No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Reminder of Files Checked out

• 2 Followers
  • 4 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Numerous members of my team keep leaving files Checked Out, preventing access by others when they are not actually using the file or have shut down.

Is it possible to set Sharepoint to send a daily reminder, or is their somewhere we can check which will show all the files a particular user has checked out at any given time?

I sincerely hope you can help.

Andrew

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi AMRP Lettings,

When a user checks out a document, the file is saved to a sub folder of My Documents called SharePoint Drafts.  As far as SharePoint Online is concerned, that file is checked out and not available.  When you allow users to check out documents, it is assumed that they have exclusive rights to the file, until they decide to check it back in. 

The best SharePoint Online solution, for users to locate their checked out files, is to create a view and filter it by the column checked out, as described in the link I referenced in my last post.

While Co-authoring is not compatible with the checking in and out of documents, co-authoring or versioning might provide a better solution for your needs.  The following link details Document collaboration and co-authoring.

Versioning and document check-out and check-in are compatible and allow your users to control when a new version of a document is created, but they are still responsible to check-in the document.

I will continue to monitor this thread for any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

Microsoft Office 365 SharePoint Support

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi AMRP Lettings,

This is Jonis from Microsoft Online SharePoint Support.

The following solution is from a community forums post where Myles Jeffery - Thinkscape - Office365 MVP and Jennifer_Mason collaborated on a view to display all checked-out files.  To review their solution click on the link: Finding files checked out to me

The solution provided by Myles Jeffery should allow your users to manage their checked-out files, on a per site basis, and hopefully express check them all in at once.

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
  • If anyone can assist with this, would be very much appreciated.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi AMRP Lettings,

When a user checks out a document, the file is saved to a sub folder of My Documents called SharePoint Drafts.  As far as SharePoint Online is concerned, that file is checked out and not available.  When you allow users to check out documents, it is assumed that they have exclusive rights to the file, until they decide to check it back in. 

The best SharePoint Online solution, for users to locate their checked out files, is to create a view and filter it by the column checked out, as described in the link I referenced in my last post.

While Co-authoring is not compatible with the checking in and out of documents, co-authoring or versioning might provide a better solution for your needs.  The following link details Document collaboration and co-authoring.

Versioning and document check-out and check-in are compatible and allow your users to control when a new version of a document is created, but they are still responsible to check-in the document.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
  • Hi AMRP Lettings,

I wanted to check and see if versioning is an option you can deploy as part of your solution.  It would allow your users to view the version of the file that is being left checked out.  Additionally, when the user finally checks the file back in, fellow users can see any intended or unintended changes that were made to the checked out file.

Jonis Estrem

• Top 75 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)