No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

SharePoint Online - Configuring My Sites to direct On Premise

• Hi All,

I'm trying to reference our On-Premise My Sites through our SharePoint Online site collection and have a few questions about the configuration.

1. Are federated accounts/verified domain required? For example, if our On Premise accounts are referencing user1@domain.com and our SP Online accounts are user1@domain.onmicrosoft.com, how are those two accounts connected when clicking on 'My Profile' within SP Online?

2. Are there configuration steps available as to what needs to be setup both online and on premise?

Currently, I created an audience based on email. Anything that contains @domain.onmicrosoft.com would be directed to https://my.domain.com/.

Any tips or guidance on the above would be greatly appreciated!

Matthew.

• Hi Mattius,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

Even when working internally in SharePoint Online (SPO) Office 365, only a couple of fields are synchronized between a My Site and the associated SPO Office 365 account.  The My Site for user1 has a connection with user1@domain.onmicrosoft.com, but does not have a connection to user1@domain.com.  As stated above there are exceptions for a couple of fields, but the fields that are synchronized are not controllable.

My sites were developed as an area for users to create and communicate on a personal level.  It was always intended to be a personal area, where your users could control their personal content and who could read, edit or access their information.

The following link will provide you with some of the available options concerning email routing.

http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ff658275.aspx

I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

• Hi Jonis,

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I think I may have not been entirely clear within the original email.

What I'm trying to achieve is a hybrid environment for My Sites whereby we keep the My Sites hosted on premise, but users are able to access them by clicking 'My Profile' or 'My Site' whilst browsing through a SharePoint Online Site Collection.

I have read on several occasions that this can be accomplished by creating an audience in O365 followed by entering the on premise My Site URL within the Trusted My Site Hosts and then assigning the desired audience.

The issue I have here is that when users click 'My Profile' whilst on a SP site collection, they receive an error stating that the user cannot be found. Within the hybrid deployment document, it references a asp? (or something else) script that's placed on the on premise server which will adjust the account name adding or removing the membership line. Is this the only way?

In summary:

1. My Sites hosted on premise

2. Content and information hosted within SP Online.

3. I would like users to be able to access their on premise My Sites from SP Online.

Thank you for your time!

Regards,

Matthew.

• Hi,

Is there any further information on the above?

Regards,

Matthew.

• Hi Mattius,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

The script that is placed on your on-premise server provides the permissions that are necessary for your SharePoint Online users to access their My Profile on your on premise server. 

Since the issue could be with the My Site, another option is to delete and re-create the My Site.  The following steps will walk you through the process.

1. Log into the Microsoft Online Portal as an administrator
    2. Under the SharePoint Online heading select Manage
    3. Select Manage User Profiles
    4. Under the heading People select Manage User Profiles
    5. Search for the profile in question.  When that user comes up, click the dropdown menu that appears.
    6. Select Manage Site Collection Owners
    7. In the window that opens, add a second site collection administrator to the My Site
    8. Sign out of the Portal and all SharePoint windows
    9. Sign back in as the second administrator of the My Site
    10. Under the SharePoint Online heading select Manage
    11. Click Manage User Profiles
    12. Under the heading People select Manage User Profiles
    13. Again, search for the profile in question.  When the user is found, click the dropdown menu that appears.
    14. This time select Manage Personal Site
    15. When the site opens up, under the Site Actions heading, select Delete this site
    16. A warning page will appear, select Delete to delete the site.
    17. After this is done, sign out of the Portal and all SharePoint windows.
    18. Sign in as the original user.
    19. Go to the team site and create your My Site by clicking your name in the top-right and selecting My Site
    20. Select My Content at the top of the page that opens.
    21. Your new site will provision.
    22. Your new My Site should now be in working order.

Thank you for your reply and for using the Microsoft Online SharePoint Services Forums.

I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.