No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Anonymous Access

• Is it possible to make the sharepoint online allowed to be viewed by anonymous users who are not logged in?  I just want something like a quick site with the domain name so people can view only.

• Hello,

SharePoint will provide a web presence through anonymous access.  This is a planned feature, but it is not is currently implemented in the Office365 Beta environment.

Thank you,

Mark

• How did this user make his site accessible anonymously?

artotems.sharepoint.com/.../default.aspx

• I believe the public facing website is currently available in the Office365 Small Business Beta, but not the Enterprise Beta.

Looking for confirmation on this.

• +1

Do you have some news about anonymous access ?

Regards,

Jimmy marchetto

• +1 - it's crippling not to be able to give teamsite access to anonymous users.  The plain homesite is too lame to consider as a real site IMHO.

• Yes. I have the Office365 Small business beta and I can configure a public site with Anonymous Access.

• Could you please provide guidance how I can make the 'My Sites' publicly accessible through anonymous (read only) access?

This is for O365 Enterprise.

• Hi,

Enabling anonymous access is the only thing keeping me from upgrading to a paying account. The public website is too simple. Concretely, I need to create a blog that should be accesible for everyone on Internet. I can't create a blog on the public website, and the beautiful one I can create on a team site cannot be shared with anonymous users...

• Well it's out of beta, still no anonymous access as far as I can see. Any updates? Its insane that that we have to use the limited interface for public access... Can't believe it.

• From MS support:

" Your public facing site is defined in the Office 365 P1 Service Description as an included basic site, customizable by out-of-the-box templates through the built-in Site Designer tool.  A Blog subsite is not a part of your options for a public facing site.

If you create a subsite directly under the Public Facing site, that anonymous access is still there, being inherited from the parent. There is no management option at all for anonymous access by design, even if inheritence is broken on the subsite. The anonymous access permission granted to your public facing site are limited read, just enough to browse your simple, template driven, public facing site. This anonymous access is not meant to be used to circumvent license restrictions for custom and Team Site content.

You cannot change anonymous access permissions.  Anonymous access is granted to the Public Facing site, which is the root of the site collection.  Your Team Site, which is actually a subsite of the Public Facing site, automatically has its permissions inheritance broken from the parent, to remove Anonymous access."

So you can use the SP templates (like a blog) to create a public page but by design, the connected lists (comments/categories etc) remain part of the team site environment and can't be given anonymous access.  This is the biggest weakness of 365 and needs to be complained about long and loud.

• "So you can use the SP templates (like a blog) to create a public page but by design, the connected lists (comments/categories etc) remain part of the team site environment and can't be given anonymous access.  This is the biggest weakness of 365 and needs to be complained about long and loud. "

I'm complaining :)

• I have finally realeased a solution for anoynmous blogs: www.fiechter.eu/.../Post.aspx

Including comments moderation, automatic anonymous access and limited mobile phone support.

• Yeah I wrote an article almost 2 months ago about how to do it easily using the Martin Hatch solution. It works fine but I think what everyone wants is for MSFT to fully support this functionality and make it available without workarounds. 
  • :-) I have seen it, but my solution includes moderated comments (Working, not just enable moderation on the list), then it adds mobile support and finally it disables the ribbon. This should make the blog also usable with comments.