No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Change look of Team Site - Remove the orange background images

This question is not answered This question is not answered

I really need to find a way to customize a team site, I believe it's the P1 plan, $6 per user per month.  I need to get the orange background images off! 

I'm Googling like crazy and I'm seeing how to customize themes, but that doesn't remove the orange.

I'm finding that I can use CSS files, is this how to do it?

The master pages do not seem to contain the orange background images so that appears to be the wrong way to go, but I'm unsure.

Can I create a wsp file from a standard (non orange) SharePoint 2010 site that I have hosted internally and upload it to my Office 365 site?

I just need blue and no orange, exactly like the standard SharePoint 2010 you get when you host SharePoint 2010 yourself!

Thanks in advance,

Chris

All Replies
  • Chris,

I don't think the regular team site has the orange-just the express team site does. Either way, the elements with the orange bg seem to be controlled by these classes:

.divider

.dCenter

.dFooter

The styling is embedded in the pages rather than in a linked css, file, but you could probably add a "background:none !important" to those classes in the core css file the master page uses by opening it in Sharepoint Designer. All these sites appear to use the same v4 master. 

• Hi Chris,

As mch mentioned, this might be possible through modification with SharePoint Designer.  Please be careful when making any modifications with this tool, as it can be possible to break the site with the wrong changes.

SharePoint Developer Center

SharePoint Online for Office 365: Developer Guide

MSDN: SharePoint Online for Office 365 Developer Guide

Matt Gill

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support  

• I am not afraid of SharePoint designer, as MCH mentioned, I should be able to modify the CSS file and hit the .divider, .dCenter, and .dFooter items. Which file is it?  Do you know?  I see this question has been posed before, but never answered by support.  The orange is nice by itself, but when you need to use something else, changing the theme leaves the orange background.  This is awkward and a little surprising that this was left this way.  Can you please give me a head start?

• Hi mch, I saw this too, but I just couldn't find where to edit it or comment the image.  I searched several css files but didn't find those class names.  Hidden directory?  Or maybe it's like shopping at Home Depot where I pass by the item I need 3 times and when I ask for help, it's right where I looked!

Thanks!

• Hi Cpark,

No, I think this is a case of MSFT making the simplest things extraordinarily difficult. Why they restrict a harmless css edit is beyond me.

Anyway, I couldn't locate the embedded css either and adding inline css to the master page just gets blocked with an external class filter. So I added a custom css file to the themes/1 folder via SPD and added a link to the file to the v4 master page.

<link href="http://<domain>.sharepoint.com/_themes/1/custom_sp.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" /> 

This was a P1 account where the public site is the top level collection so I put the css file in the public site's theme folder but the link in the team site's master page. This would be different for an E account I imagine. 

• hi guys!

I have written a post about removing the orange parts. It's step by step, so it should be easy to follow.

delingspunkt.blogspot.com/.../office-365-how-to-remove-ugly-orange.html