Skydrive Pro for Dummies (Me being one...)

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

We just got transfered from the "old" O365 P1 to the new 2013 O365. I was quite interested in Skydrive Pro as we current use a NAS as shared drive where we store all the "sharable" company documents and would like to move to an online solution.

I have been looking at SDP for the last hour and quite frankly I can't work out how it works (I gave up on Sharepoint long ago as well... too complicated). What I need is as follows:

1- A "cloud" repository that can be used in a similar fashion to a network drive (i.e. it can be either mapped as a network drive or have a shortcut on the desktop, like the non-Pro Skydrive). This would be a shared space for everyone, I don't care or want "personal" Drives.

2- The ability to easily upload ANY file through drag-and-drop, rather than having cumbersome "upload" procedures.

3- Be able to open the file anywhere where a client application exists (as in non-Pro Skydrive), with said applications being freely available (at least for Windows Vista to 8). I have a large installed base of Office 2010 and will not change just because MSFT wants me to.

How can I easily implement this?

I gave up on Sharepoint because it's too complicated, with a focus on teamwork and teamsites and whatnot. We are a small company, with a small office. I don't need "online collaboration", I need online STORAGE and sharing!

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi cfduarte,

Based on your description, you can create mapped network drives that connect to SharePoint Online sites. After you configure a mapped network drive to connect to SharePoint Online sites, you can perform the following actions by using Windows Explorer:
    • Drag files into libraries
    • Create folders
    • Move and copy files
    • Delete multiple files at one time

To map a network drive to a SharePoint Online site, follow these steps:
    1. Sign in to the SharePoint Online site by using your Office 365 credentials. Make sure that you click to select the Keep me signed in check box.
    2. Right-click Computer from the Desktop, or within Windows Explorer, and then click Map Network Drive.
    3. Click the Connect to a Web site that you can store your documents and pictures link, and then click Next two times.
    4. Type the site URL, click Next, and then follow the instructions in the wizard. For example, type https://contoso.sharepoint.com.

Here’s an article for your reference:

Thanks,
    Ella Huang

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Doesn't work. "The folder you entered does not appear to be valid."

I followed the KB article, but I cannot open the Sharepoint library with Explorer ("Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer"), which appears to be due to me being on a P1 plan (at least according to some people in the community).

• Hi,

You say you have no interest in a teamsite, but then you say you want everyone to be able to share, that is what a teamsite gives you. The team site will start at 10GB, and then get added to for each users, if you use the Skydrive Pro, it will only be 7GB and you willneed to manualy add every users to it.

• Hi Robert,

What I want is a cloud-based network drive. Something like dropbox.

I don't need teamsites (plural), there aren't any "teams" (or, if you prefer, the whole company is one team) and there isn't any online collaboration (e.g. you won't have two people working on the same document at the same time and, in almost every cases, at different times!).

I can understand the appeal of online collaboration for larger companies, but someone our size (13 people and only 8 with email addresses), with a single office, it makes no sense whatsoever.

The whole approach with the original P plans and now with the Small Business plans is, IMO, plain wrong and complicated. It should be easily accessible and configurable by someone with non-admin experience (it isn't in some points, SharePoint and Lync being prime exemples), it should be simple and basic. Instead, apart from email which is straight-forward, it's time consuming.

When we first "moved" to O365 (more than a year ago), I had to struggle with half-baked solutions to integrate our existing website (which, like most people, already exists and isn't transferable to the SharePoint website based approach) and ended up with two addresses (one of the xxxxxx.sharepoint.com kind). When I tried to use SharePoint, it was complicated and not intuitive, so I gave up. And I don't have a clue on what Lync is for. We don't use messanging internaly and externaly Skype works fine.

So, I apologize for the rant, but I am getting constantly frustrated by MSFT missing the mark.

• Hi cfduarte,

You can also use SkyDrive Pro to store your documents. SkyDrive Pro is a personal library. Moreover, you can also share documents with other people in your organization and give them permission to view or edit the contents. Here is an article for your reference:

What is SkyDrive Pro?

Thanks,
    Young Yang

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Young,

I know what Skydrive Pro appears to be. Please read my initial post.Still doesn't address my problema.

• Hi cfduarte,

As Robert has mentioned, team site does give you a shared place for working collaboration. In addition, you can share items such as documents and folders in SkyDrive Pro with people in your organization. When you set up this sharing, you can set permissions for viewing or editing the document or folder. You can also optionally send an email to inform people that you’ve shared the document or folder with them. For detailed steps of setting up SkyDrive Pro, please refer to the following article:

Here’s some additional information:

Thanks,
    Ella Huang
  • Hi Ella,

Thank you for your answer.

I am having some problems with SDP as a NAS replacement because:

1- I cannot have a single, company-wide SDP drive (as I said, I don't care for "personal" drives).

2- There doesn't seem to be a way to access SDP from Explorer without having Office 2013 installed. That is a non-starter, as I have older Office installations that I will not upgrade just on SDP.

Before, you suggested using a library on SP, but as I replied, I cannot get it to open on explorer nor set it up as a network drive. Can you please tell me what I am doing wrong or missing?

• Hi cfduarte,

Regarding the "Your client does not support opening this list with Windows Explorer" issue, please do the following steps to narrow down this issue:

1. Work with Internet Explorer.
    2. Sign in to the SharePoint Online site by using your Office 365 credentials, and make sure that you click to select the Keep me signed in check box.
    3. Make sure that the SharePoint Online URLs have been added to your Trusted sites zone in Internet Explorer.
    4. Make sure that the latest Windows updates are applied. If all the latest updates are applied, and the issue persists, make sure that the WebClient service is running.
    For the detailed steps, please refer to the following help article: How to use the "Open with Explorer" command and how to troubleshoot issues with this option in SharePoint Online.

In addition, I notice the support article about How to configure and to troubleshoot mapped network drives that connect to SharePoint Online sites in Office 365 for enterprises applies to Microsoft Office 365 for Enterprises (pre-upgrade) and Microsoft Office 365 for education (pre-upgrade), it could be some limitations when customer is using the Microsoft Office 365 for Small Business. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Allen Qiu

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

• Hi Allen,

I managed to map SP as a network drive from other computer. There seems to be something wrong with mine (and no, it's not the Trusted sites or the WebClient, already checked) but I don't have time now to try and sort it out.

I will "test" SP to see if it is usable as a NAS replacement, although I am having some problems thinking out an affordable on site and secondary off site (daily) backup solution.

• Hi Cfduarte,

I came across your post, and was wondering if you ever came up with a solution.

I am looking for the exact same solution. I am simply looking for a network drive, with data in the cloud.

We are presently using Jungle Disk Online Drive, and am not happy with there support.

Please let me know how you made out with SDP.

thanks,

Mike

• Hi Mike,

You can use the SkyDrive Pro sync client to sync your documents from your SharePoint Online site to a local folder. You can download and install the stand-alone version of SkyDrive Pro sync client at the following site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2903984

If you have any other concerns or requirements when using or deploying the SkyDrive sync client in your organization, it's suggested you create a new thread in our forum, then our support engineer will follow up on the thread you created and help to find out a resolution to meet the requirements.

Thanks,
    Allen Qiu