No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Commands greyed out - Browser issues?

This question is answered This question is answered

When commands are greyed out on my Office 365 Plan P1 Teamsite, the tool-tip message is unhelpful; the advice to get help with F2 is unspecific. For example, it says I may not have permission to use a command.

Can you point me at specific advice on which commands need to have permissions granted?

Are there some that don't work in Plan P1? If so, which ones?

It appears the problem is sometimes a browser issue, as in the following.

On Windows Vista, "open in explorer" only works for me with Internet Explorer - AND it only works after I disable UAC!

With Firefox or Chrome, it still does not work after disabling UAC.

Is there something else I can do to make "open in explorer" work in Chrome/Firefox?

The "connect to office" and "sync to sharepoint workspace" are greyed out in all 3 browsers - why?

Verified Answer
  • Hi Clan,

In Office 365 for Windows Vista, If we want to experience the Open with Explorer command, we should make sure that pre-requisite software is installed and running on our client computer.
    a. The User Account Control (UAC) setting must be low or disabled.
    b. Internet Explorer 7.0 or later. ActiveX controls must be enabled.
    Firefox or Chrome is not supported.
    c. The Web Client service, which must be running.

For more information about Open with Explorer, please refer to this link:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/copy-or-move-library-files-by-using-open-with-explorer-HA101811182.aspxRegarding

Regarding the feature "Connect to Office" and "Sync to SharePoint Workspace":

Those function works with an ActiveX control, and the stssync:// protocol. Therefore, functionality may be limited without an ActiveX control, such as the one that is included in Microsoft Office 2010. This feature requires an application that is compatible with the stssync:// protocol, such as Microsoft Outlook.
    In this situation, The feature has some limitation in Internet Explorer 7 or later version (64 bit ).

With the same reason, in order to "Connect to Office" in Firefox, it requires a Firefox control adaptor. While, Microsoft Office 2010 does not provide a Firefox control adaptor for this control.
    Then, the feature is also has limitation in Firefox or Chrome.

Based on my experience, you may try to experience those features in IE 7.0 or later (32-bit). Even the local pc OS is Windows vista 64-bit, it is available to use a 32-bit IE browser, you could check the pre-requisite software as I provided before and then try again with a IE 7.0 or later version browser (32-bit).

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

All Replies
  • The connect to office button only works in 32-bit versions of IE versions 7-9.  Chrome and Firefox have limitations.  If you want to have all options available or avoid these browser issues, the best bet is to switch to a 32-bit version of IE

• Thanks, but I have Vista x64 and cannot have 32-bit IE.

I tried to download & install 32-bit IE and it refused to install!

Is there a way round that?

• Note: it appears that I already have both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE in Program Files (x86) and Program Files.

Both versions have  "connect to office" and "sync to sharepoint workspace" greyed out.

• Hi Clan,

In Office 365 for Windows Vista, If we want to experience the Open with Explorer command, we should make sure that pre-requisite software is installed and running on our client computer.
    a. The User Account Control (UAC) setting must be low or disabled.
    b. Internet Explorer 7.0 or later. ActiveX controls must be enabled.
    Firefox or Chrome is not supported.
    c. The Web Client service, which must be running.

For more information about Open with Explorer, please refer to this link:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-server-help/copy-or-move-library-files-by-using-open-with-explorer-HA101811182.aspxRegarding

Regarding the feature "Connect to Office" and "Sync to SharePoint Workspace":

Those function works with an ActiveX control, and the stssync:// protocol. Therefore, functionality may be limited without an ActiveX control, such as the one that is included in Microsoft Office 2010. This feature requires an application that is compatible with the stssync:// protocol, such as Microsoft Outlook.
    In this situation, The feature has some limitation in Internet Explorer 7 or later version (64 bit ).

With the same reason, in order to "Connect to Office" in Firefox, it requires a Firefox control adaptor. While, Microsoft Office 2010 does not provide a Firefox control adaptor for this control.
    Then, the feature is also has limitation in Firefox or Chrome.

Based on my experience, you may try to experience those features in IE 7.0 or later (32-bit). Even the local pc OS is Windows vista 64-bit, it is available to use a 32-bit IE browser, you could check the pre-requisite software as I provided before and then try again with a IE 7.0 or later version browser (32-bit).

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Grace Shi,

Thanks for your detailed response.

With Vista, there is no option to set UAC at low so I have disabled it and Open with Explorer works.

I can use IE 9 (32 bit), but I only have Office 2007 and Outlook 2007 as yet.

In those circumstances, is it possible to use "Connect to Office" and "Sync to SharePoint Workspace"?

If not, is there another way to provide the Active X control and stssync:// protocol?

• Hi Clan,

Yes, to use "Open with Explorer" in Microsoft Vista, you may also disable UAC.

"Connect to Office" and "Sync to SharePoint Workspace" is available to Office 2010, and Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010 is a new product in Office 2010.
    Meanwhile, I am still doing more research about the question and will update in this thread as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Grace Shi

• Thanks,

I found another thread where a support moderator says "the “Connect to Office” feature is temporary disabled in Office 365 P1 edition".

I have asked in that thread where this is documented, and do not yet have an answer. Can you please check this?

Regards

• Hello Clan,

Sorry for the delay.
    I have tested it on my side: Windows Vista, IE 7.0 and Office 2007.
    Connect to Office is not working either, however, we may manually open SharePoint library with local client Office.

To do so, please refer to the following steps:
    Step 1. Run desktop set up wizard:
      a. Log on to Microsoft Online Portal (MOP), click the option "Download".
      b. Set up and configure desktop office web apps.

Step 2.Open SharePoint library with one of desktop Office Application, such as Word.
      a. Type the URL of your team site, for example, http://yourdomain.sharepoint.com/
      b. Click "Enter".

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Thanks Grace,

Opening the Teamsite with http://xxx.sharepoint.com works fine in MS Word.

Is it correct that "Connect to Office" will not work in Plan P1, even if a user has Office 2010?

Is "Sync to SharePoint Workspace" missing for the same reason as "Connect to Office"? If so, what am I missing and is there an alternative?

Regards

• Hi Clan,

I have tested the two scenarios (both Office 2007 and Office 2010 installed on Vista) on my side.

According to the testing, the question you're asking can get somewhat complex depending on which type of Office you are looking at.

The feature "Sync to SharePoint Workspace" is available when Office 2010 is installed successfully. Because Microsoft SharePoint Workspace 2010 is a new product in Office 2010, so an add-on ActiveX named "Microsoft SharePoint Workspace Extension" will not work with Office 2007.
    For tips, to make "Sync to SharePoint Workspace" enable, we also need to add the team site to trusted site.

Besides, it seems that we will not be able to use the feature "Connect to Office" in Small Business subscription plan P1 both with Office 2010 and Office 2007. However, we may try the workaround that is open SharePoint online document in our local Office as I provided in my last reply. In that way, we are also able to create and modify documents in local Office applications.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Grace,

Thank you very much for your attention to this issue, and the workaround you supplied.

It appears there are a number of dependencies of Office 365, including this one, that are undocumented or not made clear. This wastes a lot of user time, and your time, which could be more profitably spent.

Microsoft really needs to improve things in this area. Microsoft software is valued for its functionality and built-in help facilities. For example, the detailed Help on Excel and Word is superb. I strongly suggest that there should be a similar detailed Help system for Office 365. As well as documenting limitations and dependencies, it would tell me how to do things. For example, I'm still trying to find out if I can set up a mailbox in such a way that multiple users can access it via Outlook and OWA, but they cannot delete emails (I'm aware that deleted emails can be recovered etc, but I want them not to be deleted). That seems to me a straightforward question that Help should answer.

Regards and thanks again!

• Hi Clan,

Thanks for your suggestions.
    You time and efforts on this matter are highly appreciated.
    As a new product in the cloud, Office 365 provide everyone who can access network successfully can work together easily with anywhere access to email, web conferencing, documents, and calendars. However, there may be exists some aspects needed to improve. To provide a better users' experience, Microsoft is continuing to improve itself and strive to provide improved products for each customers. So, in the improving process, we are sincerely wish each customer could provide their precious ideas and submit feedback to help us.

For more Getting Started helps, you may refer to the link below:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/

Regarding the question that set up a mailbox in you last reply, I would recommend you set up a Shared Mailbox. A shared mailbox is a mailbox that multiple users can read and send email messages.
    For more detailed steps, please refer to the link below:
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ee441202.aspx

For tips,
    The creation of shared mailbox requires you using PowerShell to connect to Exchange Online. It's not available to achieve this in console. You may refer the following link for reference, http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc546278.aspx

Best Regards,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Clan,

Is there any more assistance needed here?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi Grace,

No more assistance required on the original topic - thanks.

I have created a shared mailbox, with FullAccess given to a security group. That allows them to delete emails.

My remaining question is whether there is any way for a group of users to be allowed to access a mailbox - but without the ability to delete emails.

Regards

• Hi Clan,

Based on my experience, it is not possible that users can access mailbox while have not the permission to delete items. Because if a user can access mailbox, he/she must have the full control permission to this mailbox. As a result, all users will not be able to access mailbox.
    However, if you want users could only read emails in the mailbox, you may create a distribution group, and then forward emails to the distribution group.

To do so, please take the following steps:
    1. Create a distribution group.
    2. Add users who need to receive emails into it.
    3. Forward emails to this distribution group, then all users will only have the read permission.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi