No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Open PDF in Broswer

• 30 Followers
  • 60 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I noticed that PDF document content is being indexed (fantastic!), however when opening a PDF from the search results or from within a document library you are required to locally save the document.  It works great for XPS!  :-( 

In SharePoint 2010 you can avoid this by allowing Permissive Broswer File Handling in the Web Application settings.  Any ideas for Online?  Even better, how about associating the file extension with the document type icon?

Thanks,

- Fred.

8 out of 13 people found this post helpful.

• Post Points: 50
All Replies
  • Hi Fred,

As you mentioned, we could allow permissive browser file handling in Sharepoint 2011. Unfortunately, current sharepoint online version in Office 365 only provides us with a limited Central Admin interface. As a result, we may have to download the file to a local place for viewing and editing till this function being brought into sharepoint online.

Regards,

Allan

• Top 500 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • You can 'live' with this in the BETA version, but it will infuriate clients/users for real world usage.  Just now it kind of negates the point in having a central document library.

• Not Ranked
  • I couldn't agree more.  This is a pretty big deal.  One of my clients who I am showing this to is already upset about this.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED!  You should be able to click on the pdf document and have it open right up.

• Not Ranked
  • Thanks for your advices. I have looked into this issue and contacted related teams on the function for opening PDF files directly in the browser. Now this issue is already scheduled to be fixed in a future release.

Regards,

Allan

• Top 500 Contributor
  • MSFT, Can we get an idea as to whether/when Permissive Browser File Handeling will be enabled in Office365 Beta?  Doc libraries are fairly useless without ability to open even pdf and htm file in browser window.

• Top 200 Contributor
  • Folks can get more info here:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/152/p/4208/15960.aspx

join the duscussion in support of this change, and or call support as instructed to request the change.

HTH,

Josh

• Top 200 Contributor
  • +1 for this change.  It is crucial to make Office 365 usable by my organization.

• Not Ranked
  • Could this be done with Powershell?

• Not Ranked
  • Agree.  This HAS to be enabled by GA. My beta customers will not move forward until the PDF handling is resolved.

• Not Ranked
  • An additional concern for my clients is the inability to open html files in the browser. If you link to an html file on the public web site, it's critical that it opens. If we can't confirm that, we'll have to move onto other options.

http://webbrewers.com/   |     |  Get more out of Office 365

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • I also think this limitation is extremely debilitating for the use of the software as a document library. If my PC and browser have been configured to recognize and open PDF, HTML, video and audio files, then I would expect that browser-based software that I run should be able to do the same. The software should be working in concert with the browser; not contrary to it.
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • Perhaps someone can point out the liability here so we better understand it.

http://webbrewers.com/   |     |  Get more out of Office 365

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Apparently MS thinks it's a good idea to have their server tell your browser what you should think is safe.  The result has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with bad UX.  I agree this make O365 quite useless.  It also limits the usfullness of CRM online.

Browser file handling is an option on the Web Application - General Settings Page of Sharepoint 2010 Central Admin which doesn't exist in O365 admin pages.  By default the setting is 'strict' which adds headers to force the browser to download many file types (HTML & PDF included)  Setting this option to 'permissive' does not add headers so files will open in the browser as you'd expect.

More info here:

technet.microsoft.com/.../cc262107.aspx

There could be a good reason due to the multi-tenant backend of Sharepoint Online, but the fact that it's an option at the web application level, doesn't leave much of an excuse as to why this isn't available in O365.

Also, moderators have promissed answers and failed to follow up, deleted posts about this, and closed them for comment

• Top 200 Contributor
  • We convert all of the document that we send to our customers to pdf files so this limitation is a huge problem.  Google Apps,which we are also evaluating, opens a pdf in their own browser based viewer (Adobe Reader not required) so it may be our wining choice for team collaboration.  If MS is concerned about Adobe Reader (and they have a right to be) then they should provide a brower based pdf viewer like Google.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 5 (61 items) 1|2|3|4|5|