No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Exporting and importing template from beta to trial to production

• 2 Followers
  • 4 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi,

I've read that it is not possible to re-use data from the Office 365 beta into the trial and production environment. However, it is possible to make a site- or document library-template. Does anybody know if it is possible to use these template in the trial and production environment?

Thanks in advance,

Peter-Paul Geurts

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hello Peter-Paul,

Currently we haven't yet released information as to how you'll transition data from the beta environment into the production environment once Office 365 is released.  As we are currently in Beta it is always a good idea to keep your data backed up.  Most likely you will be able to use at the least backup your data, including site and document library templates, and then bring them into your production environment, but I cannot confirm for certain at this time.

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your reply. Since it is only possible to make templates smaller than 50MB, it is quite hard to make a backup of the site template including data. I'll keep in mind to make templates of custom lists including data.

I've also read somewhere that the beta has to be seen as a sandbox environment, so I doubt it'll be possible to take any data/templates from beta to trial to production. Hopefully there will be a way to realize this, but until further notice I'll backup the data/templates on a regular base.

• Not Ranked
  • What you may want to do is try playing around with SharePoint Designer.  Although it isn't a tool that we provide support on, I believe it can be of use in creating whole backups of your SharePoint Online site, and that may help you in this endeavor.

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Alexander,

SharePoint Designer 2010 doesn't support backing up anymore, backups have to be made through the browser and preferably through Central Administration. The 'Save as Template' option in Designer forwards me to the browser and gives me no option to export/back up the entire site.

However, SharePoint Designer is an easier way to perform backups per list or DocLib, so thanks for the tip!

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)