No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Site Permissions

This question is answered This question is answered

Hi,

Is there somewhere I can find out how to set different permissions on my Sites?  I would like everyone to be able to access our Team Site,.  I also created a Site called "Executive" that I would like onle certain members to access.

I tried clicking on the "Executive" site > Site Actions> Site Settings > Site Permissions > Stop Inheriting Permissions.   When I add someone to the "Members", it shows up the "Team Site" permissions, and vice versa.  I assume I am missing something here.

Thanks

Rosy_55

Verified Answer
  • Hi Rosy_55,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

Because sites inherit permissions from their parent, it is important to determine the best level to break inheritance.  When you Stop Inheriting Permissions, a site collection administrator should manually assign unique permissions and security trim the default groups from the site.  The following steps detail the process a site collection administrator should take to remove all inherited permissions from a site:

1. Select the file or folder, that you want to create unique permission on
    2. From the ribbon select Document Permissions -> Permission Tools
    3. Under the column Name, Select all users and groups -> Stop Inheriting Permissions

Then use the following steps to assign permissions for users and groups to the files and folders:

1. From the ribbon select Grant Permissions and then select the user/group to add
    2. Next use Grant Permissions directly to assign the proper permissions to the user or group
    3. Select OK to save permissions changes.

If this does not resolve the user permission issue, go to the site where the permissions issue exists and Check Permissions for the user in question.  This will provide you with the group that the user is inheriting permissions thru.  If the user has only special permissions to a site, that does not mean they have access to files on the site.  Special permissions are automatically assigned by the SharePoint Server and do not allow files to be opened or viewed.

The following articles detail permissions management in SharePoint Online for Office 365. 

Set permissions for a list, library, or item

Permissions management

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.

All Replies
  • Just for further information.  I added a third site simply called "Test Site".   I also selected "Stop Inheriting Permissions" for this page.  Again, no matter what group or user I add or remove from the Members group is added or removed from every Site, even from the parent "Team Site"

Thanks

rosy_55

• Hi Rosy_55,

This is Jonis from Microsoft SharePoint Online Support.

Because sites inherit permissions from their parent, it is important to determine the best level to break inheritance.  When you Stop Inheriting Permissions, a site collection administrator should manually assign unique permissions and security trim the default groups from the site.  The following steps detail the process a site collection administrator should take to remove all inherited permissions from a site:

1. Select the file or folder, that you want to create unique permission on
    2. From the ribbon select Document Permissions -> Permission Tools
    3. Under the column Name, Select all users and groups -> Stop Inheriting Permissions

Then use the following steps to assign permissions for users and groups to the files and folders:

1. From the ribbon select Grant Permissions and then select the user/group to add
    2. Next use Grant Permissions directly to assign the proper permissions to the user or group
    3. Select OK to save permissions changes.

If this does not resolve the user permission issue, go to the site where the permissions issue exists and Check Permissions for the user in question.  This will provide you with the group that the user is inheriting permissions thru.  If the user has only special permissions to a site, that does not mean they have access to files on the site.  Special permissions are automatically assigned by the SharePoint Server and do not allow files to be opened or viewed.

The following articles detail permissions management in SharePoint Online for Office 365. 

Set permissions for a list, library, or item

Permissions management

If that does not answer your question please let me know as I will continue to monitor this thread for a few days and will reply to any additional posts or questions.