No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Activiting Licenses through Security Groups

This question is answered This question is answered

We have 1500 entries for users in AD on-premise which were synced to Office 365.  800 of those are employees and the rest are service accounts, or vendors which do not need access to Sharepoint cloud.  We created a security group SharePoint 365 Access, and Lync 365 Access in AD on-premises.  We want to add Department OUs to those groups so that certain departments get SharePoint/Lync, just Sharepoint, just Lync, etc.  When I try to highlight anyone in the Security Groups link on the Admin page it will not select them and then will not allow me to add a license.  Is there a way to add Licenses based off Security Groups, and when new employees are added via the Department OU.

Chris Bigg

Verified Answer
  • Hi Chris Bigg,

Currently, we cannot assign licenses based on Security Groups. A workaround for this issue is creating different views according to the departments information. I have provided the detailed steps as below:

1. Log in Office 365, click Admin.
    2. Click Users on the left side, click All users behind View:. Click New View.
    3. In the New View window, type in a name such as Sales Department, in the Department box, type in a department name. Click Save.

For more information about user view, you can refer to the article: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637583.aspx.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

All Replies
  • Hi Chris Bigg,

Currently, we cannot assign licenses based on Security Groups. A workaround for this issue is creating different views according to the departments information. I have provided the detailed steps as below:

1. Log in Office 365, click Admin.
    2. Click Users on the left side, click All users behind View:. Click New View.
    3. In the New View window, type in a name such as Sales Department, in the Department box, type in a department name. Click Save.

For more information about user view, you can refer to the article: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-enterprises/ff637583.aspx.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Hi Chris Bigg,

Is there any update about this issue? Do you need any further assistance on this issue?

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Yes, thank you for the help.