No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Password Expiration Notifications are missing from 365

• 8 Followers
  • 21 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Advanced notification of password expiration was a feature of BPOS.  We were able to access the information and automated messages notifications to them to ensure they were well reminded about the password change.

They also saw this on the Sign In Client.

In Office 365, this notification is missing and we cannot access the information to provide our own messages.  Now, passwords expire with virtually no notice and our on the go employees are often caught unaware of the expiration.  Once they expire, they almost always need technical support for the reset.

This increases our support time and causes us to spend hours unwisely.  It's bad customer service and our employees do not like this impact.

When will Microsoft fix this issue.

Why can't Microsoft immediately provide me with  reports on our customer password expiration notices so that I can at lease do the manual task of notification and follow-up?

Why isn't this a priority for Microsoft.  The standard answer we are given, to set passwords to not expire, is not sound security and we should not be asked to compromise our security.

We need Microsoft to take action to fix this issue.

• Post Points: 35
Verified Answer
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply on the forum.

Hi Cynthia,

Actually, after downloading and installing the latest version of the Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant, password expiry notification will be enabled for users.

To do this, you could follow these steps below:

1.Sign in to the Office 365 portal (portal.microsoftonline.com) by using the user's new password.

2.On the Home page, in the pane on the right side, click Downloads, and then under Set up and configure your Office desktop apps, click Set up.

Note:

After you complete this step, Office 365 Desktop Setup runs again. This updates the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant installation package on the client computer. This updated package enables password expiry notifications and password reset.

The updated package for the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant can also be manually downloaded from the following Microsoft website:

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

For more information about it, you could also refer to the link below:

support.microsoft.com/.../2630976

However, it would not be possible for administrators to access this information and send users the notification of upcoming expirations.

For this feature, I would sincerely suggest you submitting a feedback at

<http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft Online Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210> 

If the service is requested frequently, the product team may include it in the future releases.

Your useful ideas and feedback will help us improve our products and service. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Cynthia,

While it could be done better, Office 365 does in fact warn when your password is getting ready to expire, but the ballon does not stay up long enough. Look down in the lower right corner when you you are loggin in, and near the clock you will see it come up, the first time I noticed it said in 10 days if I recall. So given that it it can do it, now I just need to make it do a better job, so that users will see it.

Hope this helps

Robert

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Thank you for your rapid response Robert.

Would you please also address the other parts of my question as well.  We need to be able to send our users notifications of upcoming expirations and this information is not accessible on our own, or even when trying to get the report directly from Microsoft.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply on the forum.

Hi Cynthia,

Actually, after downloading and installing the latest version of the Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant, password expiry notification will be enabled for users.

To do this, you could follow these steps below:

1.Sign in to the Office 365 portal (portal.microsoftonline.com) by using the user's new password.

2.On the Home page, in the pane on the right side, click Downloads, and then under Set up and configure your Office desktop apps, click Set up.

Note:

After you complete this step, Office 365 Desktop Setup runs again. This updates the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant installation package on the client computer. This updated package enables password expiry notifications and password reset.

The updated package for the Microsoft Online Services Sign-In Assistant can also be manually downloaded from the following Microsoft website:

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

For more information about it, you could also refer to the link below:

support.microsoft.com/.../2630976

However, it would not be possible for administrators to access this information and send users the notification of upcoming expirations.

For this feature, I would sincerely suggest you submitting a feedback at

<http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft Online Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210> 

If the service is requested frequently, the product team may include it in the future releases.

Your useful ideas and feedback will help us improve our products and service. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Cynthia,

How are things going?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. It is always our pleasure to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Getting pior notification for password expiry is very much required. Mobile users are not able to get notification if they have never used Microsoft Online Services Sign-in Assistant. I have so many users who all come to know after the password has expired.

Microsoft needs to add in the feature to give prior notification to users before their Office 365 account's password expire.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Nitin,

Thanks for your feedback about your concern for this password feature for mobile users.

Based on the current situation, I would suggest you submitting a feedback at

<mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft Online Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210>

If you have any other questions, I would suggest you post a new thread about the detailed information of the issue you encountered, this is so we could focus on your questions and provide more specific solutions for you.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi ,

We have exactly the same issue here.

We have recently migrated from BPOS to Office365 our 1400 users. We're currently using only Exchange online with Outlook 2007.

Microsoft said us AFTER we have migrated that there is no more user notification for password expiration... and we don't have any possibility to reach this information . (With BPOS it was a simple powershell command to get it).

Microsoft migration manager has said that an upcoming build of outlook will resolve this issue in August, but the problem is not resolved for the moment.

As we can read in the article : support.microsoft.com/.../2630976

"Note Because Outlook connections authenticate without the Sign-In Assistant, the Outlook connection does not trigger the Sign-In Assistant to check password expiry status."

For the moment, just because of this issue, migration is really chaotic for our internal support.

I really don't understand why we can't see the password expiration date ......

• Not Ranked
  • Thank you for echoing the need.  I've wondered how other companies are managing through this issue.

We're still losing several production hours each day when users are suddently locked out of their account and we now need to help them manage e-mail passwords.  

We've been searching for an MSI version of the sign-in assistant that is supposed to help the problem.  We found one that was released just this week, but I'm not certain it is the correct one.  We're doing some testing to see if it will help but it is an ongoing battle and my users are growing weary of this issue.  

Even with a new sign-in assistant, we need the report on password expirations.  It's essentiall to provide the service our users expect and deserve.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Cynthia Weaver,

Thanks for your reply and feedback about the current situation.

For your concern about the report on password expirations, I would sincerely suggest you submitting a feedback at

<mymfe.microsoft.com/Microsoft Online Services/Feedback.aspx?formID=210>

Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

If you need additional assistance, feel free to let us know. We will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Anna, I would like to submit the information, and saw this link in a previous post.  Unfortunately, the link does not work for me.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Cynthia Weaver,

Thanks for your reply.

To submit a feedback, you could also use the link below:

support.microsoft.com/.../survey.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Anna, Any link that begins with support.microsoft.com is not working.  Is there another route to the form?

• Not Ranked
  • Depending on your organizational needs and policies, you might consider simply changing the default password policy to never expires. www.sharepointedutech.com/.../changing-office-365-password-policy

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion to this customer.

Hi Cynthia,

For the feedback link, there are just the two links for this official channel to send feedback. If these links do not work, you could change to another browser or network to try and see if it helps.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1|2|