No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Configure print server to connect to Office 365 SMTP server with TLS

This question has suggested answer(s) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have read everything I can find with no solution found as of yet. My organization is now using Office 365 for our email. We have a new printer server that we want to connect to Office 365 so we can scan documents to email. My understanding is that Office 365 requires a device that can connect with SMTP over TLS.

I purchased a Brother MFC-9970CDW printer which supports SMTP AUTH, TLS and SSL. I have tried everything I can think of to get it to work, without success. I have the correct outlool.com url from my account, and am using port 587.

The printer supports importing a server certificate as well. From what I've been reading, this might be the issue. Before you can use TLS with Office 365's SMTP server, do I need to install the Office 365 certificate on the printer? If so, how can I get this? Or could I be doing something else wrong?

Any help is appreciated. I feel like I'm at a dead end.

Thanks

All Replies
  • Hi SteveG_NH,

For my understanding, you want to configure SMTP relay for Office 365.
    If this is the case, please refer to this KB article:
    How to configure an SMTP relay for Office 365: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2600912

Thanks,
    Robert Li

• No, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to set up a relay, which is why I bought a new printer that supports SMTP Auth and TLS encryption. So the question remains as to whether or not I need to install a certificate from Office 365, or do something else to get this working.

Thanks

• Hi SteveG_NH,

As long as I know, you don’t need to install certificate in order to set up SMTP on your printer. Please check if you have the right SMTP setting (login on OWA -> Options -> See All Options -> My Account -> Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access).
    For more Email settings on Brother MFC-9970CDW please refer to Brother MFC-9970CDW Network Users Manual – English.

Cheers,
    Te-Amo

• Thanks. The software on the Brother printer just didn't work, so I returned it. Too much time wasted on it already. I'll find another one.

Thanks