No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

External users management

• I am trying to figure out if we can use SharePoint Online with our partners. I have some questions:

- where can I see a list of all external users on a site?

- how do I delete an external user?

- where can I modify profile info of the external user (first name, last name, etc)?

Thanks!

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi OPCinc,

This is Ryan with Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.

When you invite an external user to your site, you are given the choice of which group you would like to add them to. To view these users, go to Site Actions, Site Settings, then People and Groups, then select the group you added them to.

To delete an external user, go to the group page mentioned above, then click on the user's name. Inside the user information page, you can click "Delete User from Site Collection".

To answer your third question, since external users are not given a My Site, they don't have a profile that can be edited like regular users do.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Ryan Achterberg
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Hi OPCinc,
    I’m just following up for Ryan to see if he was able to answer your questions, if not please let me know as I will be monitoring this thread over the next few days.
    Thank you,
  • Thank you for your answers. I have a few more questions so I can understand it better.

Ryan Achterberg MSFT Support

When you invite an external user to your site, you are given the choice of which group you would like to add them to.

Can I add/remove external users from groups and/or assign permissions
    on the site same way as for the regular users? For example if I need
    one group of external users to have access to one library and another
    group to a different one? I tested it and it seems to be working that
    way but just want to make sure.

Ryan Achterberg MSFT Support

To answer your third question, since external users are not given a
    My Site, they don't have a profile that can be edited like regular users
    do.

The issue I am trying to resolve here is the fact that by default
    Created By or Modified By shows an email address for external users
    (hotmail login address). Is it possible to change it somehow to a full
    name?It would be more meaningful for our team.

And more questions:

- Are there any limitations as to the number of external users and what happens when we reach that number.

- Are there any plans to allow registration with own email addresses instead of the hotmail account?

Thanks!

• Hi OPCinc,
    Thank you for your reply and to answer your questions:

·         Can I add/remove external users from groups and/or assign permissions on the site same way as for the regular users? For example if I need one group of external users to have access to one library and another group to a different one? I tested it and it seems to be working that way but just want to make sure.

As you found out this is the way it should work.

·         The issue I am trying to resolve here is the fact that by default Created By or Modified By shows an email address for external users (Hotmail login address). Is it possible to change it somehow to a full name? It would be more meaningful for our team.

As Ryan explained previously since the external user is not given a My Site the username cannot be edited. 

·         Are there any limitations as to the number of external users and what happens when we reach that number?

·         Are there any plans to allow registration with own email addresses instead of the Hotmail account?

As stated in the Microsoft Office 365 (Plan P1) Service Description on page 17 (Microsoft Office 365 Plan P1 customers are licensed for 50 partner access licenses (PAL) (unique external users) per month at no additional cost).
    As part of a future services offering we will introduce support for EASI (email as sign-on) ID. This provides a simple way for invited external users to use (any) existing email address to sign in to SharePoint sites.
    I hope that I was able to clear this up for you.  please let me know I you have any further questions as I will continue to monitor this thread for the next few days.
    Thank you,
  • Hi OPCinc,
    I’m just checking in to see if you have any further questions and to see if I was able to answer your last questions.  Please let me know if there is anything else that you may need assistance with as I will be monitoring this thread over the next few days.
    Thank you,