Using Office 365 Offline

• 11 Followers
  • 20 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)
Hi I would like to know if I must be online to use my office applications such as Word, Excel etc when I own Office 365. Also is that true that if I opt for the standard Office Suite I will only be allowed to install it to one pc forever, meaning if I eventually buy a new pc I will have to buy another Office license even though I already own one, it looks for me that I don't actually own my license since I can't use it on a newer computer if I want. Regards.
  • Post Points: 50
All Replies
  • Hi Naniasbr,

Office Professional Plus for Office 365 is part of the Microsoft Office 365 Online Services offering.

Each user license allows five concurrent installations. Both 32- and 64-bit versions of Office Professional Plus are available in Office 365.

However, we recommend that you install the 32-bit version. You download and manage Office Professional Plus for Office 365 from the Office 365 portal. After you download Office Professional Plus for Office 365, you can make the Office suite available to users in your organization, based on the number of user licenses that you sign up for.

For more information about Office Professional Plus, please see:

http://community.office365.com/en-us/wikis/office/office-professional-plus-faq.aspx

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • What kind of answer it this!?

There are two clear questions:

1) If we buy Office 365, can we use it offline(without internet connection) to work with all the programs as Word, Excel, OneNote and Outlook?

2) If we buy Office 2013, can we delete it from one PC(old) and then reinstall it to another(new) (for exaple if we buy a new PC)?

Please, give coherent answers rather than the nonsense you have posted.

Regards.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Anatoly,

Q1: If we buy Office 365, can we use it offline(without internet connection) to work with all the programs as Word, Excel, OneNote and Outlook?

A1:  No, Office Professional Plus for Office 365 includes new activation technology that enables a monthly subscription model. Every month, Office Professional Plus automatically verifies the status of a user’s subscription. The validation process requires Internet access.

Q2: If we buy Office 2013, can we delete it from one PC(old) and then reinstall it to another(new) (for exaple if we buy a new PC)?

A2: No, buyers receive just the "license key", allowing them to download the actual software/product to their PC from a Microsoft website. Once activated, this digital copy of Office is said to be permanently 'locked' to that PC's hardware, preventing it from being transferred to any other computing device.

Should the buyer wish to use Office 2013 on a different computer, or if they later become unable to use the computing device that the original license was downloaded to (e.g., hardware becomes inoperable due to malfunction(s); original user sells the hardware) then a completely new, full-priced copy of Office 2013 must be purchased to replace the prior one.

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Ok, so I must be online every time I run an Office application? or at least once a month, for the verification check?

So I don't actually own the software license since I can't change my computer, even with windows I can this is nonsense! Also I was not aware of that when I got this version, how can I have it replaced for a Office 365 subscription or refunded? Regards

• Not Ranked
  • Thank you AnatolyA for making my questions clear for them!

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Naniasbr,

Yes, the validation process requires Internet access.

If you'd like to install Office Pro Plus 2013 on multiple machines, I suggest you use Office Professional Plus for Office 365. Office Professional Plus for Office 365 includes Office Subscription Agent. It is an add-on component that automatically obtains a product key and activates it. The user only has to enter a Microsoft Online Services ID and password one time to validate the subscription. A user can have up to 5 concurrent installations by using the same Microsoft Online Services ID and password.

For more information about Office Professional Plus for Office 365, please see:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh973391.aspx

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Top 50 Contributor
  • I still don't understand, do I need a 24/7 internet to launch an Office application? Like if I am on a plane without internet connection, with my installed Office 365 on my notebook will I be able to launch and use, Word, Excel etc.?

This Office 365 Pro Plus is a Preview only and will eventually expiry? If so it doesn't solve my problem.

Regards

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Naniasbr,

To verify the licensing state of the Office 365 clients, the clients must have reliable Internet access every 30 days. If the Office 365 clients cannot connect to OLS for a long time, the license will fall into EXTENDED_GRACE and prompt the user to connect to the Internet.

In addition, Office 365 ProPlus Preview is a preview.

For more information about licensing and activation in Office 365 ProPlus, please see:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg982959.aspx

Thanks,

Keats Ge

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Since the new subscription model for Office software - which has nothing to do with the original Office 365 service - also goes under the name "Office 365", it's no wonder there's mass confusion even among MSFT employees. We now seem to have a bewildering array of products with similar sounding names and no clear, concise explanation of which one does what - as you can tell from the answers above.   
    webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Naniasbr,

How are things going? Do you need additional assistance?

Thanks,
    Keats Ge

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi naniasbr,

>> Can we use office 365 apps during offline...

A> Yes,we can. Just create , edit & save it in "SkyDrive" Folder OR "any where"..

But, files will go to cloud, only when they stored in SkyDrive..

>> Preview will expire,& you has to buy licensed copy.

• Not Ranked
    Suggested by
  • i agree.  i don't know what's harder...trying to figure out whether you can use this dang thing offline, or trying to get them to answer a simple question.  

i've got an answer whether it's right or wrong but it's what i'm experiencing.  offline DOES NOT WORK!  once the app figures out your internet connection is not working, you can't read, write, or open the app when you're offline.  they DO NOT explain this very clearly when purchasing.  saving to cloud also would not be an option without the internet.  skydrive being something that requires the internet.  

so if you're ALWAYS online and you're NOT going to lose a connection, go with 365.  however, i don't ever recommend it because there's no guarantee you'll always have the internet connection.  

• Not Ranked
  • Keats Ge MSFT Support, can you please verify what micks578 has said below?  You have not yet given a clear answer to the most basic question which, if I my paraphrase, is as follows:

Assuming that you connect to the internet at least once per month to verify the licence, can you spend significant amounts of time offline (say, 2 days) using Office 365 and your own hard drive to store files? (as you would with any other version of Office)

When asked whether you need constant internet connectivity to use the product, you keep ignoring the concept of "constant" and refer us to the monthly license verification.  Unlike you, micks578 has given a clear answer. Is it correct?

• Not Ranked
  • Office Pro Plus is loaded on your computer just like boxed software. The only thing* you need an internet connection for is to:

1/  verify your license once a month.  

2/ access synced files in SkyDrive Pro (because the files reside in Sharepoint and not on your computer which only retains links to the hosted files locally).

MSFT feel free to comment if you disagree.  

*PS. And obviously to save files to SP. 

webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1|2|