No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Upload files to SharePoint fails

This question is answered This question is answered

I've updated Word and Excel files successfully.  Now I'm trying to upload a 143MB .WAV file and it won't upload. I've also zipped the file, making it 99MB and it still won't upload.

I click on the "add document" button, browse and select the file and click OK. Then the OK button is grayed out but nothing further happens.

I also tried the "upload multiple files option." It works for a second or too and then shows "failed" as the status.  There are no specific messages other than "failed."

I checked the available SharePoint storage and there is more than 10.5GB available.

It is frustrating because I'm not even getting any specific error messages or hints as to what is wrong.  The only differences I'm seeing versus other files that have successfully uploaded are 1) file size (99MB and 143MB - so on the large side) and 2) .WAV and "zip" file types.

any ideas?

Verified Answer
  • Hi,

have you tried uploading your file either through SharePoint Workspace (if you've got it installed) or through Windows Explorer?

And do you get that error immediately or after some time?

• Hello,  

Based on the situation, I would suggest you try to upload the file with other methods. Please refer to the methods below:
    ======
    1. Upload files to SharePoint Workspace, and sync it to site.
    a. Log on to SharePoint Team site, then click "Site Actions" -> "Sync to SharePoint Workspace". The content in site will be synced to Workspace.
    b. Choose the folder which one you want to be uploaded document, then click "Add document" to upload the .wav file.
    c. Click the option "Sync"->"Sync Workspace" in the top ribbon, all changed in Workspace will be synced to SharePoint site.
    ======
    2. Open files in explorer, and then copy the .wav file to it.
    Click Library Tools->Library, choose the option "Open with Explorer".

Additionally, I will do some research about the issue and update in this thread as soon as I get the reason.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

1 out of 2 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • 50 MB is the files size limit for uploads. This is off the top of my head, I can't find the documentation on that to link for you.

• Butch, the limit ism 250MB, as it can be seen in the Service Description:

File upload limit 250 MB

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Enterprise SD: www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

Small Business SD: www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

• I have the P1 plan and the service description above indeed says the file upload size limit is 250MB.  The files I'm trying to upload are smaller than that. So, I still don't have any idea why these files will not upload.

• Hello,

I have tried to reproduce the issue in my side, while, I can upload both a .wav file and a .zip file to SharePoint Team Site. Based on the situation, could you please try to follow the steps and upload the file again?
    1. Re-Start the 'Web client' service.
     a. Click Start, and then click Run.
     b. Type "Services.msc". Then press Enter.
     c. In the Services window, locate "Web Client". Then click restart.
    ====
    2. Log on your SharePoint site by the Internet Explorer 7.0 or later version of browser (32-bit).
    3. Upload the .WAV file again.

If not, could you please post a screen shot of the error message you’re experiencing for further troubleshooting?

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

•  

I click on OK and the "OK" gets grayed out as above. It just sits there and never uploads.

I also try it with the "multiple file" options and get the "failed" status above. I don't get any other informative information.

This is on Internet Explorer 9.0 32 bit.  I also tried it on 64-bit. OS is Win 7.

I tried restarting the web client service as noted above too.  I also rebooted the system and tried again. Same results.

• Hi,

have you tried uploading your file either through SharePoint Workspace (if you've got it installed) or through Windows Explorer?

And do you get that error immediately or after some time?

• Hello,  

Based on the situation, I would suggest you try to upload the file with other methods. Please refer to the methods below:
    ======
    1. Upload files to SharePoint Workspace, and sync it to site.
    a. Log on to SharePoint Team site, then click "Site Actions" -> "Sync to SharePoint Workspace". The content in site will be synced to Workspace.
    b. Choose the folder which one you want to be uploaded document, then click "Add document" to upload the .wav file.
    c. Click the option "Sync"->"Sync Workspace" in the top ribbon, all changed in Workspace will be synced to SharePoint site.
    ======
    2. Open files in explorer, and then copy the .wav file to it.
    Click Library Tools->Library, choose the option "Open with Explorer".

Additionally, I will do some research about the issue and update in this thread as soon as I get the reason.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Thanks Grace and Rene.

I do not have SharePoint Workspace so I could not try that option.

However, opening the SharePoint folders in Explorer worked well.  So that is a viable workaround.

Thanks again!

• We observed same in our hosted farm and with much smaller file. Wondering is their any impact on date-time stamp ?