No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Export SharePoint 2010 and Import to SharePoint 2013

This question is answered This question is answered
We are in the process of moving from an on premise SharePoint 2010 implementation to SharePoint 2013 on Office 365 and I am looking for the best way to go about this without purchasing 3rd party tools.  I searched help files and message boards to no avail.  Pointers appreciated.
Verified Answer
  • Hi 68jcode,

Please refer to the step below to import site template to SharePoint Online:
    1. Log into Office 365 Admin Center and click Sites in the global navigation bar.
    2. Click the gear in the upper right corner and select Site settings.
    3. Click Solutions in Web Designer Galleries.
    4. Click Upload Solution to upload the site template. After upload, select Activate to activate the template.

Thanks,

Jason Jiang

All Replies
  • Hi 68jcode,

A SharePoint 2013 hybrid environment consists of an on-premises SharePoint 2013 farm and a tenancy in the  SharePoint Online 2013.  The integration of the two allows you to use certain resources from the two constituent environments to build unified solutions.

It's not possible to set hybrid environment between SharePoint Online 2013 and SharePoint server 2010.

For more information about the SharePoint Hybrid Configuration Scenario, please see:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/tothesharepoint/archive/2012/11/09/introducing-the-sharepoint-hybrid-configuration-scenario.aspx

Thanks,

Jason Jiang

• Hi Jason, thanks for the response. but it doesn't really answer my question about how to move content from our existing implementation to O365 implementation.  I know I can export sites/lists/libraries etc from our SharePoint 2010 implementation.  There has got to be a way to import these into O365 SharePoint 2013 implementation.  Appreciate any guidance.

• Hi 68jcode,

If there is no special customization in the SharePoint 2010 sites, you can export templates for SharePoint 2010, and import them into 2013. However, if there are a lot of data on the site, I suggest you exclude the data in the template, and then manually upload the documents, lists to SharePoint Online.

Thanks,

Jason Jiang

• Hi 68jcode,

maybe 3rd party tools can help with migration or integration of almost any external data sources, including local SharePoint 2010 lists and libraries:

www.layer2.de/.../SharePoint-Document-Sync-to-Office365.aspx

But Jason is right, you can do it all manually as well...

Thanks, Frank

• Quite simply, HOW do I import into SharePoint 2013?  Please give me some specifics or point me to a thread which explains it.

• Hi 68jcode,

Please refer to the step below to import site template to SharePoint Online:
    1. Log into Office 365 Admin Center and click Sites in the global navigation bar.
    2. Click the gear in the upper right corner and select Site settings.
    3. Click Solutions in Web Designer Galleries.
    4. Click Upload Solution to upload the site template. After upload, select Activate to activate the template.

Thanks,

Jason Jiang

• Thank you Jason, that is exactly what I was searching for.

• Hi 68jcode,

I'm glad to hear that the information is useful to you. If you have any other issues when using Office 365, please post a new thread in the forum, we will glad to provide any assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Shi