No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

How to integrate with CRM 2011 Online with SharePoint 2010 Online

• 18 Followers
  • 31 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I was able to upload and activate the list component needed for CRM 2011 in Sharepoint. Validating SharePoint from CRM did not succeed from within the browser but does succeed from Outlook. The problem arrises when CRM tries to create document libraries for the CRM entities. CRM claims it does not have the right permissions to do so. Not so strange since SharePoint Online uses an Online Services ID for authentication and CRM 2011 Online uses LiveID. How can CRM connect to SharePoint when it does not know the credentials needed for SharePoint, I can't find a place in CRM to provice credentials. Apparantly it works differently. During my test I was logged in to CRM (LiveID) and SharePoint (OnlineServicesID) simulteanously.

• Post Points: 20
All Replies
  • Hi

There is a webcast about how to integrate CRM 2011 online with SharePoint online. You can have a look at the webcast to understand the detailed steps:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/girishr/archive/2011/02/14/msdn-webcast-integrating-sharepoint-2010-and-crm-2011-online.aspx

The general steps are:

1. Download the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 List Component

2. Upload the solution

3. Integrate the installation

Thanks

Wave

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Wave,

Thanks for your answer, I saw this video. I strongly believe things will work if the client machine is part of the same domain as the SharePoint Server. In that case your domain credentials are used when you connect with SharePoint. Even within CRM Online. If you want this to work with SharePoint Online you would need a federation setup between your local Active Directory and the directory services of Office 365. In my case there is no Active Directory! (It's all in the cloud ;)

I am not planning to setup A.D. and federation services and join all computers that might ever use CRM. I do not even know which client computers are going to use O365 and CRM Online. The beauty of cloud computing is always, anywhere with any device ?!?

I dont understand why MS has chosen to use LiveID for CRM and this new OnlineServices thingy for O365. To me it doesn't matter what credentials are used, but they should be the same for both services.

Still looking for a decent work-around ..

• Not Ranked
  • Freddy,

I don't think you need federation for this to work.

Sorry full integration between CRM online and Sharepoint Online is not working due to so a couple server side changes that MS has not made yet in O365 beta.  

This has to do with server side setting called Browser File Handling. more info here:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/152/p/4208/15960.aspx

join the duscussion in support of a fix, and/or call support as instructed to request the fix.

HTH,

Josh

• Top 200 Contributor
  • We could try enabling external access to the site and invite that specific Live ID to be a member on the site.  That way the credentials from the CRM Live ID get passed to the site and they will be able to edit content.

To accomplish this, please use the following steps.

1. Navigate to the Admin Portal (portal.microsoftonline.com).

2. Click on Manage for SharePoint Online.

3. Click Manage Site Collections

4. Click Manage Share by Email > set to Allow > Save.

5. Navigate to the site collection in question.

6. Site Actions > Site Settings > Site Collection Features > active the External User Invitations feature.

7. Site Actions > Share Site > in the Team Site Members field, enter the Live ID of the CRM login.

8. This will kick off an email to that Live ID.

9. When the email arrives, click the Accept Invitation button, then confirm the ID by logging in.

10. In theory, this should allow the Live ID associated with CRM to edit items on the site, including editing the lists.

If these steps do not resolve the issue, an engagement of the CRM team will be needed to see if there is any way to manipulate the Live ID associated with CRM.

• Top 500 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Interesting work around.  I'm having a hard time getting my mind around why this is not fully mapped out on how the two services are supposed to integrate.  Many of my customers are in the same boat as Freddy...they don't want the on premise equipment.  If they can integrate the applications via the cloud (which has been promised) then why the need for on premise to tie it all together. Doesn't make sense.

Your response with the work around using external access is clever, however you said "try"  I mean really guys, no one knows these answers?  I'm assuming these things we’re tried and tested somewhere.

• Not Ranked
  • I will be interested to hear a response to the last comment...

Rob

• Not Ranked
  • FYI I've just had some answers from Support as follows:

"Concerning your service request I wanted to inform you that it looks like Dynamics CRM and Office 365 will be available to work together in the 4th quarter of 2011. I do not have an exact release date so you will have to keep an eye out for when 4th quarter comes around."

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usisvde/archive/2011/07/14/dynamics-crm-online-integration-with-office-365-coming-in-4th-quarter-2011.aspx

This is a quote from the above blog:

"This update will enable partners to offer enterprise customers Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online with Microsoft Office 365 and will feature enhanced social collaboration capabilities"

So CRM integration is only available to Enterprise customers.

The reason for this is (quote):

"Currently the CRM intigration isn't enabled at any level but unfortunately even when it does become available it's only set to be available on the Enterprise accounts due to security issues and the small business accounts being on regulare http instead of https."

Cheers,

Rob

• Not Ranked
  • It's nice that there will be a solution for single sign on, but they still need to allow additional file extensions (.htc) so that the CRM web parts will activate in sharepoint online.  I like this quote which is so untrue:

blogs.msdn.com/.../microsoft-dynamics-crm-at-the-2011-worldwide-partner-conference.aspx

•Today Dynamics CRM Online delivers a seamless end-user experience for end-users of Office 365 – Office, Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, and Lync Online – but the billing, provisioning, and admin experience is different.

It's seemless except for billing and admin...not so much.

Josh

• Top 200 Contributor
  • Looks like other SharePoint hosting providers are addressing this functionality gap:

www.sharepointhoster.com/announcement-support-for-dynamics-crm-2011-in-hosted-sharepoint-2010.html

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • Hi Everybody:

This forum is really good. Now I know what the real status is of the integration between CRM online and SP Online in the E3 plan. I think that small businesses (10 - 50 staff people) can start with Office 365 Exchange online, Lync and SP onine, and MS Dynamics online. But once the public site and teamsite needs complex webparts, a Sharepoint server 2010 is needed on premise. Building custom webparts requires MS Visual Studio which runs on premise. Folks, what do you think?

Toon

Toon Six
    • Not Ranked
  • Antoon,

Visual Studio runs on your local machine, but you can develop custom webparts for Sharepoint Online using visual studio.

The problem with CRM integration is that a .htc file is required to enable the CRM web parts which allow you to connect to sharepoint document libraries from within the CRM online interface.  At this point, .htc file extensions are not allowed in sharepoint online and they are blocked by the strict browser file handling setting at the web application level.

I believe tenants are unique at the site collection level so changing these settings per tenant is not available (this has not been confirmed by MS)  Basically what this means is full CRM integration is not available even though they claim it is available.

In addition to the HTC problem, there are sign in issues between the two authentication providers.  While it has been stated MS will provide a fix for single-sign-on in Q4 2011, they have not said they will fix the allowed extensions nor browser file handling.

Therefore, the claim "CRM Online delivers a seamless end-user experience for end-users of Office 365" is a lie.

Where that leaves us...you can integrate fully with Sharepoint 2010 on-premises but not fully with Sharepoint Online.

HTH,

Josh

• Top 200 Contributor
  • Looking forward to this "fix" of the stated (or lack of) integration SharePoint/CRM Online

------+------
    John Gilham
    Agile IT

Your Agile Technology Partner
    For Your Agile Business

Connect with us:
    http://www.agileit.com/
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • Any idéa as of when this will be released?

• Not Ranked
  • Still unclear on release date (we're in Q4 now so a more specific date would be nice!) Good news is that the release preview clearly states :

"Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online can connect to SharePoint Online document libraries to surface contextual SharePoint content in a CRM record"

az26122.vo.msecnd.net/.../Release_Preview_Guide.pdf

• Not Ranked
  • Steve,

That's an old roadmap hype piece from MS.   Sounds promissing but I wouldn't say it addresses the CRM List Component problem.

I'd say that describes the present state of displaying sharepoint content within CRM using an Iframe rather than the abiltity to create Sharepoint Libraries from within the CRM interface which is enabled by the list component. 

I haven't read anything that says for sure if and when this will happen.

Here is a recent blog from someone who's close to CRM and even he says the List Component may not be in Q4 service update, but perhaps 'soon thereafter'

http://www.dynamicscrmtrickbag.com/2011/10/06/coming-soon-dynamics-crm-2011-r7/

I think his description of the situation pretty much sums up where we're at...now many months later where we're still at...especially the 'makes me want to scratch my eyes out' part.

"So, since the client in question bought into Microsoft’s twin visions of a) cloud computing, and b) SharePoint/CRM integration, they eagerly awaited the release of SharePoint 2010 in its (cloud) Office 365 incarnation.

So imagine our disappointment when Office 365 shipped without support for the list component, meaning that its “showcase” integration with Dynamics CRM was effectively the same as that of, say, Google Docs! (To this day, any time I see somebody referring to this video as a good example of how Microsoft is integrating Dynamics CRM Online and Office 365, it makes me want to scratch my eyes out!)

So what we’re hearing now is that support for the list component – and the CRM-driven automatic folder creation it enables – is coming soon. Maybe not in R7 itself, since it’s really an Office 365 feature, but soon thereafter."

Does that sound anything like 'it may not be fixed by General Availability, but soon thereafter'?

Well there's always hope I guess!

Josh

• Top 200 Contributor
  • Considering how long the BPOS to Office 365 transition is taking, the section that says the following doesn't fill me with hope:

"With the advent of the  Q4 2011 Service Update, Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online will begin  the process of transitioning customers  to  a common  administration, billing and provisioning  platform which Office 365 customers use today. This  marks the beginning of a program that  will enable even simpler administration of functionality, users and billing as part of an organization’s subscription to Microsoft cloud services."

So sometime in 2014 then if we follow that logic.

Richard Knudson says the following:

So what we’re hearing now is that support for the list component – and the CRM-driven automatic folder creation it enables – is coming soon. Maybe not in R7 itself, since it’s really an Office 365 feature, but soon thereafter.

That makes sense I guess seeing as the Q4 update is effectively a CRM rollup - this issue is with O365, not CRM so this won't make any difference to that other than to pave the way for a similar O365 rollup.

I've spoke to our Microsoft Partner Manager about this anyway, not holding my breath but have been promised some more info soon. Will post an update if I hear anything

• Not Ranked
  • I'm assuming most of you got the same email that I did recently discussing the Sharepoint Online Update happening in next 24-48 hours? Not sure if its a staged rollout or not but here's the new features I've been promised (amongst others like Chrome compatibility):

1. Business Connectivity Services (BCS) <WCF Connector> *Enterprise plans only - Enables connecting to external systems via web service based endpoints

2. External Sharing: Windows LiveID support - Allows Office 365 tenant administrators to invite external users to a site collection. They sign in with a Windows Live ID-based user name and password.

Any thoughts on whether the LiveID support will bypass the issues we've been having?

• Not Ranked
  • Steve,

Microsoft also announced the rollout of a CRM November update today, so that may also some of the concerns this thread is all about.

Hope this helps

Robert

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Well as the November update has been delivered and I have also had a Office 365 notification about some upgrades I thought that I would give the integration a try and blow me down it worked first time!

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

You won't need to do anything with the powershell script

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • Okay I tried this again as well.  The List component installs and activates i believe that was the status all along.  The site does validate in CRM and Libraries are created for Account, Quote,etc. that is an improvement.  However, the Document Actions tool bar is disabled in CRM because HTC file types are still blocked by Sharepoint Online.  I get this:

What's worse, this message comes up in CRM every time you open a documents page with no option to 'don't show me this again'

So none of these buttons in CRM UI work.

Great, Sharepoint libraries and folders are bieing created, but I have no way to add docs, open docs.

Can't even navigate to sharepoint UI  from CRM UI using the 'Open Sharepoint' button.  This is barely an improvement...simply isn't usable. 

Basically what we expected.  Much todo about authentication between CRM & SPO, but no real improvements to the usuability.  If I can't save or open docs in sharepoint  then what's the point?

Too bad.

Josh

• Top 200 Contributor
  • I tried this again just now, and IT ACTUALLY WORKS! I did not need to reinstall the list component on sharepoint as it was already installed but I went through the process in document management settings again (although probably made no difference as it already recognised folders were there from last time).

The buttons are no longer greyed out, and clicking add gives me the following pop-up

And heres the proof it actually works...

I guess the updates have been rolled out in stages so some of you may not have this functionality yet but it is definitely working, and will surely come to everyone over the next couple of weeks.

• Not Ranked
  • It appears that not all the buttons are working. For me New and Actions are not but Add, edit, delete and Open SharePoint are. So we are not 100% there yet but much closer

• Not Ranked
  • I had the same problem this morning Mark, but seems to be fully operational now, with 'New' and 'Actions' buttons available.

• Not Ranked
  • I still get the ugly list HTC-Component dialog. I have reinstalled the list component and re-initialized everything in crm. What am i missing?

• Not Ranked
  • This sounds like good news. Do the updates apply to Enterprise users only?

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Steve, yes this morning buttons not working. This evening they are. Excellent.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Platinum, don't know is the honest answer as this is 'undocumented' at the moment from what I can see. In short it has not worked since Office 365 launch, having received an email from Microsoft about some SharePoint upgrades as part of Office 365 I thought that I would give it a try and it just appeared to work and hence all the activity on this post over the last 72 hrs.

• Not Ranked
  • We configured the integration yesterday and were getting the HTC error - left it overnight and today it is working.

• Not Ranked
  • OK, so now 4 hours following the post in which I state the HTC error had gone - the error has once again returned - this is getting frustrating!

• Not Ranked
  • It's official, CRM Online and SharePoint Online are now supported: blogs.msdn.com/.../microsoft-dynamics-crm-integration-with-sharepoint-online-is-here.aspx

------+------
    John Gilham
    Agile IT

Your Agile Technology Partner
    For Your Agile Business

Connect with us:
    http://www.agileit.com/
    • Top 500 Contributor
  • Hello,

I have successfully connected CRM Online and SharePoint from O365 and using IE 9 it works perfectly: CRM create folders under the SharePoint Site I decided.

BUT we have a problem with Outlook Client.

Our CRM is French, our O365 also and our Outlook client also, when we create the document folder for an account  from CRM using IE, its creates it in a subfolder nammed 'Compte', which is the french name for account, perfect.

But from the Outlook CRM client, it creates a subfolder nammed 'Compte' but try to opend a subfolder nammed 'Account' and it fails because it does not exists.

This seems to be a bug related to the outlook client.

Does anaybody have experienced this ? And have a solution ?

I have checked that everything is running with french language settings....

Regards

CS

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1|2|3|