Sharepoint mail enabled libraries

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi all,

is it possible and, if so, how to enable mail for document libraries?

Thanks in advance

Andrea

2 out of 4 people found this post helpful.

Verified Answer
  • Hello,

This is Cody with Microsoft SharePoint Online Support. Thank you for your posts about mail-enabled lists in SharePoint Online.

I regret to inform you that mail-enabled lists are not available with SharePoint Online. Mail-enabled lists create contact objects in AD. Since SharePoint Online is a multi-tenant environment, this functionality would cause a large increase in traffic, which in turn would cause performance issues for all customers.

This functionality is currently disabled due to the performance concerns, as well as security, data requirement, legal compliance and scalability concerns.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Best Regards,

Cody Spears

Microsoft SharePoint Online Support

All Replies
  • Hello Andrea,

Email alerts and workflow notifications can be sent to SharePoint users when documents or other items have been changed or added to a site. SharePoint Online does not at this time support to inbound email for document libraries, discussion boards, calendars, and lists.

Thanks,

Chase

• Hi Chase,

In your reply to Andrea, you say "...at this time ...".  Will it be supported by the time O365 is released.  I mean this is a pretty important feature for those of us who would like to migrate from inhouse Email to hosted email - which also does not support public folders.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Gerry

• We are also interested in a reply - it's now June 18th?

• Email-enabled lists will not be avialable at general availability. We do not have any further information about future availability at this time.

• For security and performance reason Office 365 won't have incoming email enabled soon, but there are client side technologies such as http://www.cloud2050.com/ or http://www.colligo.com/ to let you enable emails in SharePoint.
  • How about now? :-)

This seems to me to be a pretty critical feature, especially in the arena of smart phones!

• We are interested in this as well - our teams are always on the road - email enabled lists, and/or libraries are a real must to ensure content is being shared... any more up-to-date information you want to share is appreciated.

• Hi Ton,

We are on the same boat. Before Office 365, we had to do a lot of configurations to enable our SharePoint libraries to receive incoming emails. After migrating to Office 365, we lost the incoming email features. Then we found Cloud2050.com's email solution which can sync emails to Office 365 SharePoint list at real time. It is much easier to set up than do the configurations on the server side.

Basically we delegate a workstation to run the cloud2050 Email Sync and it uploads any incoming emails to the SharePoint libraries and lists in real time.

• You got to be kidding me...3rd party app that requires a sync over internet? Let me guess, next MS revolutionary service is selling dialup subscriptions.

• Hello,

This is Cody with Microsoft SharePoint Online Support. Thank you for your posts about mail-enabled lists in SharePoint Online.

I regret to inform you that mail-enabled lists are not available with SharePoint Online. Mail-enabled lists create contact objects in AD. Since SharePoint Online is a multi-tenant environment, this functionality would cause a large increase in traffic, which in turn would cause performance issues for all customers.

This functionality is currently disabled due to the performance concerns, as well as security, data requirement, legal compliance and scalability concerns.

I apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Best Regards,

Cody Spears

Microsoft SharePoint Online Support

• I hope this will be enabled in the next release:

blogs.technet.com/.../new-feature-site-mailboxes-in-sharepoint-online.aspx

• Site Mailboxes still don't allow you to get the emails incoming into a List or Library... At least no way I have found... :(

• We have a products that converts emails to SharePoint list items:

www.kalmstrom.com/.../HelpDeskOSP

It works fine with Office 365.

Best regards

Peter Kalmström, MCT and CEO

• Hi, will this feature be enabled some point in time? Is my only way to buy a on-prem system?