No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Cannot log off

• 6 Followers
  • 10 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

My browser will not allow me to sign out of Office365.  This problem occurs with both IE8 and IE9.  I've cleared all saved passwords, temp files, etc.  Still no success.  When I try it with Google Chrome, it works.  What gives?  Is there no way to may IE9 work properly with Office365?

• Post Points: 50
Verified Answer
  • Hi,

Thank you for all your input on this issue, and I fully understand the inconvenience the issue caused.
    Based on our discussion, I have listed the following key points for others’ reference.

Situation:
    ==========
    Sometimes users experience that they cannot sign out of Office 365 completely. For example, when a user clicks Sign out, the user couldn’t sign out of the web service, and the web browser reloads the current webpage.

Background Information:
    ===================
    The issue is caused due to the reason that Office 365 web sessions are maintained by web browser cookies to let customers use Office365 web services more conveniently. The sign-out process for web services forces the session cookies that used to maintain the application session to expire. However, because the web browser is still running, the user still has a valid authentication cookie and is not required to sign in to the resource again. As a result, the issue occurs.

Workaround:
    ===================
    1. Clear the web browser cache and cookies, and then restart the web browser to see if it works.
    2. Use the InPrivate Browsing feature in Internet Explorer to login with another Office 365 account.
    3. Remove microsoftonline.com entries from the Trusted sites zone and from the Local Intranet zone in Internet Explorer.

For more detailed information about signing out of Office 365 web services:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2507767

More options:
    ===================
    Thanks again for all your involvement and effort to test and fix the issue. As to the issue you concern about, I sincerely recommend you submit feedback about detailed description on what you’d like to improve and detailed suggestions about what you have tested. This will make the feedback more useful for the relevant teams. You can submit your feedback by using the following link:
    http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135

Furthermore, we welcome you to keep an eye on the forum for any updates on the issue that you concern about.

Thanks again for your understanding and support,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hello,

Office 365 web sessions are maintained by web browser cookies.
    The sign-out process for web services forces the session cookies that used to maintain the application session to expire. However, because the web browser is still running, the user still has a valid authentication cookie and is not required to sign in to the resource again. As a result, the issue occurs.
    As a workaround, we suggest using “InPrivate Browsing” feature(support in Internet Explorer 8 or later version) to login to another Office 365 account.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hello,

Do you have other concern about signing out of Office 365 web services?

Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
  • "As a workaround, we suggest using “InPrivate Browsing” feature(support in Internet Explorer 8 or later version) to login to another Office 365 account."

Why do we have to have a workaround for something as basic as logging off? Why can't MSFT understand that when people click "log out" they expect to be logged out?  This is such a basic usability issue. All this sub text and having to read between the lines and do workarounds is ridiculous, unnecessary and not typical in other online services.

Nobody cares about session cookies and the other justifications-they just want simple functionality that does what it says it will do. 

If "log out" doesn't mean "log out", then call it something else.

http://webbrewers.com/   |     |  Get more out of Office 365

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Even closing the browser window doesn't work. What is the rationale behind this awful design? Is the assumption a user will only have one id? Or that users will clear cache and cookies and remove stored user ids everytime they want to log off?

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi all,

To let customers not input credentials all the time when using Office365 web services, Office 365 web sessions are maintained by web browser cookies, and the session cookie can be also used by Office rich client applications.
    In addition, all web portals store a session cookie in memory that has a Time to Live (TTL) value. When the session cookie expires, the web browser is redirected to the logon server to obtain a new service token. When the web browser is closed, the session cookie is removed from memory, and the user must sign in again. However, web services maintain a cookie for several hours. Therefore, sometimes, after closing and reopen the web browser, the credentials aren’t be prompted to access the site.
    In the meantime, once we receive the information about the session cookie of Office web services, we will publish it in the forum. You can keep an eye on the forum. 

Thanks again for your understanding,
    Claud                       

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
  • "all web portals store a session cookie in memory "

Claud,

I've never come across this problem with other services so I think it's exclusive to MSFT, not all web portals. If it works as you describe it's not secure at all. I could log off, close the browser and still someone could access a supposedly secure area on my computer with no credentials required.

The Google model is much more secure and intuitive. It simply lets you choose if you want to stay signed in or not.. Once signed in you have access to other Google services (except sensitive account changes etc) without another log in but not after you click "log off". That's the way it should work. If they can do it, why not MSFT?

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi,

Thank you for all your input on this issue, and I fully understand the inconvenience the issue caused.
    Based on our discussion, I have listed the following key points for others’ reference.

Situation:
    ==========
    Sometimes users experience that they cannot sign out of Office 365 completely. For example, when a user clicks Sign out, the user couldn’t sign out of the web service, and the web browser reloads the current webpage.

Background Information:
    ===================
    The issue is caused due to the reason that Office 365 web sessions are maintained by web browser cookies to let customers use Office365 web services more conveniently. The sign-out process for web services forces the session cookies that used to maintain the application session to expire. However, because the web browser is still running, the user still has a valid authentication cookie and is not required to sign in to the resource again. As a result, the issue occurs.

Workaround:
    ===================
    1. Clear the web browser cache and cookies, and then restart the web browser to see if it works.
    2. Use the InPrivate Browsing feature in Internet Explorer to login with another Office 365 account.
    3. Remove microsoftonline.com entries from the Trusted sites zone and from the Local Intranet zone in Internet Explorer.

More options:
    ===================
    Thanks again for all your involvement and effort to test and fix the issue. As to the issue you concern about, I sincerely recommend you submit feedback about detailed description on what you’d like to improve and detailed suggestions about what you have tested. This will make the feedback more useful for the relevant teams. You can submit your feedback by using the following link:
    http://g.microsoftonline.com/0BX11EN/135

Furthermore, we welcome you to keep an eye on the forum for any updates on the issue that you concern about.

Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hello Claud,

What is the web service to logout from Office 365 embedded application?

I have used Remote Authentication in SharePoint Online Using Claims Based Authentication for login. Now, I got stuck up with logout service.

Will you able to provide some information on this.

Thanks,

CNU

• Not Ranked
  • Hi CNU,

Are you meaning to logout Office 365 service by invoking Web service? As far as I know, Office 365 portal doesn't provide web services for remote invoking as SharePoint Online. Thanks for the understanding.

If you have any other questions, I recommend you to open a new thread in the forum.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Male
  • We have experienced the same problem here. The problem was caused by having https://*.microsoftonline.com as a trusted website. Once we have removed that website from the users IE the problem was solved.

Best regards

Jannick Hostrup - Tjepp IT

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)