No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

SocialCommentWebPart Title property not working

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

I'm have SocialCommentWebPart inside a Web Part Zone in page layout. For some reason web part title field is not reflected to the page when that page layout is used - instead the title is always empty. I've tried both creating new page which uses this page layout, and also changed page layout of existing page.

I've drag&dropped the items on the page using SPDesigner and Note Board works otherwise perfectly when I use this page layout. Here is the web part zone and note board section:

<WebPartPages:WebPartZone id="g_D502D3FBD5D041AD86F46D48E9D6C90A" runat="server" title="Bottom"><ZoneTemplate>

<SPSWC:SocialCommentWebPart runat="server" AllowEdit="True" AllowConnect="True" ConnectionID="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" Title="Comments" IsIncluded="True" Dir="Default" PartImageLarge="" IsVisible="True" AllowMinimize="True" ZoneID="" ID="g_b6e1e9ac_0106_4287_b446_bb9a1e6552e9" FrameState="Normal" ExportMode="All" TitleLocIdNum="0" AllowHide="True" SuppressWebPartChrome="False" DetailLink="" ChromeType="TitleOnly" DescriptionLocId="Null" TitleLocId="Null" MissingAssembly="Cannot import this Web Part." PartImageSmall="" AllowRemove="True" HelpMode="Modeless" FrameType="TitleBarOnly" AllowZoneChange="True" PartOrder="2" Description="Enable users to leave short, publicly-viewable notes about this page." HelpLink="" DescriptionLocIdNum="0" ExportControlledProperties="True" IsIncludedFilter="" __MarkupType="vsattributemarkup" __WebPartId="{b6e1e9ac-0106-4287-b446-bb9a1e6552e9}" WebPart="true" Height="" Width="">
</SPSWC:SocialCommentWebPart>

</ZoneTemplate></WebPartPages:WebPartZone>

How should I define Title of the web part so that it is shown on the page?

Verified Answer
  • Ended up creating workaround as according to Service Request, this is a product feature.

Created simple jQuery script in which I replace the title of the web part when page is loading. Seems to work fine. Details here.

All Replies
  • Hello Jussi Palo,

Are you doing this editing in the Advanced View?  I was getting a message that the server was rejecting the title change when I was doing this.  And then it would not show a name within SharePoint Designer.

I went to the site page and changed the title directly through the Edit Web Part menu to get the change to go through.  I refreshed SharePoint Designer and it was then being shown.

Matt Gill

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Hi,

thanks for the reply, I can modify the title just fine of an existing Web Part. The issue I'm having is when I change Page Layout of an existing page OR create new page that uses this specific Page Layout in which this SocialCommentWebPart is defined.

When the Page Layout is taken into use, all Web Parts defined on it are added to respective Web Part Zones, also various properties defined in the Page Layout for the Web Parts are configured correctly. For some reason Note Board Title field is something that is not set correctly in my scenario.

If I add CQWP (with some custom Title) in the Page Layout and create new page that uses that layout, CQWP does show that title fine.

• Hello Jussi,

Were you still having this issue?  If so, can you show me some screenshots of reproducing the issue?  

Matt Gill

• Still having the issue. See below for repro steps.

1. Check out Page Layout file in SPD
    2. Edit File in Advanced Mode
    3. SocialCommentWebPart looks like this:
      1. <SPSWC:SocialCommentWebPart runat="server" AllowEdit="True" AllowConnect="True" ConnectionID="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" Title="" IsIncluded="True" Dir="Default" PartImageLarge="" IsVisible="True" AllowMinimize="True" ZoneID="g_D502D3FBD5D041AD86F46D48E9D6C90A" ID="g_853a0fec_97cf_44e0_8d41_2c381c32d055" FrameState="Normal" ExportMode="All" TitleLocIdNum="0" AllowHide="True" SuppressWebPartChrome="False" DetailLink="" ChromeType="TitleOnly" DescriptionLocId="Null" TitleLocId="Null" MissingAssembly="Cannot import this Web Part." PartImageSmall="" AllowRemove="True" HelpMode="Modeless" FrameType="TitleBarOnly" AllowZoneChange="True" PartOrder="2" Description="" HelpLink="" DescriptionLocIdNum="0" ExportControlledProperties="True" IsIncludedFilter="" __MarkupType="vsattributemarkup" __WebPartId="{853A0FEC-97CF-44E0-8D41-2C381C32D055}" WebPart="true" Height="" Width="">
    4. Add Title for the SocialCommentWebPart using the Tag Properties Task Pane in SPD
    5. SocialCommentWebPart looks like this:
      1.  <SPSWC:SocialCommentWebPart runat="server" AllowEdit="True" AllowConnect="True" ConnectionID="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" Title="Comments &amp; Questions" IsIncluded="True" Dir="Default" PartImageLarge="" IsVisible="True" AllowMinimize="True" ZoneID="g_D502D3FBD5D041AD86F46D48E9D6C90A" ID="g_853a0fec_97cf_44e0_8d41_2c381c32d055" FrameState="Normal" ExportMode="All" TitleLocIdNum="0" AllowHide="True" SuppressWebPartChrome="False" DetailLink="" ChromeType="TitleOnly" DescriptionLocId="Null" TitleLocId="Null" MissingAssembly="Cannot import this Web Part." PartImageSmall="" AllowRemove="True" HelpMode="Modeless" FrameType="TitleBarOnly" AllowZoneChange="True" PartOrder="2" Description="" HelpLink="" DescriptionLocIdNum="0" ExportControlledProperties="True" IsIncludedFilter="" __MarkupType="vsattributemarkup" __WebPartId="{853A0FEC-97CF-44E0-8D41-2C381C32D055}" WebPart="true" Height="" Width="">
        <SPSWC:SocialCommentControl runat="server">
        </SPSWC:SocialCommentControl>
    6. Save Page Layout file in SPD by clicking  Save
    7. Check In the Page Layout file and select Publish a major version
    8. Verify that the Page Layout file still contains SocialCommentWebPart as in step 5.
    9. Close Page Layout file in SPD
    10. Edit the Page Layout File in Advanced Mode in SPD (do not check out the file)
    11. SocialCommentWebPart tag has reverted to what it was in step 3
      1. <SPSWC:SocialCommentWebPart runat="server" AllowEdit="True" AllowConnect="True" ConnectionID="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" Title="" IsIncluded="True" Dir="Default" PartImageLarge="" IsVisible="True" AllowMinimize="True" ZoneID="g_D502D3FBD5D041AD86F46D48E9D6C90A" ID="g_853a0fec_97cf_44e0_8d41_2c381c32d055" FrameState="Normal" ExportMode="All" TitleLocIdNum="0" AllowHide="True" SuppressWebPartChrome="False" DetailLink="" ChromeType="TitleOnly" DescriptionLocId="Null" TitleLocId="Null" MissingAssembly="Cannot import this Web Part." PartImageSmall="" AllowRemove="True" HelpMode="Modeless" FrameType="TitleBarOnly" AllowZoneChange="True" PartOrder="2" Description="" HelpLink="" DescriptionLocIdNum="0" ExportControlledProperties="True" IsIncludedFilter="" __MarkupType="vsattributemarkup" __WebPartId="{853A0FEC-97CF-44E0-8D41-2C381C32D055}" WebPart="true" Height="" Width="">
    12. Obviously using that Page Layout will result in SocialCommentWebPart having Untitled title

• Thanks Jussi,

I have tested this further and found that it does seem that the Title field is not being saved.  If you would like to create a service request, I can bring this up to our product team.  You can create a service request from the Support area in the Admin page of portal.microsoftonline.com.  And then once created, let me know the number, so that I can get the process started right away.

Matt Gill

• Thanks Matt. Created service request with ID <SR# removed by moderator>.

• Thanks Jussi and I see that you have been contacted by support as well.

Matt Gill

• Ended up creating workaround as according to Service Request, this is a product feature.

Created simple jQuery script in which I replace the title of the web part when page is loading. Seems to work fine. Details here.