No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Resource Mailbox - Migrate Calendar data from User Mailbox to Resource Mailbox

• 2 Followers
  • 5 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered
We have 10 room/equipment mailboxes that were accidentally setup as "User Mailboxes" instead of "Resource Mailboxes".  So, now we have numerous calendar reservations, both past and future, that are stored in those calendars.  I would like to take advantage of setting up Resource Mailboxes for these 10 rooms/equipment items and do away with the User Mailboxes. 

Is there a way that I can migrate (export/import) calendar items from these mailboxes to the new Resource Mailboxes that I would like to create?
  • Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi RShumaker,

Thanks for your post.  Yes, we can use PST file to do that. You can take a look the following steps:

1, export all the calendar information as a PST file
    2, remove the user mailbox and create the new room/resource mailbox
    3,connect Exchange online via Powershell help.outlook.com/.../cc952755.aspx
    4, setup the permission on the room mailbox  Add-MailboxPermission -Identity <room-mailbox> -User <user> -AccessRights fullaccess
    5, use autodiscover service and mapping the mailbox which you have permission (Outlook client)
    6, import the pst file via Outlook client

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Ryan,

We can use PowerShell to switch a user mailbox to a room mailbox. But in this case, it's not a good solution.  For Exchange online ,one user mailbox need an Exchange online license, but room mailbox doesn't.

For this case, once we switch the type of mailbox from user to room, and remove the license of that room mailbox. The service will remove the whole mailbox ( can't recovery).

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
All Replies
  • Hi RShumaker,

Thanks for your post.  Yes, we can use PST file to do that. You can take a look the following steps:

1, export all the calendar information as a PST file
    2, remove the user mailbox and create the new room/resource mailbox
    3,connect Exchange online via Powershell help.outlook.com/.../cc952755.aspx
    4, setup the permission on the room mailbox  Add-MailboxPermission -Identity <room-mailbox> -User <user> -AccessRights fullaccess
    5, use autodiscover service and mapping the mailbox which you have permission (Outlook client)
    6, import the pst file via Outlook client

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Thanks, Neo Zhu,

Good to know.  I found another answer to this issue as well.  Apparently there is a Powershell command that will allow a User Mailbox to be converted to a Room Mailbox.  This method seems to be the best solution in our case as it retains the existing setup of the calendar and the reservations that have been made already.  The powershell command the was shared is:

Set-Mailbox "user" -Type room

Thanks,

Ryan

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Ryan,

We can use PowerShell to switch a user mailbox to a room mailbox. But in this case, it's not a good solution.  For Exchange online ,one user mailbox need an Exchange online license, but room mailbox doesn't.

For this case, once we switch the type of mailbox from user to room, and remove the license of that room mailbox. The service will remove the whole mailbox ( can't recovery).

Thanks, Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Hi Ryan,

How are you doing? I am just writing to see if there is any progress on this issue. I do not mean to push you. I just want to ensure that you do not encounter any problems during the troubleshooting. Thank you.

Neo Zhu

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Thank you, Neo.

We are all set to go wtih this.  We have our resource mailboxes setup and all entries are still there.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)