No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

PDF and Office 365

• But I don't blame you smilward@online.no, if the community will have a word to say about this, then maybe Microsoft will offer a solution to PDF support, as it seems that many people are asking for it.

So hopefully we'll have a solution in the near future, or the next release. :)

• Hi again Chris

I do not want to be a troll - I love MS products and I make a living out of them!

But no one in here - Not you or moderators have given any real answer to this, you all talk about security issues and gives no in-depht technical answers to why it is so. The only on who have returned a real answer is Jbooker on this thread http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/154/p/8569/35658.aspx#35658

But I'm very disapointed - I have had several great sales of Office 365 Beta - But my first and biggest customer on Office 365 will not buy this because of the PDF issue. Their whole system are built around scanning documents in PDF and publishing it to Office 365 and this goes for many, many customers.

So understand my right - We are all very sad because of lost sales - lost oportunities. My customers love Office 365, untill I have to inform them about the PDF issue - Then it's a full showstop.

I think this issue will bite Microsoft in a greater scale than you all have foreseen.

/Stein

• This question will probably never be really answered - Is this somehow a "political" reason?

What can be a security issue about PDF files?

I think this issue will bite Microsoft in a greater scale than you all have foreseen.

I need a strong in-depht technical answer before I'm satisfied - dear Microsoft.

/Stein

• Q

"Posted by Mike Gibson MSFT Moderator on 2011-Jul-19 3:10 PM  

Locked Re: PDF's and Office 365

Hi smilward,

There are a myriad number of reasons why this is not not enabled, chiefly amongst which are that security settings need to be lowered in order for this to be achieved, followed closely by the fact that the environment is multi-tenant.

A change like this, while convenient for a lot of folks, would affect everyone within the farm.  One other thing to remember is this: the product was just released a few weeks ago.  It may not be a feature at this point in time, but it may be something considered in the future!"

End of Q"

------------------------------

Hi Mike

Please read my above arguments

...and then please give me your "myriad number of reasons" why this is not enabled!  - This will probably be a single argument about security!

I have worked with MS products since 1992 - I have worked with SharePoint 1,2 and 3 versions - I have tested Office 365 BIG TIME with our customers through the Beta period - and in the Beta period this issue was threated as something that would be resolved at release.

I do not want to be rude - But please give me an answer I can belive in!

I need a strong in-depht technical answer before I'm satisfied!

PS: Have all these questions been reported to your management?

/Smilward

• community.office365.com/.../8569.aspx

• ...and meanwhile...and TOTALY OFF TOPIC!!

• Has this been resolved?

• Hi Scott,

There has not been a solution provided by MS nor a timeframe for a fix to display PDF files in the browser.  There have been numerous acknowledgments by MS and moderators that this is a 'known issue', 'bug', 'engineering problem' that may be addressed sometime.

My hope is that MS will provide a secure viewer for PDFs such as the silverlight viewer they have on docs.com.

There is a way to display PDFs in the browser from Office365 even though browser file handling is set to strick.

I show an example in the following thread:

community.office365.com/.../35658.aspx

HTH,

Josh

• This entire PDF thing really is a shame.  I feel like MS fumbled on the 1 yard line as the rest of Office 365 is great.

Anyways, when you look at your files in the Datasheet view it shows the PDF icon, but in the Standard View it does not.  Even the icon would be helpful....does anyone know how to show it in that view, or why it doesn't show it in Standard but does in Datasheet?

• This sounds great.. But far too confusing for the small business owner or non-profit volunteer to implement.. If anybody has a step-by-step document explaining how to do this it would really help..

I moved the shcool volleyball site to O365 form OLSB and all the parents and kids are now confised as to why they cannot simply click on the links and get the files..

• LT Volleyball,

It's been months since MSFT agreed this "would be fixed" and it still hasn't been, so you may want to move your pdf's to another host so they work. Dropbox for example works fine and is easy to use.  Or use Google Docs.

And let's not forget it's not just pdf's affected by the file handling settings. Html files won't open in the browser either although aspx files do. Go figure!.

• LT Volleyball,

Assuming you're talking about this work around:

PDF Solution: Here's How to Display in the Browser

community.office365.com/.../37625.aspx

I'd have to agree with mch...for a non-technical person, the work around for PDFs is not very easy to achieve.  At this point, I don't have a step-by-step that would be easier than going elsewhere as mch suggests.

Unfortunately this will remain the case until (if) MS releases a secure PDF viewer for O365.  Which seems less likely now that they've said they are working with Adobe to come up with a solution.  Because when the finger pointing starts, there most likely will not be a solution from either party.

mch, funny about the not HTML but allows ASPX.  You can rename your html files with aspx extensions and they will display in browser just fine.

Josh

• Josh,

Is there something about aspx files that makes them more secure or is it just that it's a proprietary extension? You have to wonder whether  "security" is really the issue.......

• mch,  Yes you have to wonder.  There's nothing I'm aware of that makes aspx more secure.  I'd say it's because they can't exclude aspx extension or sharepoint wouldn't be a web app at all.  

Maybe next version they will do that and we could have the pleasure of saving every page locally before opening.  Can't wait.

•  

Display PDF Files in the browser:

http://joshuabooker.com/Pages/PDF-Solution.aspx

Replace the generic icon with PDF icon:

http://joshuabooker.com/Pages/PDF-Icon.aspx