No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

OFFICE 365 is down!

This question is answered This question is answered

I can't connect to Office 365. My browser gives the following message when I try to go to the login screen: "The server at portal.microsoftonline.com can't be found"; Outlook on my PC says it's disconnected; and my smartphone says it can't connect to the server. I'm trying to run a business, and can't receive business email because the server seems to be down.  When will the problem be fixed?

7 out of 7 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • On Thursday, September 8th at approximately 8:00PM PDT, Microsoft became aware of service degradation affecting multiple services. We are working to fully restore services and have begun to see services coming back online.

• Hi All,

Starting to see DNS resolution success for Office365 for European &APAC customers. Continuing to work through other sites.

Thanks.

• Hi All,

We believe service restored for all. If you are still having issues, please let us know. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks.

• hi all,

On Thursday, September 8th at approximately 8:00PM PDT, Microsoft became aware of a DNS issue causing service degradation for multiple services. We achieved full service restoration at approximately 11:30PM PDT. We are conducting a review of our processes. We appreciate your patience.

Thaks.

All Replies
  • Not looking good for now, Linda. This is the second major outage in 3 weeks. I received an email after the first saying subscribers would receive a 25% credit as compensation but I was billed in full. But I'm small potatoes.

• So this is what 99.9% up-time looks like. I thought Microsoft had several datacenters that all traffic would roll to if something like this was to happen? I wonder if they will disclose to us the patrons of this service what REALLY happened here.

(So that's 43mins and counting... by now my IT manager would be at my front door demanding answers)

• I am from from Pakistan, Office365 portal site (portal.microsoftonline.com) down. Microsoft Outlook disconnected. But Lync connected. Any update regarding that ?

• Appears that service is coming back up, albeit not everything just yet.

• It is still down from Singapore.

Any updates from Microsoft?

• Still down in Kansas.

• Just saw a tweet the the service was on the way back up... that was from 19mins ago so you decide.

Still down in Texas...

• Are there another official announcement or updates from Microsoft?

My users are losing their patience. And this is the only website with updates!

• Haven't seen anything more from the Tweeter account (@office365).

• Same issue in Germany, Essen. That´s a really big problem. No Business-Mails are avaiable....

• On Thursday, September 8th at approximately 8:00PM PDT, Microsoft became aware of service degradation affecting multiple services. We are working to fully restore services and have begun to see services coming back online.

• I put these 2 entries in host file able to access the website after looking at service health it saying stable but when tried to access outlook it gives me the error of mailbox not available....:( i guess big mess up behind the scene....

65.52.196.64 portal.microsoftonline.com

65.55.174.68 outlook.com

• Any updates on expected recovery date/time?

• Still down in Vienna, Austria. Local time 7:14,  Sept. 9th

• Any other forums or official sites where the progress could be monitored?

Still down in Finland (8:51 AM local time (UTC +2))