No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

REST API use of UserInformationList to get list of users safe and reliable?

• This post has 4 Replies |
  • 2 Followers
  • I am looking to connect to SharePoint Online to get a list of current groups and users, so another application can read the users set up in Office 365 SharePoint Online.

The REST API seems a promising route to do this as it's supported in SharePoint Online and very easy to use.

Logging into Office 365 and going (replace mycompany with the relevant URL)

https://mycompany.sharepoint.com/_vti_bin/ListData.svc/UserInformationList

gives a JSON list of users and groups that seems very promising

But I cannot find any formal Microsoft documentation on the UserInformationList and I'm not sure if it's safe and reliable to use in SharePoint Online as an accurate list of users. Some SharePoint 2007 articles suggest it's not synchronized well with AD

Can anyone point me to any documentation on the UserInformationList (in SharePoint 2010 and/or SharePoint Online). And comment if it is accurate and uptodate, or if it may be out of date?

Thanks for any advice

• Hi John,

This is Bob from Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.  Thank you for coming to the communities with your question about using REST API to get a list of users.

As this is custom code related it is out of the realm of our support team.  I have located the developers guide that may help you with this question.

Office 365: Developer Guide

SharePoint Online for Office 365: Developer Guide

Please let me know if this helps or if you need further assistance, as I will be watching this thread for a few more days.

Thank you,

Bob Kasper
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support
  • Could I re-phrase the question to make it in scope

There is a User Information List in Office 365.

You can get to it in the UI via xxxxx.sharepoint.com/.../simple.aspx. It's only visible to administrators I believe

Is this list documented and supported and available to use (e.g. in workflows or other lists)?

Thanks for any help

• Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.  I apologize for the length of time it has taken me to get back to you.  I have engaged some resources to find out more about this list and here is what I found out.

The User Information list has little functionality and is mainly used to confirm basic information about the users.  You should be able to utilize this just fine but we do not support anything that you are trying to do with this list.

Please let me know if this answered your question.

Thank you,

Bob Kasper
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support
  • Bob

Thanks for taking the time to investigate, which is appreciated. At least we know where we are with it, which is useful.

John

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)