No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Cannot remove domain from Office 365

• 6 Followers
  • 13 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

Hi,

I want to migrate one of the domain to another Office 365 subscription. I need to remove domain from existing Office 365 first. Before I remove the domain, I remove all email alias that using existing domain.

I also run following  commands to check. There are no email linked to the domain.

get-mailbox | where {$_.emailaddresses -like "*domain.com*"}

Get-DistributionGroup | where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*domain.com*"}
Get-mailcontact | where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*domain.com*"} 

But, when I remove the domain, it is showing below message and prevent me from removal.

We can't remove the domain because of one or more of the following issues:

• There are user accounts associated with this domain.
  • There are email or Microsoft Lync accounts using this domain.

What I should do to remove the domain?

Thanks.

regards,

Hung Kim Ho

Thinking Technology Limited

Regards,

Hung Kim Ho

• Post Points: 35
All Replies
  • Hello Hung,

Do you mean that you cannot remove the custom domain add to the Office 365 and received the error message provided?

If so, you may refer to the following video to troubleshoot removing domains in Office 365.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21bmDQDWZQE 
    For tips, please do not remove the users, mailboxes or distribution lists associated with the domain. Changing them is more recommended.

Moreover, based on my experience, after all objects, such as user account and proxy address, are removed or changed, please wait for another several hours, and then try to remove the custom domain to see if it works.

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Claud,

Yes, I followed the video to change all proxy address. Its include distribution group and user account. I also wait for MORE THAN 15 HOURS. But i still CANNOT remove custom domain.

I also use following commands to verify all proxy and primary addresses was modified and not linked to custom domain.

get-mailbox | where {$_.emailaddresses -like "*domain.com*"}

Get-DistributionGroup | where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*domain.com*"}

Get-mailcontact | where {$_.PrimarySmtpAddress -like "*domain.com*"}

Is there anything I missed ?

Thanks.

regards,

Hung Kim Ho

Regards,

Hung Kim Ho

• Not Ranked
  • Hung,

As far as I know, If you are hosting a SharePoint Online site on a domain name that is being used for a SharePoint Online site collection, you must delete the site collection before you can remove the domain name.

The original onmicrosoft.com domain name that you chose originally for your account, similar to contoso.onmicrosoft.com, can’t be removed.

York Well

• Not Ranked
  • If the domain’s status is shown as Pending removal on the Domains page. If this status persists, please try again to remove the domain.

In addition, I suggest you refer to the following pages to troubleshoot this issue:

You receive an error message when you try to remove a domain from Office 365

• Not Ranked
  • Hi York,

I want to remove verified domain which not ended with onmicrosoft.com and it does not linked to SharePoint site collection.

I also tried to use powershell "Remove-Mosldomain" to remove domain. But ifolowing error was shown.

Remove-MsolDomain : Unable to remove this domain. Use Get-MsolUser -DomainName

<domain name>  to retrieve a list of objects that are blocking removal.

At line:1 char:18

+ Remove-MsolDomain <<<<  -DomainName rogerwancpa.com.hk

I also followed the link support.microsoft.com/.../2284755 to remove all domain association.

What can I do not next ? I need to help our client to migrate Office 365 on this weekend.

Thanks.

Regards,

Hung Kim Ho

Regards,

Hung Kim Ho

• Not Ranked
  • My personal experience, It may need some time to procees the domain removal.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi york,

I have been waited for 30 HOURS, but I still cannot remove the domain.

regards,

Hung Kim Ho

Regards,

Hung Kim Ho

• Not Ranked
  • Create an unlicensed admin user and delete all the other users with it. Back up any email first.
    webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi mchv2.0,

Thanks for your suggestion for this user.

Hi Hung Kim Ho,

To troubleshoot this issue, I would like to confirm if you have added this domain as the proxy email address' suffix for any existing users.

Here are the general steps for you to check it:

1. Log in Office 365 portal and click Outlook from the top header.

2. At the Outlook Web App page, click Options from the up right corner and click See All Options.

3. Choose Mail > Options: Manage My Organization, at this page, click Users & Groups from the left panel.

4. Double click the user who may have the proxy email address(email alia or second email address) and click E-Mail Options.

5. Check if the proxy email address has been deleted or not on this page.

Moreover, please make sure that you are using the global administrator's account to delete this domain and there is no contacts that use this domain.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Hi Anna,

I contacted Office 365 phone support, the support staff have helped me to check above information by using easy assistant. He confirmed that the domain was removed from proxy address and distribution group. But some user accounts still associated with the domain due to UNKNOWN reason.

He suggested me to backup data of user accounts and remove the accounts. Then remove the domain from subscription. After domain removed, recreate the accounts and move email data back to user accounts again.

I will try his suggestion on coming weekend. I hope that I can remove the domain successfully.

Thanks.

regards,

Hung Kim Ho

Regards,

Hung Kim Ho

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Hung Kim Ho,

Thanks for your reply about the current situation.

If you need any additional assistance, feel free to let us know. We will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi Hung Kim Ho,

Also, make sure you delete all Security Groups.

Portal > Admin > Manage Security Groups

Also, make sure you delete all Distribution Groups.

Portal > Admin > Manage Exchange > Users & Groups > Distribution Groups

Also, make sure there are no alternate email alias addresses for any of the current users.

Portal > Admin > Manage Exchange > Users  & Groups > Mailboxes > go into each mailbox > Expand E-mail options > Remove any other e-mail addresses > Save.  Do this for each mailbox.

Hope this helps,

-365-

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Hung,

How are the things going?
    In addition, do you need further assistance on the issue?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)