No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Sharepoint Contacts List - fields do not carry over to Outlook

This question is answered This question is answered

I have a small company as a client that is looking at cloud services as a means to make their internal process more efficient.

A stumbling block has been keeping track of contacts. Four users all try to sync contacts amongst themselves, which is taking a lot of time.

I have set up a test site for them on Sharepoint and created a contacts list. The idea being that all contacts orginate of this list and individual users having them synced up to Outlook.

To make this I need to set the category field in Sharepoint, which then should carry through to the contact as it appears in Outlook.

This does not work. The categories field stays empty in Outlook, although it has the same name.

Why?

Verified Answer
  • Hi wavemaster00,

I understand that you created a contacts list on SharePoint and set the category field. However, after connecting to Outlook, the categories field stays empty in Outlook. If there is any misunderstanding, please let me know.

In fact, we can only synchronize a limited set of pre-defined properties by using the Connect to Outlook feature. All Outlook users will see the same information when they view synchronized SharePoint list items. This is true even if an Outlook field such as Categories does not appear. For more information, please refer to the following article:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-online-enterprise-help/synchronize-sharepoint-content-with-outlook-HA101964720.aspx

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Hi Wavemaster,

You can get most fields to sync, but you have to add them to the list on SharePoint first. Go to the SharePoint site and the contact-type list, then "List Settings", scroll down to below the columns and select

"Add from existing site columns". There you should be able to find all Outlook fields unter "Contact Type" and the field "Category" as a "Base Columns" field. Add them all and then it should sync to Outlook. To my knowledge, only the "Salutations/Title" field that is part of the full name is missing.

I just finished my own struggle with trying to implement shared contacts in our small business setting. In the end, the SharePoint to Outlook and further on to Exchange (mobile devices) was not reliable enough for our needs. Now we are using an otherwise empty "user" to share the contacts with everyone keeping it all on Exchange. Read all about it at:

community.office365.com/.../13008.aspx

Good luck.

All Replies
  • Hi wavemaster00,

I understand that you created a contacts list on SharePoint and set the category field. However, after connecting to Outlook, the categories field stays empty in Outlook. If there is any misunderstanding, please let me know.

In fact, we can only synchronize a limited set of pre-defined properties by using the Connect to Outlook feature. All Outlook users will see the same information when they view synchronized SharePoint list items. This is true even if an Outlook field such as Categories does not appear. For more information, please refer to the following article:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-online-enterprise-help/synchronize-sharepoint-content-with-outlook-HA101964720.aspx

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Thanks for your reply. There is no misunderstanding.

Sooooo.... the link you provided goes to the description of the features and I have copied the essential information below. You suggest "for more information"

Well the marketing lingo clearly obfuscates some essential information

Can I suggest that Microsoft changes the language to something like this....

"You can only synchronize a limited set of pre-defined properties, we won't tell you what they are so you can spend your time posting questions on our forums. When you have discovered one of these missing by design features, our friendly employees will again send you a copy of the marketing lingo to remind you what a swell job we do in promising functionality and leaving essential features out"

Josephine it seems that you did not think it would be worthwhile for Office365 users to know what the limited set of pre-defined properties are, correct?

You can synchronize a SharePoint contact list between Outlook 2010 and SharePoint 2010. This enables you to store, share, and manage SharePoint contacts more efficiently in Outlook. You can also take the contact list offline, work with the contacts, bring them back online, and then synchronize them either from Outlook 2010 or SharePoint 2010.

From Outlook 2010, the synchronized SharePoint contact list works just like other Outlook contact folders. You can view, edit, print, and even call these contacts by using Microsoft Office Communicator. You can send them e-mail messages and meeting requests, use color categories, store multiple phone numbers and e-mail addresses, and include contact photos, Electronic Business Cards, as well as birthday and anniversary information.

This contact list synchronization is two-way or bi-directional. Changes made in Outlook to these contacts are automatically synchronized with the SharePoint Contact list. Changes made to the SharePoint Contact list are automatically synchronized with the contacts in Outlook.

When you open a SharePoint contact in Outlook or open the Contact list in SharePoint 2010, you see the latest changes. If changes are made to the contact in Outlook while the SharePoint Contact list is opened, you must refresh the browser to see the latest changes in the SharePoint list. If changes are made to the SharePoint Contact list while the contact is opened in Outlook, you must use the Send/Receive command to see the latest changes in the Outlook contact.

• Hi Wavemaster,

You can get most fields to sync, but you have to add them to the list on SharePoint first. Go to the SharePoint site and the contact-type list, then "List Settings", scroll down to below the columns and select

"Add from existing site columns". There you should be able to find all Outlook fields unter "Contact Type" and the field "Category" as a "Base Columns" field. Add them all and then it should sync to Outlook. To my knowledge, only the "Salutations/Title" field that is part of the full name is missing.

I just finished my own struggle with trying to implement shared contacts in our small business setting. In the end, the SharePoint to Outlook and further on to Exchange (mobile devices) was not reliable enough for our needs. Now we are using an otherwise empty "user" to share the contacts with everyone keeping it all on Exchange. Read all about it at:

community.office365.com/.../13008.aspx

Good luck.

• Hi Wavemaster,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Josephine Meng

• Use Categories instead of Category.  I got it to work perfectly.  

Mike

http://www.tech-services.ca/