No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How to integrate with CRM 2011 Online with SharePoint 2010 Online

• 18 Followers
  • 31 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I was able to upload and activate the list component needed for CRM 2011 in Sharepoint. Validating SharePoint from CRM did not succeed from within the browser but does succeed from Outlook. The problem arrises when CRM tries to create document libraries for the CRM entities. CRM claims it does not have the right permissions to do so. Not so strange since SharePoint Online uses an Online Services ID for authentication and CRM 2011 Online uses LiveID. How can CRM connect to SharePoint when it does not know the credentials needed for SharePoint, I can't find a place in CRM to provice credentials. Apparantly it works differently. During my test I was logged in to CRM (LiveID) and SharePoint (OnlineServicesID) simulteanously.

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Steve,

That's an old roadmap hype piece from MS.   Sounds promissing but I wouldn't say it addresses the CRM List Component problem.

I'd say that describes the present state of displaying sharepoint content within CRM using an Iframe rather than the abiltity to create Sharepoint Libraries from within the CRM interface which is enabled by the list component. 

I haven't read anything that says for sure if and when this will happen.

Here is a recent blog from someone who's close to CRM and even he says the List Component may not be in Q4 service update, but perhaps 'soon thereafter'

http://www.dynamicscrmtrickbag.com/2011/10/06/coming-soon-dynamics-crm-2011-r7/

I think his description of the situation pretty much sums up where we're at...now many months later where we're still at...especially the 'makes me want to scratch my eyes out' part.

"So, since the client in question bought into Microsoft’s twin visions of a) cloud computing, and b) SharePoint/CRM integration, they eagerly awaited the release of SharePoint 2010 in its (cloud) Office 365 incarnation.

So imagine our disappointment when Office 365 shipped without support for the list component, meaning that its “showcase” integration with Dynamics CRM was effectively the same as that of, say, Google Docs! (To this day, any time I see somebody referring to this video as a good example of how Microsoft is integrating Dynamics CRM Online and Office 365, it makes me want to scratch my eyes out!)

So what we’re hearing now is that support for the list component – and the CRM-driven automatic folder creation it enables – is coming soon. Maybe not in R7 itself, since it’s really an Office 365 feature, but soon thereafter."

Does that sound anything like 'it may not be fixed by General Availability, but soon thereafter'?

Well there's always hope I guess!

Josh

• Top 200 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Considering how long the BPOS to Office 365 transition is taking, the section that says the following doesn't fill me with hope:

"With the advent of the  Q4 2011 Service Update, Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online will begin  the process of transitioning customers  to  a common  administration, billing and provisioning  platform which Office 365 customers use today. This  marks the beginning of a program that  will enable even simpler administration of functionality, users and billing as part of an organization’s subscription to Microsoft cloud services."

So sometime in 2014 then if we follow that logic.

Richard Knudson says the following:

So what we’re hearing now is that support for the list component – and the CRM-driven automatic folder creation it enables – is coming soon. Maybe not in R7 itself, since it’s really an Office 365 feature, but soon thereafter.

That makes sense I guess seeing as the Q4 update is effectively a CRM rollup - this issue is with O365, not CRM so this won't make any difference to that other than to pave the way for a similar O365 rollup.

I've spoke to our Microsoft Partner Manager about this anyway, not holding my breath but have been promised some more info soon. Will post an update if I hear anything

• Not Ranked
  • I'm assuming most of you got the same email that I did recently discussing the Sharepoint Online Update happening in next 24-48 hours? Not sure if its a staged rollout or not but here's the new features I've been promised (amongst others like Chrome compatibility):

1. Business Connectivity Services (BCS) <WCF Connector> *Enterprise plans only - Enables connecting to external systems via web service based endpoints

2. External Sharing: Windows LiveID support - Allows Office 365 tenant administrators to invite external users to a site collection. They sign in with a Windows Live ID-based user name and password.

Any thoughts on whether the LiveID support will bypass the issues we've been having?

• Not Ranked
  • Steve,

Microsoft also announced the rollout of a CRM November update today, so that may also some of the concerns this thread is all about.

Hope this helps

Robert

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Well as the November update has been delivered and I have also had a Office 365 notification about some upgrades I thought that I would give the integration a try and blow me down it worked first time!

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

You won't need to do anything with the powershell script

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • Okay I tried this again as well.  The List component installs and activates i believe that was the status all along.  The site does validate in CRM and Libraries are created for Account, Quote,etc. that is an improvement.  However, the Document Actions tool bar is disabled in CRM because HTC file types are still blocked by Sharepoint Online.  I get this:

What's worse, this message comes up in CRM every time you open a documents page with no option to 'don't show me this again'

So none of these buttons in CRM UI work.

Great, Sharepoint libraries and folders are bieing created, but I have no way to add docs, open docs.

Can't even navigate to sharepoint UI  from CRM UI using the 'Open Sharepoint' button.  This is barely an improvement...simply isn't usable. 

Basically what we expected.  Much todo about authentication between CRM & SPO, but no real improvements to the usuability.  If I can't save or open docs in sharepoint  then what's the point?

Too bad.

Josh

• Top 200 Contributor
  • I tried this again just now, and IT ACTUALLY WORKS! I did not need to reinstall the list component on sharepoint as it was already installed but I went through the process in document management settings again (although probably made no difference as it already recognised folders were there from last time).

The buttons are no longer greyed out, and clicking add gives me the following pop-up

And heres the proof it actually works...

I guess the updates have been rolled out in stages so some of you may not have this functionality yet but it is definitely working, and will surely come to everyone over the next couple of weeks.

• Not Ranked
  • It appears that not all the buttons are working. For me New and Actions are not but Add, edit, delete and Open SharePoint are. So we are not 100% there yet but much closer

• Not Ranked
  • I had the same problem this morning Mark, but seems to be fully operational now, with 'New' and 'Actions' buttons available.

• Not Ranked
  • I still get the ugly list HTC-Component dialog. I have reinstalled the list component and re-initialized everything in crm. What am i missing?

• Not Ranked
  • This sounds like good news. Do the updates apply to Enterprise users only?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Steve, yes this morning buttons not working. This evening they are. Excellent.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Platinum, don't know is the honest answer as this is 'undocumented' at the moment from what I can see. In short it has not worked since Office 365 launch, having received an email from Microsoft about some SharePoint upgrades as part of Office 365 I thought that I would give it a try and it just appeared to work and hence all the activity on this post over the last 72 hrs.

• Not Ranked
  • We configured the integration yesterday and were getting the HTC error - left it overnight and today it is working.

• Not Ranked
  • OK, so now 4 hours following the post in which I state the HTC error had gone - the error has once again returned - this is getting frustrating!

• Not Ranked
Page 2 of 3 (32 items) |1|2|3|