No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

web site links are not opening in 365

• 4 Followers
  • 7 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I just switched over to 365 from MS business live (or whatever it was called!) adn the links in my web site don't open but ask the viewer if they want to 'save the document.' They used to open just fine. What adjustments / configurations do i need to make? (they are in various forms: word docs; *.mht; *.htm...)

www.sweanet.org is the site.

thanks,

chuck

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • mch here under a new id:

You should be able to rename files containing html code with .aspx. My suggestion for .docs etc is to convert them to pdfs and store them at a service like drop box (until MSFT rolls out the promised fix that allows pdfs to open in the browser). More complicated than it should be, but that's what we're dealing with here.

webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • okay, the fog is slowly lifting. converting the files to HTML, then changing the extension to ASPX is working. thank you!

• Not Ranked
All Replies
  • 365 opens very few file types in the browser (including .html) - you'd have to change the file extensions to .aspx.

http://webbrewers.com/   |     |  Get more out of Office 365

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hello Chuck,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about opening documents on your public-facing website.

Did you find Mch’s information helpful?

Office 365 does not support Office 2003 documents however it does support Office 2007 Service Pack 2 and Office 2010. Please check out the service description here.

Please let us know if it this resolves your issue.

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Jason Burnside

Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hello Chuck,

Did you find the above posts helpful?

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Jason Burnside

Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 50 Contributor
  • MCH was on the right track with the .aspx extension. There is currently one file I have linked on my web site that has the .aspx extension and opens as a link to another page when viewer click on the link. The other files I have include: .MHT, .DOC, .PDF extensions and no longer open in a separate page, but ask the viewer if they wish to save the file. I believe the solution is to have all the files be .ASPX files. Changing the extension to .ASPX doesn't work as I think they need to be converted or 'saved as' to this format. That's where I need help. Getting all my documents converted to the .ASPX format. thank you

• Not Ranked
  • mch here under a new id:

You should be able to rename files containing html code with .aspx. My suggestion for .docs etc is to convert them to pdfs and store them at a service like drop box (until MSFT rolls out the promised fix that allows pdfs to open in the browser). More complicated than it should be, but that's what we're dealing with here.

webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Got it.

why store PDF's in Dropbox? should i link to them there in the meantime?

• Not Ranked
  • okay, the fog is slowly lifting. converting the files to HTML, then changing the extension to ASPX is working. thank you!

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)