again. Also do we have to double the storage space we are currently paying for in order to replicate the data across? Why is there no service for this (entirely reasonable and foreseeable) request?

Many thanks

Paul Bourne

• Not Ranked
  • Meanwhile I had opened a case. They handled it as a call with severity A, but the result after trying several ways to migrate the data was, that there is no supported way to transfer the data. There might be 3rd party solutions in the market, but Microsoft won't neither support you in the migration nor pay for the licensing and amount of effort of using 3rd party tools, which are needed only because of the lack of automatic migration.

As a result, one should think carefully about the content, put in SharePoint Online. Important or more complex data might be better in an on premise solution or another vendor.

Best Regards

Christoph

• Not Ranked
  • Tim, I am having trouble "dragging and dropping" the content from the older site to the new site. I was able to do this with Outlook but anytime I do this with BPOS & Office 365 the Office 365 page changes to the BPOS page. Also, I cannot get the upload multiple files to work. It is greyed out and says I don't have permission...but I am the admin. I have tried looking at all the permission but cannot figure out how to remedy this. Please help!

• Not Ranked
  • Hi,

Moving content from you BPOS site collection to a SharePoint 2010/Office 365 Site Collection should not revert the site collection to look like a BPOS site. I would suggest calling into support so an engineer can see this as it is happening. I am also sending you a private message with the information that you will need to create a service request if you cannot call into support.

Thanks,

Tim Muth

• Top 50 Contributor
  • I too am disappointed that the data was not migrated.  I was led to believe that this would be done and that is the reason we waited for migration rather than setting up a new Office365 licence and transferring the data ourselves.

I have used SharePoint Designer before to transfer between SharePoint sites but it is not always 100% reliable.

• Not Ranked
  • I work for MetaVis.  You can use MetaVis Migrator or MetaVis Online to Migrate from your BPOS Site to a fresh Office 365 site.  Many people have used MetaVis so they can change to a new URL and retain their documents and metadata structure.   You can give it a try at our site.  Pricing starts at $250 per GB for MetaVis Online.  www.metavistech.com

• Not Ranked
  • Peter, does the software migrate documents only?

Does the software also migrate lists?

Are lists with LookUp fields between lists supported?

Example: Let's say, I would have a person list and a company list and in each person list entry would be a lookup field for the company the person works for. If I migrate the two lists, will the link between the two lists work after the migration?

• Not Ranked
  • MetaVis Migrator Migrates Sites, Lists/Libraries, Documents items, permissions, views, etc.  It will migrate and correct the internal lync for your lookup list as along as it is supported in Office 365.  you can try it at www.metavistech.com/try

• Not Ranked
  • I am not sure if the following will work for lists but I found a way to transfer documents pretty simply and for FREE:

1. go into your sharepoint workspace and click on "site actions" at the very top left of your screen. Select "Sync to SharePoint Workspace". If you are transferring documents from one sharepoint site to another do this for both sites. This also works if you are just looking for an easy and fast way to upload documents and/or move documents around.

2. once it has synced a window will pop up  that has all your folders and documents. Open the other site workspace and just drag the folders and/or documents whereever you want them. I advise to limit the transfer to 50 documents or less because otherwise there is a bit of an overload. However, this is much simpler than going to the SharePoint online and downloading and then uploading to the new site or paying someone money to do it for you. This only took a couple of hours to transfer what took me 2 days to upload originally. this workspace syncs with the online sharepoint site and so all the documents will be loaded. Another neat aspect of this workspace is that it can alert you when someone has changed a document. Hope this helps!

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)