No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Images displaying slowly

This question is not answered This question is not answered
Why were my images deleted from my website?  Why are my new images displaying slowly?
All Replies
  • Mike,

No one but a user with the right permissions can delete anything from your site. If you pasted from an OLSB site, you pasted links only and they won't work after the OLSB site is deactivated.

Slow loads are usually a result of resizing a large image on a page. The full size image is loaded and then resized by the browser. It's most noticeable in incompetent browsers like IE which render slowly.

• I have had the same problem, particularly with extremely slow loading (up to 5-or more minutes), talked to the sharepoint folks, they have no idea, though they seemed to agree that it may be that the server the site is on is overloaded and there are to many read request for the drives - bad news is he said they don't have any server logs - which might be why to get statistics with this new Office 365 you have to pay yet another additional fee

• Hi Mike Bearsley,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

When you navigate to your public-facing website, your internet browser attempts to render all of that webpages images in browser.  If all of the images on the page are of high quality and resolution, the site will load slowly.  To resolve the image load issue, I recommend that you reduced the size and quality of the images on the webpage.  If you use a slide show, store the images in the Images Gallery and try limiting the images to ten or less per slide show.

If images refuse to load, it is possible the image got corrupted when copied between sites.  To resolve this issue convert problem images from (.PNG) to (.JPG) or (.JPG) to (.PNG).

I am not currently aware of any issues where a "server the site is on is overloaded and there are too many read request for the drives".  Concerning the delivery of reliable services I would like to include the following statement from the June 28, 2011 SharePoint Online Security and Service Continuity Service Description:

•             Monitoring and risk reduction: Microsoft makes significant investments in developing tools and services for monitoring Office 365 and its environment.
      • Microsoft System Center Operations Manager: Servers within the Office 365 services environment are configured to maximize the reporting of security events from the operating system and applications. The Office 365 services operations team uses the latest technology and optimized processes to harvest, correlate, and analyze information as it is received. System Center Operations Manager is an end-to-end service management environment that integrates with platform and services hardware and software to provide continuous health monitoring. System Center Operations Manager management packs provide internal transaction monitoring, capabilities for looking at service threshold models, and CPU utilization analysis that is tailored to the Office 365 service applications. In addition, custom management packs are layered above the Office 365 platform to provide operations staff with very specific information that helps identify trends and predict behavior that may require proactive intervention.
      • Integrated infrastructure and web performance monitoring: System Center Operations Manager data is combined with feeds from additional specialized tools and services to capture, aggregate, and analyze the network that operates Office 365 services as well as the behavior of key sites on the Internet. For example, if connectivity begins to degrade, staff can identify whether the problem is internal to one of the Office 365 services or caused by conditions on the Internet that may represent a risk to Office 365 customers.
      • Hardware and software subsystems monitoring: Proactive monitoring continuously measures the performance of key subsystems of the Office 365 services platform against the established boundaries for acceptable service performance and availability. When a threshold is reached or an irregular event occurs, the monitoring system generates warnings so that operations staff can address the threshold or event. The following list describes some specific thresholds:
        • CPU utilization: When utilization reaches 80 percent, a non-critical alert is displayed. When utilization reaches 90 percent, a critical alert threshold is displayed.
        • Service utilization: Various service components, including service licenses; capacity for email; and Microsoft SharePoint Online, are all monitored.
        • Storage utilization: If storage reserves are reduced to 15 percent, a non-critical alert is displayed. If storage reserves reach 7 percent, a critical alert is displayed.
        • Network latency: When network latency is at 100 milliseconds, a non-critical alert is displayed. When network latency is at 300 milliseconds, a critical alert is displayed.

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

• Jonis,

what you describe as to the problem may be true in adding things, but in my instance the the site , as is, ran fine for over a month, then slide shows began appearing off to the left of center, and the image missing started to appear on numerous slideshows and then would pop up 2-10 minutes later......and to be honest what you show about risk reduction is nothing more than words, MS also said over and over that 365 was ready to go, talked about how easy the transition would be, said there would be no problem providing support (which is a huge joke), they chose Melbourne as their  'Partner', despite Melbourne's rep for poor service (well deserved, have seen numerous posts and stories on the net about it taking over a week to get a response from them - and when you did, rather than respond, they email you to tell you to call them.

And if after things being fine for over a month, why can' the tech support folks at Sharepoint provide answers to what is happening...one of them has now spent over a day and a half on our site - and has found nothing wrong that we did - but can't explain whaere these problems are coming from - I'm the one who sugggested the servers - and HE'S the ONE WHO SAID THERE ARE NO USAGE LOGS...If in fact these logs exist as you infer, then why not lets take a look?  Unless they would prove me right...decent logs should easily show how much each site on a server is getting hit and provide info by site?  It doesn't make any sense - but then again with the transitions I've done for people I've talked and dealt with numerous MS Engineers, techs, your Advocacy group and even the VP of Support for Office 65 Rebecca S???, have to look it up, and have gotten so many conflicting answers it isn't funny