Listing users per Subscription

This question is answered This question is answered
My company has offices in different parts of the USA.  Each office has a number of different Subscriptions assigned to it.  This allows us to distribute and monitor the office 365 operating cost per location.  For example, our west coast office may be using ten E1, twenty E3 and 100 Kiosk licenses while our Mid-West office may only be using 15 E3 licenses.

We recently migrated from BPOS to Office 365.  While using BPOS I could view how many licenses were in use, per Subscription.  I could also produce a list of users, per Subscription, to ensure there was no overlap from another office.

From what I can see in the Office 365 administrative web portal, this is not possible.  I can only see a list of total licenses in use, and total license free, from each plan (E1, E3, etc).  I cannot produce a list of users per Subscription or associate users with a particular Subscription. 

Is there a way to produce a list of users per Subscription? 

Is there a way to associate users with a particular Subscription?

Thank you.

Verified Answer
  • Hi OrionAdmin,

Based on your description, you need to use PowerShell to achieve your requirement.

Please refer to the steps below:

1. Connect Windows PowerShell to the Service

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../2b09b6a8-ad7e-446f-b7f0-273856beed70

2. After connecting to Windows PowerShell, run the following command to produce a list of users and subscription:

Get-MsolUser | FL displayname,Licenses

Or

Get-MsolUser | Ft displayname,Licenses

3. To assign user licenses, please run the following command to get the accountskuID:

Get-MsolAccountSku

4. After getting your accountskuIDs, you could run the command below to assign the user with a specific license:

Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $sUser@$TenantDomain -AddLicenses "***:ENTERPRISEPACK"

Please note to change $sUser@$TenantDomain to be the user's SMTP address and change the ***ENTERPRISEPACK to be your accountskuID.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Hi OrionAdmin,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your description, I would like to confirm if you want to have a list of users and the users' corresponding licenses that have been assigned to them, such as Exchange Online license or SharePoint license or Lync Online license instead of the service pack.

If this is the case, it would not be possible to achieve this in Office 365. You could only check the service pack for users using PowerShell command.

If this is not the case, please provide more detailed information about your requirement for us to further research.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

All Replies
  • Hi OrionAdmin,

Based on your description, you need to use PowerShell to achieve your requirement.

Please refer to the steps below:

1. Connect Windows PowerShell to the Service

onlinehelp.microsoft.com/.../2b09b6a8-ad7e-446f-b7f0-273856beed70

2. After connecting to Windows PowerShell, run the following command to produce a list of users and subscription:

Get-MsolUser | FL displayname,Licenses

Or

Get-MsolUser | Ft displayname,Licenses

3. To assign user licenses, please run the following command to get the accountskuID:

Get-MsolAccountSku

4. After getting your accountskuIDs, you could run the command below to assign the user with a specific license:

Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName $sUser@$TenantDomain -AddLicenses "***:ENTERPRISEPACK"

Please note to change $sUser@$TenantDomain to be the user's SMTP address and change the ***ENTERPRISEPACK to be your accountskuID.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

• Thank you for the prompt reply, however this does not seem to be the solution I am looking for.

When I run these PowerShell command 'Get-MsolUser -All | Ft displayname,Licenses' against our O365 service I get output similar to:

Display name     Licenses

--------------      ---------

Jane Doe            {CONTOSO:SHAREPOINTDESKLESS}

Joe Smith           {CONTOSO:STANDARDPACK}

John Doe            {CONTOSO:STANDARDPACK}

Kelly Barnes        {CONTOSO:EXCHANGEDESKLESS}

Get-MsolAccountSku creates output similar to:

AccountSkuId                          ActiveUnits    WarningUnits   ConsumedUnits

---------------                          ------------    ---------------   -----------------

CONTOSO:STANDARDPACK     100               0                       80

CONTOSO:SHAREPOINTDES...  100               0                       70

CONTOSO:EXCHANGEDESKL... 100               0                       60

Unfortunately, this does not give me the information I need.  Here is a sample screenshot of O365 Subscriptions taken from the Administrator web portal:

To clarify, I would like to create a list of users corresponding to each of of these Subscription PO#.  The recommended PowerShell commands do not seem to accomplish this.  Anything else you might suggest? 

Thank you.

• Hi OrionAdmin,

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your description, I would like to confirm if you want to have a list of users and the users' corresponding licenses that have been assigned to them, such as Exchange Online license or SharePoint license or Lync Online license instead of the service pack.

If this is the case, it would not be possible to achieve this in Office 365. You could only check the service pack for users using PowerShell command.

If this is not the case, please provide more detailed information about your requirement for us to further research.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Thank you, this answers my question.

• Hey, I know this is extremely old now but there is an easy way to do what you need.  Go to your management admin and go under users.  under the view scroll down select new.  Input whatever different destinctions you wish and most importantly select assigned license.  This will create a view that filters your users by license type.  you will have to create a view this way for every license type you have.  

Hope this helps.

• @m.g.bpsr: GREAT answer, best piece of information I've had this week, been looking for this for a long time!

Thanks a lot.