No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

PDF and Office 365

• This post has 82 Replies |
  • 18 Followers
  • You can contribute to the existing topics regarding PDFs and Office 365, there's no need to open a new thread for the same discussion...

--- Microsoft Community Contributor ---
  • Hi again Chris

If you read the existing threads - they are all marked ANSWERED - but there are realy no solutions or there are incorrect solutions in them.

So therefore - A new topic for a de facto solution.

The threads I'm refering to is closed with status Answered, but they ar not!

PS: You did not give any last reply in the "dead" threads - so why follow up this one?

/Stein

• Anyone pls?

• If it remains true that Office 365 can't open PDF's directly in a browser..

This renders Office 365 unusable for my customers....and I got a bunch waiting for this.

Sad, for me and ms

/Stein

• This is old stuff from the Beta period.

community.office365.com/.../32058.aspx

• I would rather not have the ability to open PDF files in one step, that to have anything on a shared server set to weak. If you Firefox it will appear that it is doing it, but all it does is save then open in one step.

Hope this helps

Robert

• FireFox is a fantastic browser - but I'm bound by policies to use MS Iexplorer.

I also love that superstep your describing Robert - But it's not for me :-) 

PS: Weak is = as before. It is not THAT weak

• This also affects html and probably other file types. I think the other threads were marked answered because MS realizes this was an error and has "promised" to change it in a future release. When, we don't know.

http://webbrewers.com/   |     |  Get more out of Office 365

• I agree MCH - but this is rather catastrophich to resale and usage for all of us!

In my simple mind - I can't understand why this is done by MS?

Why dosent they change their configuration?

/Stein

• smilward,

You are correct this is the server side browser file handling setting which is set to strict.  Feel free to keep posting and open a support request.  Also tag your comments with 'permissive browser file handling' which appears to be one of the most used tags.

Here's a sampling of the many threads:

community.office365.com/.../default.aspx

Here's a description of the limitation:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/w/sharepoint/permissive-browser-file-handling-needed.aspx

Josh

• Hi Jbooker

I will do that - I will also open a support request with Microsoft!

I already got the information yoy have provided, but thank you for beeing informativ and correct!

This issue need to be solved - I will start kicking in MS doors tomorrow - BIG TIME!!!!

I love SharePoint/Office 365 - therefore I'm pretty angry!!!

/Stein

• OK :-)

• Collaboration ?

• Hi smilward,

There are a myriad number of reasons why this is not not enabled, chiefly amongst which are that security settings need to be lowered in order for this to be achieved, followed closely by the fact that the environment is multi-tenant.

A change like this, while convenient for a lot of folks, would affect everyone within the farm.  One other thing to remember is this: the product was just released a few weeks ago.  It may not be a feature at this point in time, but it may be something considered in the future!

• Lowering the security on the server side for PDF documents would be a risk. I am sure that this suggestion is being taken into consideration, but Microsoft has to perform a lot of due dilligence before trying new things on Office 365 now because it is a production system on a scale never before attempted. Be patient during the development of this amazing product. It will truly change the way you do business. If you communicate this to your clients in just the right way, they will understand. Be very conscious of your audience and their resistance to change. Embrace their resistance (which will surprise them) and explain the benefits and opportunities afforded in Microsoft's careful approach.  I have clients with a three year need for storage upwards of 50,000 pdf's, and I can handle getting the clients to download a copy to their local machine. For Microsoft Office 365 solutions that are innovated, unique, and well executed.

(edit phone number) - please don't post phone numbers in the forums

• Mike,

Thanks for your response.  Perhaps it would help if you could provide an example of why allowing pdfs to be opened in the browser presents a security concern on the server side?  Why is this of sudden concern with O365 when it's not in BPOS which is also multi-tenant?  Why can I open PDFs in the browser on microsoft.com but not sharepoint.com?

I can appreciate that SP2010 has the new browser file handling option, but why 'strict' is required on O365 I don't understand.  The 'released a few weeks ago' argument is weak since we've been promissed a fix in these forums since November.

I suspect many will not drink the koolaid and stick around forever like Martin Low Sr.  Many more will not even evaluate the service with this limitation.  Not to mension the fact that you're limiting your other business units such as CRM online with respect to limited O365 integration.

Looking forward to your futher explaination.

Josh

• CRM Online is going to be integrated with Office 365. Microsoft Project Server will also be integrated. Azure will be integrated. Windows intune will be integrated. Windows Intune, Project, and CRM have limited integration here already in my office.

The subscription model is all about providing software assurance to a large customer base.

• Martin,

Many of us have had limited CRM integration for months.  Aside from the single sign on issue which is now promissed for Q4 update, there are other issues with the integration which relate to this thread.  Those include inability to add additional file extensions (.htc) and inablity to set browser file handling to permissive.

The real problem is that the two products are being marketed as if they integrate seemlessly at present which is not the case.  As far as we know the allowed file extensions and strict file handling may never change.  It would help if MS were to provide the actual limitations in writing with an idea as to when they will be fixed.

Martin Low Sr.

The subscription model is all about providing software assurance to a large customer base.

Not sure how that comment relates to this discussion.

Josh

• Martin.

All due respect, but I can't sell clients on "going to be " and "will be". 

• Mch,

But all you have to do is 'embrace their resistance'  That should work shouldn't it?

Josh

• Josh,

Ha! Not only that, but I also "fondled their stubbornness" and it STILL didn't work!  I guess business people just aren't much fun.  

• When clients know what to expect in advance, including most of the expected transition issues, then they will be interested in helping you with the process. Explain that they are getting the best services and riding the cutting edge of technology while guaranteeing their security with a conservative philosophy. Explain to them the benefits of only rolling out tested changes. The largest implementations that we perform for our clients are small when compared with the overall implementation of Office 365 by Microsoft. The more large and complex the implementation, the more cumbersome the process of change becomes. Stewardship of different segments of the project by different departments and time needed for consensus building, standardization of paradigms between departments, and the software testing process is going to take a while for each worthwhile change.  One can visualize each Microsoft Partner implementation as the process of driving a small economy car and making local deliveries in it. One can then consider Microsoft's implementation as a convoy of trucks, moving goods back across the continent. The latter is certainly the more complex management process requiring formalized procedures.

Then you can always avail yourselves of our change management services. We can come in to instruct your staff on managing complex communication issues including managing expectations, reaching consensus, interdepartmental negotiation concerning data stewardship issues, performance, involving the clients in the testing process, and instilling ERP thinking into your employees and your clients. Our experience with large implementations and demanding clients including Fortune 500 companies, Ivy League universities, and professional practices. This very problem is one that we have dealt with first in 2002 on another early groundbreaking cloud project.  

[Moderator edit: no phone numbers, please]

• Dear Honorable Mr. Martin 'soon-to-be-gold' Low Sr.,

Save us the pitiful analogies and prideful solicitaions, please.

Then check out the terms of use regarding commercial solicitations here:

www.microsoft.com/.../v2

in which it says:

"...you agree that when using the Communication Services, you will not:...

"Advertise or offer to sell or buy any goods or services for any business purpose, unless such Communication Services specifically allows such messages. "

Then, perferably without further prideful solicitations, tell us how you set expectations for a service that lacks the functionality that the customer marketing and partner training materials have been saying for months it provides.  And how you set expectations while said lacking functionality is not explained, acknowledged nor a fix timeframe given.

That must involve a lot more of what you call 'embracing their resistance' than most of us less-than soon-to-be-gold partners are willing to provide.

Josh

When sense is wanting, everything is wanting.  Ben Franklin

• I will be happy to share this with clients. This is not a solicitation, it is a solution and an answer to the question. I have a solution I wish to share but it is complex and requires training.

Experience means you run into problems many times and become adept at handling them. I can train people to do the same in person, and others can as well. Change Management, Business Process Re-Engineering, and lifecycle software testing and quality assurance programs are all formalized management sciences with their own rules, textbooks, as well as knowledge that can best be obtained in the field.

In order to pass on knowledge that is complex, classroom instruction in the form of a train-the-trainer event is the accepted method for imparting the knowledge. Management such as yourself might learn from a combination of books and experience, yet your front-line staff will benefit most from training on-site.

I am not even specifically recommending our services. I have not taken the time to look and see where you are located. However I am happy to point you to services and resources in your area, and I will do so free of charge, so there is no solicitation, rather a recommendation to avail yourself of helpful services.

• Okay so you have a solution to the PDF problem that involves setting the expectation that it might get fixed at some unknown time while your client can read from MS that it's not a problem, yet you can't share your solution because it's complex and involves training. plus through in some more consultant mumbo jumbo while your at it.

"When sense is wanting, everything is wanting."  Ben Franklin

Where's the moderator when you need one?  Does anyone else think this is getting off topic?

• I wanted to add that he usual method for dealing with questions of PDF functionality is to point out that the problem is how the adobe products work with this service and since Microsoft and Adobe are separate entities there is little communication between the companies concerning standards.  Standards that Microsoft has promised to maintain for Office 365 that they did not promise with BPOS or Microsoft Office Live include ISO 9000 and HIPAA.  The reason I mention this is that there are likely questions about compliance and PDF files that need to be answered before making this simple server change. Compliance requires communication between organizations such as ISO that make standards and Microsoft.  As Microsoft Office 365 is an international product, many compliance standards are being maintained in those countries as well. This leaves Microsoft with a complex process when altering browser file handling. People and organizations need these standards to be maintained.

• Since I am specifically addressing the PDF issue and kindly offering you my insight as to why it may take a while, I feel that your requests for my comments to be shut down are hostile.  Since I am trying to answer the questions I am not sure as to the reason.

• "One can then consider Microsoft's implementation as a convoy of trucks, moving goods back across the continent".

Martin,

The issue is Microsoft's "convoy of trucks" has been sent out with critical flaws that many have said render them unusable. Isn't that why there was an 8 month beta test to find out what needed to be fixed? 

I can understand why as a consultant you have such patience with 365-it's created a huge market of people for you who will need help getting it to do what it promises it will do out of the box. Most of the small businesses I deal with were interested in 365 because it promised to deliver (as you point out) a complex product in a seamless and easy to use way. And to  free them from consultants and IT mumbo jumbo.

Unfortunately, things like not being able to open pdf's in a browser make their lives more difficult, not easier. They're interested in less training not more. And telling them this will be fixed sometime in the future is a non answer.

• Hostle?  That's a good one.  Sorry to hurt your feelings, but I havn't requested anything to be shut down.

I do however believe some of your posts are solicitations and therefore violate the terms of use for these forums.  

While we're hoplessly off topic, perhaps you can enlighten us as to what on earth ISO, HIPAA, or any other compliance standard have to do with opening a PDF files in the browser?

Alternatively, we could get back on topic and someone could help us understand the specific server-side risk of opening pdf files in my client-side browser.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• It is a great opportunity. Also add-on services not addressed like fax from outlook have been popular. The company that does it in Europe took so long to call me back that we had our own solution deployed with clients before hearing from them.

Microsoft is giving us a great gift of business opportunities. To make the most of it, keeping your clients enthusiastic concerning Microsoft is important because this is the product you are selling.

And the things that I say are not all hype, It really is a complex process. Those of us with large scale implementation know that sometimes it is as much a combination of politics, psychology, education and social engineering as it is computer science.

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Compliance standards have to do with ISO, HIPAA, and other standards because of the security requirements of the standards. Flawed PDF files can possibly compromise security making the solution of opening the PDF files in the browser break compliance with one or more standards that Microsoft is trying to guarantee.

There are reasons for standards but to go into them would be outside of the scope of this thread.

• I am trying to impart experience which could be useful for you.

• Please show us in the marketing literature and / or the SLA where Microsoft promises that PDF's will open in the browser. Then we can better address this.

That line of thinking would be more productive to answer the PDF question.

• Martin,

We're talking about opening a pdf in a browser. The only standard to be concerned about is usability. MS agrees- and has said it will be fixed. We just want to know when. 

• That's what I have been talking about.

Of course Microsoft agrees that it should be done as a usability issue.

I am just saying that the delay is compliance and that experienced systems engineers will tell you that they have to complete due dilligence before simply changing a setting.

If people do not have experience with large implementations, perhaps it is better too ask questions respectfully and learn from your elders.

• Actually if you read the first post the question is why the setting has not been changed yet not just when. I am providing helpful information concerning just that.

• I am the one with the happy customers. If you are not interested in how my customers with the PDF issue including law firms and medical establishments are still happy and understand why they have to wait, then you do not want happy customers. I think that the purpose of the entire forum is to approach these issues with an end to making our clients happy and managing issues.  

Happy clients mean more money.

Here I bring gifts to the table. Take freely.

• Hi Josh,

As to -why- you can do it in BPOS but not Office 365, it looks to be that when the product was initially designed, the choice not to include this feature was made per the KB article found here: support.microsoft.com/.../2580427.

As I said before, though, just because it not available at this time does not mean that it won't be in the future.  

• Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  It's nice to see a recent kb article is in place, I guess that's progress.  However, the article is not very helpful as it tells us what we already know.  The article is missing the following statements commonly found in kbs :

(Include all that apply)

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a bug in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

Microsoft is aware of this issue and is developing a solution.

Microsoft is aware of the issue, and may address it in a future release.

This document will be updated as additional information becomes available.

For more information about how opening PDF files inline is a server-side risk, click the following...[Link to Proof of Risk]

Since all of the above have been either stated or elluded to by MS reps in these forums, it would be nice to know the whole truth.

TIA,

Josh

• jbooker

...While we're hoplessly off topic, perhaps you can enlighten us as to what on earth ISO, HIPAA, or any other compliance standard have to do with opening a PDF files in the browser?

Alternatively, we could get back on topic and someone could help us understand the specific server-side risk of opening pdf files in my client-side browser.

The security issue is this.  You can run scripts inside a PDF and that script will run under the user's account.  This gives the script access to all of the content that that user has access to.  This is made worse with the addition of the Client Object Model in SharePoint 2010 which makes most actions scriptable via the ECMAscript OM Library.

• bgulley,

Thanks for the info.  I have two comments:

1)  Can't Forefront scan pdfs on upload to restrict those which contain scripts?

2)  Sounds like the risk is limited to the web application to which my account has permissions.  That plus the fact that browser file handling is a web app level option should mean that other users are insulated from the risk even though o365 is multi-tenant.

That being the case, I'm happy to accept the risk for greater usuability.

Josh

• It's kind of ironic that a co known for rampant security holes, decides to target the humble pdf. If they can build a "secure" viewer for Excel and Word files, why not pdf's? It couldn't have anything to do with the fact that they don't own the pdf format, could it?

• Josh, you might accept the risk in detriment of usability in your own environment (on premise) for example, but Microsoft can't do that for all Office 365 as it will have a global impact.

• Chris Valean

Josh, you might accept the risk in detriment of usability in your own environment (on premise) for example, but Microsoft can't do that for all Office 365 as it will have a global impact.

Chris,

how will it have global impact if scripts run under my own security context and the browser file handling is set to permissive for my own web app and not your web app?

• Hello folks,

I've been keeping this thread open because it is clear, from a lot of feedback, that "native" SharePoint .pdf functionality is important to many of our customers.  However, it has also been made clear by Microsoft moderators as well as community contributors that the lack of .pdf permissions in SharePoint is a known engineering issue that we're working on as a priority.  There's been some good discussion in this thread, but also personal attacks, and a lot of rehashing of a known situation.  I'll be pruning inappropriate comments in this thread, but I will not lock the thread if we can keep the comments on a professional level.

Thank you,
    Chase Dahl
    O365 Forum Moderator
  • Not being able to open a PDF in a browser is a problem for me and my associates as well.  If this is a security issue as you say, why is it I can open a PDF in every other site I visit including office live?

• It is the compliance issue of PDF files as I have stated from the beginning. BPOS and Office Live did not promise HIPAA Compliance, ISO 9000, and other standards varying from place to place. Microsoft does not have control over the PDF standard and that makes it more challenging (but not impossible) to fix. The issue is just a little more time. Meanwhile the most professional thing to do is never over-promise and under-deliver. Always try to under-promise and over-deliver.  A realistic assessment makes for a happier customer. I disclose any and all project risks and delays in advance, and if I am wrong I make sure to tell them immediately. Then if all goes well I can find ways to deliver what they want faster than I could guarantee it.

• Thanks Chase for cleanng up.

Could you please either

confirm that ISO or HIPAA have any relation to opening pdfs in the browser or

remove the false, misleading and unrelated comments regarding those as a reason for the pdf issue not being fixed.

I think we were getting somewhere in this discussion regarding inline script execution until the unrelated quality assurance and health privacy explanation reared again.

Thanks again,

Josh

• It is the possibility of script execution within the browser that would make it not compliant. Other issues are not unrelated, they are the reason that script execution within the browser would not be allowed. Its all about standards.

• Marty,

Since you insist, perhaps you can provide the specific language in the Customer Satisfaction\Quality Assurance Standard and/or Health Information Privacy Protection Act which relate to script executing in my web browser.

While you're researching that, we'll get back to a meaningful discussion of this issue.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Josh

• Did you have any further questions on this issue smilward@online.no?

• Hi Mike,

Can you tell us whether the multi-tenant architecture chosen was to have more than one tenant per Sharepoint Web Application?

I suspect that would explain why browser file handling cannot simply be set to permissive per tenant as it would affect all tenants in the respective web app.

This would be a bummer since allowed inline MIME types are also set at the web app level.  Too bad there isn't a site collection level setting.

I suppose that means the only options would be to design a secure pdf reader for the browser or set web apps to permissive and default all lists to strict browser file handling.  The latter would allow users to set file handling on a list by list basis.

But both would take some time to implement and test.  I'm thinking it would help if folks understood the fact that, while the permissive setting is not at the farm level, it is at a level higher than that of a single tenant.

TIA,

Josh

• Josh,

there are two easy ways around this whole PDF thing, if the files are ones created by the user, and I know one of the early writers was in that position, then save as XPS instead. If on the other hand, they are files that you get from a third party, say intruction or parts diagrams, then all I do is print them to a onenote package, and put that up onto office 365. Either one is easy, and no security has to be changed. The onenote works real nice, because you can put a related collection of PDF documents into one book, now the user has even less work to do, just one click, then pick a page from the index.

Hope this helps

Robert

• Robert,

I have been regulary watching this and other threads as this issue has raised all sorts of alarm bells for the company I work for. I suspect there are many like me who have been carefully eying out these forums in the hope for a fix soon. I have been advised to shelve the product for the time-being which was always my worst concern.  

I must say that your recommendations sound very promising and it baffles me as to why no one has raised these yet. I did personally think about rendering PDFs to XPS format at one stage however I found the XPS viewer on a number of computers to be unstable/unreliable. Added to the fact that XPS wont load in Safari -  which unfortunately accounts for a small number of our client base.

However I didn't consider the prospect of utlising onenote as a suitable alternative. I have just tested this and it seems to work really well on Macs and Windows! One question I would love an answer to and which I suspect might solve my issues entirely is whether or not Office365 or onenote can be configured to restrict users from performing any kind of editing. For example, we want users of our Office365 website to view documents only - no editing or modifications of any kind.

Is this something that can be configured through Office365 Sharepoint or Onenote by any chance? Ideally, we would simply like users to see the plain document itself with none of the typical menu bars and editing options that appear.

Your help is greatly appreciated and thanks again for the tips.

Michael

• PDF Solution:

community.office365.com/.../35658.aspx

• YES

Why not set the proper configuration on the SharePoint server Mike???

• AND again..Why should this be on us?

Why not on MS and "a easy to use"??????????????

• MS - Pls - With suger on TOP - set the apropriate configuration :-)

• If after this very long conversation where this has been described in very many details, you still have this question smilward@online.no then I'm very sorry that you haven't understood what these changes involve.

• But I don't blame you smilward@online.no, if the community will have a word to say about this, then maybe Microsoft will offer a solution to PDF support, as it seems that many people are asking for it.

So hopefully we'll have a solution in the near future, or the next release. :)

• Hi again Chris

I do not want to be a troll - I love MS products and I make a living out of them!

But no one in here - Not you or moderators have given any real answer to this, you all talk about security issues and gives no in-depht technical answers to why it is so. The only on who have returned a real answer is Jbooker on this thread http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/154/p/8569/35658.aspx#35658

But I'm very disapointed - I have had several great sales of Office 365 Beta - But my first and biggest customer on Office 365 will not buy this because of the PDF issue. Their whole system are built around scanning documents in PDF and publishing it to Office 365 and this goes for many, many customers.

So understand my right - We are all very sad because of lost sales - lost oportunities. My customers love Office 365, untill I have to inform them about the PDF issue - Then it's a full showstop.

I think this issue will bite Microsoft in a greater scale than you all have foreseen.

/Stein

• This question will probably never be really answered - Is this somehow a "political" reason?

What can be a security issue about PDF files?

I think this issue will bite Microsoft in a greater scale than you all have foreseen.

I need a strong in-depht technical answer before I'm satisfied - dear Microsoft.

/Stein

• Q

"Posted by Mike Gibson MSFT Moderator on 2011-Jul-19 3:10 PM  

Locked Re: PDF's and Office 365

Hi smilward,

There are a myriad number of reasons why this is not not enabled, chiefly amongst which are that security settings need to be lowered in order for this to be achieved, followed closely by the fact that the environment is multi-tenant.

A change like this, while convenient for a lot of folks, would affect everyone within the farm.  One other thing to remember is this: the product was just released a few weeks ago.  It may not be a feature at this point in time, but it may be something considered in the future!"

End of Q"

------------------------------

Hi Mike

Please read my above arguments

...and then please give me your "myriad number of reasons" why this is not enabled!  - This will probably be a single argument about security!

I have worked with MS products since 1992 - I have worked with SharePoint 1,2 and 3 versions - I have tested Office 365 BIG TIME with our customers through the Beta period - and in the Beta period this issue was threated as something that would be resolved at release.

I do not want to be rude - But please give me an answer I can belive in!

I need a strong in-depht technical answer before I'm satisfied!

PS: Have all these questions been reported to your management?

/Smilward

• community.office365.com/.../8569.aspx

• ...and meanwhile...and TOTALY OFF TOPIC!!

• Has this been resolved?

• Hi Scott,

There has not been a solution provided by MS nor a timeframe for a fix to display PDF files in the browser.  There have been numerous acknowledgments by MS and moderators that this is a 'known issue', 'bug', 'engineering problem' that may be addressed sometime.

My hope is that MS will provide a secure viewer for PDFs such as the silverlight viewer they have on docs.com.

There is a way to display PDFs in the browser from Office365 even though browser file handling is set to strick.

I show an example in the following thread:

community.office365.com/.../35658.aspx

HTH,

Josh

• This entire PDF thing really is a shame.  I feel like MS fumbled on the 1 yard line as the rest of Office 365 is great.

Anyways, when you look at your files in the Datasheet view it shows the PDF icon, but in the Standard View it does not.  Even the icon would be helpful....does anyone know how to show it in that view, or why it doesn't show it in Standard but does in Datasheet?

• This sounds great.. But far too confusing for the small business owner or non-profit volunteer to implement.. If anybody has a step-by-step document explaining how to do this it would really help..

I moved the shcool volleyball site to O365 form OLSB and all the parents and kids are now confised as to why they cannot simply click on the links and get the files..

• LT Volleyball,

It's been months since MSFT agreed this "would be fixed" and it still hasn't been, so you may want to move your pdf's to another host so they work. Dropbox for example works fine and is easy to use.  Or use Google Docs.

And let's not forget it's not just pdf's affected by the file handling settings. Html files won't open in the browser either although aspx files do. Go figure!.

• LT Volleyball,

Assuming you're talking about this work around:

PDF Solution: Here's How to Display in the Browser

community.office365.com/.../37625.aspx

I'd have to agree with mch...for a non-technical person, the work around for PDFs is not very easy to achieve.  At this point, I don't have a step-by-step that would be easier than going elsewhere as mch suggests.

Unfortunately this will remain the case until (if) MS releases a secure PDF viewer for O365.  Which seems less likely now that they've said they are working with Adobe to come up with a solution.  Because when the finger pointing starts, there most likely will not be a solution from either party.

mch, funny about the not HTML but allows ASPX.  You can rename your html files with aspx extensions and they will display in browser just fine.

Josh

• Josh,

Is there something about aspx files that makes them more secure or is it just that it's a proprietary extension? You have to wonder whether  "security" is really the issue.......

• mch,  Yes you have to wonder.  There's nothing I'm aware of that makes aspx more secure.  I'd say it's because they can't exclude aspx extension or sharepoint wouldn't be a web app at all.  

Maybe next version they will do that and we could have the pleasure of saving every page locally before opening.  Can't wait.

•  

Display PDF Files in the browser:

http://joshuabooker.com/Pages/PDF-Solution.aspx

Replace the generic icon with PDF icon:

http://joshuabooker.com/Pages/PDF-Icon.aspx

• O365 PDF Complete Solution:

http://joshuabooker.com/Pages/PDF-CompleteSolution.aspx

• A big engineer organization in Scandinavia can not open AutoCad files in SharePoint.

Any idea anyone :-)

...and guess what - can it be strict mode again!!!

• Halleluja - I can now open PDF's directly in IE on office 365!!

When did this happen??

THANK YOU FOR LETTING ME FINALLY SELL OFFICE 365 :-)

• This is SO STRANGE.

Last night my maine machine is opening PDF,s with IE 9 - It still does!!!

Cannot reproduce scenario on any other machines.

(Testet with 2 of my owne and 2 machines with customers)

I just now opened the PDF file on Office 365 because I thought I f... up.

But it remains true - I can open PDF's directly from this machine I'm typing this message on.

????????

• you must have some PDF browser plugin that allows you to do that.

• Like FireFox???

• Still can open PDF's directly in IE9 without scripting and add on's.

Only change that I can think of is that I have started to use Windows Phone 7.5 Mango with a PDF reader - But that shouldent make any difference.

Anyone??

• Hello all,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

To open PDFs directly in Adobe Reader from SharePoint Online, please complete the following:

1. Make sure that you are using Explorer 32-bit Internet Explorer
    2. Make sure that the PDF is located in a SharePoint Online Document Library
    3. Make sure that you have the latest version of Adobe Reader installed

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Jason Burnside

Office 365 SharePoint Support

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 6 (83 items) 1|2|3|4|5||»