No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

DNS Issue

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi

I am looking to  achieve the following set up;

My domain is registered with a uk registrar and I also use their name servers.

My mail is hosted externally with another provider and so the mx records point to them

I am looking to Office 365 to be my website only.

I can point my DNS information to the sharepoint url which works, however, when my domain address is entered it changes to the sharepoint url. I have attempted to use the temporary web forwarding option, in my DNS setup which enables me to select a cloaked/framed option to replace the url with my domain name, however, it does not appear that Office 365 supports this.

I do not want to point the name servers at Microsofts name service, as it is not permitted to change the DNS to point at an external source for email.

What are my options?

Kind regards

Alan

Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Alan,

For Office365, you can manually setup the DNS records and without change nameserver to Office365.onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../hh416759.aspx

If you want to setup the DNS record and point to "www.domain.com". You need to do the following steps:

1, change the default SharePoint facing web site address from "domain.Sharepoint.com" to "www.domain.com" onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../gg549209.aspx

2, Go to portal.microsoftonline.com/.../DomainManager.aspx and write down the SharePoint related record ,then put them in your DNS hosting.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Just to clarify, will I need to add the domain and verify it, within the Office 365 platform and then complete your steps 1 & 2.

Will I have to setup a web forwarding rule with my domain registrar, or is there some way of obtaining the IP address for the web site hosted by Office 365.

Many thanks

Alan

• Hi Alan,

Thanks for posting here.

For the first question: will I need to add the domain and verify it, within the Office 365 platform and then complete your steps 1 & 2?
    Yes. As you would like to use your custom domain in SharePoint Online public-facing website address, it needs to verify and add your domain to Office 365.
    You may refer to provided article for verify your domain to Office 365 without change name server as Neo suggested.

For the second question: Will I have to setup a web forwarding rule with my domain registrar, or is there some way of obtaining the IP address for the web site hosted by Office 365?

You need to add a CNAME and A record information for the SharePoint website at your domain register.

To gather the DNS record information, you may refer to the following steps:
    After you click the option change address, in the drop-down list, select the domain has been verified, and then click OK. A CNAME record and an A record associated with the domain will be indicates, then gather the DNS information and create corresponding DNS records at your domain registrar.

Thanks,
    Grace Shi

• Hi,

Thanks for this but I am failing the initiation test.

This DNS info obtained from the Sharepoint service is

sharepoint domain server is littleflyers.co.uk

CNAME www.prodnet32.sharepointonline.com

A @ 157.55.229.80

My domain records at my registrar

A   @    157.55.229.80

TXT @ MS=ms14132005

CNAME  www littleflyers.sharepoint.com

Many thanks

• Hi Alan,

Do you use Office 365 Professional and Small Businesses or Office 365 Enterprise?

If you are using Office 365 Professional and Small Businesses, please follow the below steps or below
    link to use your domain name for the website:

1. Sign in MOP with your Office 365 admin account.

2. On the Admin page, in the left pane, under Management, click Domains.

3. Click Change address, and then step through the wizard.

More Information:

Use a custom domain name for your SharePoint Online public-facing website address

• I am using Office 365 Professional annd SBO

On Thursday I changed the management option in Office 365 to point to my domain of littleflyers.co.uk

Currently, my domain is not being recognised by the internet, so I assume that the information in my ISP registrar is not correct.

My information is

A @ 157.55.229.80

My domain records at my registrar

A   @    157.55.229.80

TXT @ MS=ms14132005

CNAME  www littleflyers.sharepoint.com

Many thanks for any suggestions

• Hi Alan,

It's a little wired about your CNAME record, could you please post the entire value about this CNAME record which should include a host name and target address.

In addition, there is missing a spot (.) in the string, I think it should be www.littleflyers.sharepoint.com.

• Hi,

The missing "." is only in my translation to the support request, it exists in the DNS records

Name, Type, Content

@, A, 157.55.229.80

@, TXT, MS=ms14132005

ftp, CNAME, littleflyers.co.uk

www, CNAME, littleflyers.sharepoint.com

mail, A, 213.171.216.114

mx0, A, 213.171.216.114

pop, CNAME, mail

smtp, CNAME, mail

pop3, CNAME, mail

All mail functionality is working fine

www.littleflyers.co.uk returns the browser message "cannot find the host name "www.littleflyers.co.uk" using DNS"

Many thanks

• Hi Alan,

I'd like you can check portal.microsoftonline.com/.../DomainManager.aspx about the address of your SharePoint facing website. If it's "http://domain.sharepoint.com"  you need to click on "change address" to "www.domain.com".

After that, you need to select your domain name, and write down the DNS record of the SharePoint online site and manually setup it into DNS hosting.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Neo

I can confirm that the sharepoint web facing address is set to http://www.littleflyers.co.uk

A @ 157.55.229.80

I have set my DNS info at my registrar to

Name, Type, Content

@, A, 157.55.229.80

@, TXT, MS=ms14132005

ftp, CNAME, littleflyers.co.uk

www, CNAME, littleflyers.sharepoint.com

mail, A, 213.171.216.114

mx0, A, 213.171.216.114

pop, CNAME, mail

smtp, CNAME, mail

pop3, CNAME, mail

The IP address that is provided in sharepoint DNS info of 157.55.229.80 does not seem to be responsive.

Is there anything I have missed in the above setup?

Many thanks

Alan

• Hi Alan Tomlinson,

Thanks for your reply. I have checked again the domain information and find the following information.

1, CNAME "www" is pointing to "prodnet32.sharepointonline.com.littleflyers.co.uk" , not "prodnet32.sharepointonline.com"

After that, you can test again for the SharePoint website to see any improvement.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Neo

I am a little puzzled, I went into my registrar information and it is definetly CNAME "www" pointing to "prodnet32.sharepointonline.com" not "prodnet32.sharepointonline.com.littleflyers.co.uk", the .lttleflers.co.uk does not exist, I have double checked by going into the string of information and toggling to the end to make sure that characters are not being hidden.

Within the DNS Manager of Office 365 it highlights an IP address of 157.55.229.80 for the host name of the A record, should I be able to access the website by typing this address into a browser? If so this is not the case.

I appreciate the assistance you are giving me and realise the challenges of delays of DNS propagation, however, the web site has been down for a week now and if I don't get it up soon will have to cut my losses and redesign it on another platform

Kind regards

Alan

• Hi Alan,

As the A record you mentioned, you setup an "@"  record of 157.55.229.80 . But I also can't find this with public DNS server.

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• The IP address of 157.55.229.80 was obtained from the DNS manager, within Office 365, is this IP address only valid if I use the Microsoft name servers as currently I am using the name servers from my registrar 123-reg, due to the fact that I want to use a 3rd party mail solution.

Should I delete the @ A record pointing to 157.55.229.80?

Have you any other suggestions as to what I should do next, otherwise I will need to redesign the web site on a different platform altogether?

Kind regards

Alan

• Hi Alan,

I understand that you keep the DNS hosting provide because of you need to use other mail service. As I mentioned is you setup  "@ A record pointing to 157.55.229.80" ,but it's only exist in the web manager. We can't resolve it when the public DNS server.

suddenly, I found you have switch your name server to Office365. If so, are you still facing the problem now?

Thanks, Neo Zhu