No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Modify Header

• Hello

I want to modify my header and footer of the public facing website. Can anyone please tell me how to do it and which master page should I modify and which sections should I edit?

Thanks

• Modifications to the public site header/footer are restricted to what can be done with the ui tools. The master is root.master but it breaks if you touch it.
  • So if I create a new master page and copy the contents of root.master and edit the header/footer, will it work?

• I don't think so - I tried that and it still rejected the master page. Root.master seems to be set up to resist any changes and I don't know if that can be fixed. If you figure it out, post back though as I'd like to know too.

It also depends on what mods you want to make. You can totally change the look with just css which doesn't require messing with the master page.  

• Is there any other way in your mind through which I can change header/footer? I want to include some images in my footer but the basic design doesn't allow me to do it.

• Yes, it occurred to me after I posted the above that it depends on what you want to modify so I added a comment about using css. For images in the footer you could use background images and css.

Another trick is to open the site in Sharepoint Designer (2010) and look under "site options" in the ribbon. The definable elements and the default html used are listed there and the footer is one of them. You can modify anything you like and save it back to the site. I've found it's a convenient way to load site wide scripts like analytics code..   

• Can you tell me how can I change the footer with "Site Options"?

• Did you find it? In the ribbon on the right when you first open site in Sharepoint Designer. Scroll down till you find the footer element . Because the box is so small I usually copy that to notepad then copy it back when done.

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• And how can I edit the header?

• Hello,

This is Justin with Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support.  Thanks for replying to the thread mch.

@pv231-  As indicated by mch initially, modifications to the header are restricted to the built in web editor tools.  Take a look at the article below for using this feature.  If you are able to customize this differently in SharePoint Designer, please post your progress so that others can benefit, but remember that this type of customization is outside support for the product.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-online-small-business-help/customize-a-header-for-a-public-facing-website-HA101836349.aspx

Thanks and Regards,

Justin Ronan
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• But can you tell how can I code or where can I code it?

• any idea where this document has been moved to?

• Hello,

An updated link for help article can be found below which details the out of box supported features to modify the public facing website.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-sharepoint-online-small-business-help/customize-a-header-for-a-public-facing-website-HA101836349.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA102029499

Thanks and Regards,

Justin Ronan
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support