No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

HTTPS SharePoint

• That's good news, I still find it a little scary that they made this design decision in the first place, small business users need as much help as they can get with security

• No SSL on SharePoint is a showstopper for us as well.  We were preparing to move into the Office 365 beta but luckly caught this beforehand.  Ironically, the lack of SSL on SharePoint was the reason we moved to BPOS from Sherweb in the first place.  

Lack of SSL on the forums is also a foul.  What happened to Bill Gate's "Security First" initiative.  Do I really want everyone in the coffee shop reading my posts, capturing my handle, and learning my personal information required at forum signup?  This is a no brainer.  Even the competing Google permits SSL on the most basic of functionality, such as search, docs, etc. 

• I was just about migrate my company from Google Apps, to M365 but found this BIG issue. It is not possible to run a secure Sharepoint based intranet with no HTTPS availability at all.

I will be following up and appreciate any further news from you guys.

Cheers.

• I was looking forward to migrate everything that can be done online to Office365 too.  It is a sure show stopper without the SSL.  If I'm paying for it, I want SSL.  

• I just signed up for Office 365 (I was a beta) but I beleive can cancel given that there is no encryption.

Another question:  Does Microsoft have the right to use my information on O365 for their own purposes?  Remember the HotMail debacle in which MS could (and did) piraate the user's email contents for their own purposes.  Egad - this looks like a product killer (as well as a deal killer for o365!)

• Is skydrive also scheduled to be discontinued as with Office Live?  Is it just me or does it seems like Office 365 is just an attempt to get some sort of product in the cloud space?  Seems like some watered down version of Office Live and Hot mail, Windows Messenger and Sharepoint mixed together.

• John,

Get an E account and you get HTTPS, it only the P1 that does not have it.

• Roger, this is great news but it is now August and 365 is live. I have just logged back into my trail account to see if it is fixed and...........no.... :(

Anyone know when this might be fixed. not using it until it is.

• I am new to Office365, well relatively new.

I read with great excitement about sharing lists and data on sharepoint and thought it might be the answer to multi person data entry/ reading for us.

Small business need SSL too, data is data and I think this is a basic level feature that should be turned on by default

thanks to everyone who posted this useful content.

Microsoft, this is a great product, but SSL is needed urgently, please make it better... :-)  Many thanks

• Just wanted to add my dissapointment to this thread.  We're 8 years on from the 'Trustworthy Computing' initiative and we have MS deploying a system that cannot  be secured.  God help you if you connect to your documents over WLAN at an IT convention.  Steve Reiley where are you :)

Won't be converting my trial to a paid subscription

• I am dissapointed on how long it is takig to implement this. This is a requirement for any business even if it is one person if you want to be able to store any kind of business information. I have been trackig this since May.

I may have to drop Office 365 and go back to Google Apps so that  can actually use the online storage.

• Any updates?  At least put this in the service descriptions so we are not giving the wrong impression to our customers!

• Please someone from Microsoft respond.  I know that you don't give out dates for releases etc.  But could you give us a time frame for when HTTPS will be put in for SharePoint in the P1 plan?  I am losing customers to SkyDrive (of all things) because I can't in good conscience recommend the P1 plan knowing that data transfer is not secure.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great product otherwise but the SharePoint part is unusable without HTTPS.  Thank you.

• I'm in the same boat P1 SharePoint without SSL is pointless.  Also remember in E1 you can't edit files with Office Web Apps.  You need E2 in order to edit.  So now you are looking $16 per month instead of $6.

The Email only plan for $5 a month plus SkyDrive looks like the way to go.  Even SkyDrive uses SSL!!

• The fun is that the lack of SSL breaks functionality within Windows Phone 7 as well, and you can't upgrade from a P1 plan (SME up to 50 users) to an E plan.

1|2|3