No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

External Users Alerts Have Failed

• 3 Followers
  • 8 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

External Users alerts in Group Calendar are not functioning as of 9th May.

I have tried deleting all alerts and setting new ones, permissions are correctly given.

The confirmation of set-up of a new alert does work but not the change alerts themselves.

Does this have to do with recent updates to the way O365 handles External Contacts and can you fix it please?

Thanks

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi Ruzz,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

In order to resolve the alert issue, manually edit the My Settings Work Email field, and populate the email address as case sensitive.

It is also important to verify:

1. The email account has at least read permissions to the site, library, or list the alert was setup in
    2. Because it is a Group Calendar (List), make sure the account has read permissions to any tasks, calendars, or workflows associated with the Group calendar
    3. You are not using anonymous permissions, which do not work in SharePoint Online and will not receive alerts
    4. Make sure you set and configure alerts to send immediately and notify of all changes

The following link is to an article that details resolving issues where users do not receive alerts in SharePoint Online for Office 365: Users do not receive SharePoint Online alert notifications in Office 365

If the issue persists, it would be interesting to test this with a different type of email account, like g-mail.

If that does not solve your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Ruzz, same problem here - alerts to external users don't work (not sure since when though, we only added the external users yesterday)

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Pavel, they had been working OK for months but failed Wednesday, I wonder when we'll hear what the issue is, are you also in UK?

Did you get on OK with setting permissions for your external users?  I keep an external user profile going myself as a monitoring account since we had problem logging them on a few months back, this helped with confirming and setting permissions too..

Cheers

• Not Ranked
  • Yep - I'm also in UK. We hadn't got any problems inviting the external user or setting permissions for them - everything works fine, except for the email alerts :(

I'm glad to hear it did work until recently, hopefully this will get fixed soon.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ruzz,

In order to resolve the alert issue, manually edit the My Settings Work Email field, and populate the email address as case sensitive.

It is also important to verify:

1. The email account has at least read permissions to the site, library, or list the alert was setup in
    2. Because it is a Group Calendar (List), make sure the account has read permissions to any tasks, calendars, or workflows associated with the Group calendar
    3. You are not using anonymous permissions, which do not work in SharePoint Online and will not receive alerts
    4. Make sure you set and configure alerts to send immediately and notify of all changes

The following link is to an article that details resolving issues where users do not receive alerts in SharePoint Online for Office 365: Users do not receive SharePoint Online alert notifications in Office 365

If the issue persists, it would be interesting to test this with a different type of email account, like g-mail.

If that does not solve your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
  • Hi Jonis

I'd already followed the steps in kb2412093 before posting including deleting all alerts and starting again and all email address of users are correctly lowercase.

There are a variety of accounts including gmail that are not now receiving alerts.

It is only External Users who are no longer receiving alerts, this has been working fine for many months, I've made no changes aside from adding users.

Look forward to hearing from you

Russell Sinfield

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Pavel, have another go a setting one up, my alerts for external users seem to have started working again ! Jonis has set out all the steps you can take if you still don't get them started..let us know how you get on.

Cheers

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Jonis alerts for external users have come back, do you know if this is a result of work on updates?

Thanks

Russell Sinfield

Further to this and in absence of a reply, the above is incorrect there is still an issue with Alerts based upon the MyItems view, i.e. [Me] filtered.

Search doesn't work either for external users with account format i:0#.f|membership|[User Name]@live.co.uk but does for the latest one I've added whose account is in the newer format i:0#.f|membership|live.com#[User Name]@live.co.uk

Is it worth me bothering to investigate further or are both these issues likely to be related to the issue with Search?

Thanks

Russell Sinfield

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ruzz,

Depending on what you are attempting to accomplish with the search, you might be limited with a Live ID. In order to search or control the attributes of external users, it is recommended that you assign them a SharePoint Online licenses and user id.

At this point we have not been able to determine why the alerts are failing intermittently in your environment. At this point we have not taken any action on our side, concerning external user alerts.

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)