No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Can't play .wav file I uploaded

• 4 Followers
  • 11 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I uploaded a video of a gotomeeting recording.  The file has .wav extension.  When I click on the file I got the following pop up message:

"Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

Any idea how to resolve this?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • .wav is an audio format not video. But even if the file was good, 365 won't allow it to open in the browser because almost all file types are blocked. Store it at a place like dropbox and it might work.
    webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • If you place a link to the file and a visitor downloads it then they should be able to play it using their local media player.
    • Top 10 Contributor
All Replies
  • .wav is an audio format not video. But even if the file was good, 365 won't allow it to open in the browser because almost all file types are blocked. Store it at a place like dropbox and it might work.
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Thanks.  Do you know whether it'll work if downloaded to the local drive?

• Not Ranked
  • If you place a link to the file and a visitor downloads it then they should be able to play it using their local media player.
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Thanks.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello DriverFIT,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about playing a SharePoint uploaded .wav file in the browser.

Unfortunately, you are not able to play it in the browser however if the user downloads the file to their local computer they should be able to play it.

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or any additional questions.

Thanks,

Jason Burnside

Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Thanks for the reply.  I tried it again on two separate PCs and both worked (both running XP with IE8).  In both instances the video played upon clicking.... not in the browser but in Windows Media Player.  However, I was not able to replicate it on Win7 with IE8.  All I got in Win7 is the error message as originally posted.  

• Not Ranked
  • I'm having similar intermittent issues.  We have .MP4 files we'd like to host on our Sharepoint (intranet not external web) and some users like myself have no trouble - click and WMP starts up.  Others get the error message at the thread.  It doesn't seem related to WMP association, so I can't figure out why it works for some and not others.  It's REALLY frustrating to think we have this great tool and we can't play media without downloading?  That seems crazy considering the asset library function...what's the point if you have to down load everthing...I might as well just email it to all no?

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Paul,

Unfortunately, this issue falls outside of our scope of support. Due to it working for some users and not for others, this is a local issue however you may want to search in a search engine for possible resolutions to this issue. There may be other users who have had the same issue who would be willing to discuss this issue further with you.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Jason Burnside

• Top 50 Contributor
  • I think this is a handshake issue between O365, IE and windows media player.  While part of that is a "local issue" since it's MS I would hope MS could investigate more.  My company uses Ie8 for the most part (although the example below is an IT staffer using ie9).  However, users on CHROME (including this IT staffer)have no issues...they only have issues with IE.  Go figure.  Here's the error...why would IE not allow WMP to start up but using CHROME poses NO issues?

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Paul,

You may check out the following link regarding the error that you are receiving when trying to play an MP4 from a SharePoint Library which you may or may not find helpful:

Unable to play files with the mp4 extension in Windows Media Player

Besides being a local issue, MP4 files are not covered in the Service Description unfortunately, however, you may want to search through the search engines looking for articles related to your issue if the above article is not helpful.

You may want to attempt changing your Security Settings in your Internet Options.

Thanks,

Jason Burnside

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello Paul,

Did you find the above posts helpful in resolving your issue?

Thanks,

Jason Burnside

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)