No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

im unable to resize an image stays the same size when viewing in browser

• how many times a resized an image it stays the original size
  • Hello Chaim,

Can you better explain how you have resized the image and where you have placed it, please?  Images are going to have their original size, unless it would exceed the size of the zone you are placing it within.

Matt Gill
    Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• i copied a image from the web and paste it on the online sharepoint editor and then i resized it but when i save it and view it ir reverts back to the original size it was elsewhere on the web

• Hi Chaim,
    Sorry for my delay in getting back to you. 
    You should try saving the image locally and upload it to your site then use the insert picture feature.  You should be able to resize once it shows up on the site.  This method will also ensure that the picture will not disappear if it gets deleted or moved from the original location on the web.
    Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with as I will be monitoring this thread over the next few days and will reply as soon as possible.
    Thank you,  
  • hi

this is exactly what i don't want to do i don't want to upload each picture i just want to copy and paste them in office live i had no problem resizing the image without uploading it locally

• Hi chaim,

Thank you for your reply.  I have been trying to reproduce this issue and I wasn’t able to until today.  Here are the steps I took to re-pro it. 

I opened Bing and went to images, and selected an image.  This image opened up in a new window and I had to click it again this time it opened in another window this time it was almost as big as my screen.  I took that picture and dragged and dropped it on my website page and re-sized it, after I saved it I navigated to the site and the image was the same size as the one I dragged and dropped. 

I didn’t however have this issue when I dragged the image over as the thumbnail pic from Bing.  So this tells me when the picture is viewed and copied in actual size it will not be able to be re-sized.

The reason I suggested to save the image and upload them is that if the picture gets deleted from the site it was copied from the URL of the picture is pointing to that site and the picture will disappear from your site as well. 

Please let me know if this helps as I will be watching this thread for the next few days.

Thank you,

• so you know my problem

No! i want to be able to just drag and drop the image it much easier and faster the resize tool should work as it did on office live c'mon fix it its just a bug you guys are microsoft you should be able to fix it

• Hi chaim,

Thank you for your reply, as I have been working on this issue to figure out what may be causing this issue, I have found the following.

If I copy and paste the picture from the web into my public site and I continue to re-size the image then save and view it the image it reverts back to the original size. 

If I copy and paste the image then save the page then refresh the browser before resizing the image it will keep the new size when I save and view the page. 

I have also tested this in Firefox and it seems to work fine without having to save and refresh the browser before resizing the image.  This tells me that this seems to be more of a setting or an issue with the IE browser.

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with as I will be monitoring this thread over the next few days and will reply accordingly.

Thank you,

0 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• great i knew you can figure it out. now please speak to the internet explorer guys and find out how correct the issue that i don't need to refresh the browser before resizing every image, thank you in advance

• Hi chaim,

Thank you for your reply.  I really wish I could contact the developers for IE about this issue but it is not possible for me to do so. 

I do want to remind you that copying pictures this way to your website, the images could disappear if they get deleted or moved from the site that you are copying them from.  So it is best practice to save the pictures locally and upload them to the Image gallery. 

Thank you,

• Your solution is a work around. Not a real solution. You should fix the software so this problem doesn't come up.  

• When you paste an image from another site all you're doing is pasting a link to whererever the image is hosted. Aside from the issue of the image disappearing when the old site is deleted, unfortunately resizing isn't going to work when the image is hosted elsewhere. This isn't  a bug, it's the way the software works, It's never a good practice to copy/paste from one host to another. So this is a solution not a workaround.

If you don't want to reinsert all the images, you can update the paths easily enough by opening the site in Sharepoint Designer or Open With Explorer in notepad and using the find/replace all tool to replace the existing  "Images" path with the correct "SiteImages" path.  It takes about 2 seconds a page.