No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Site Access External User

• 8 Followers
  • 12 Replies |
  • This post has 0 verified answers |
Answered (Not Verified) This question has suggested answer(s)

I have invited an external user to share the site. However when they log on via the MS Online login, they get Access Denied.

When I log them on by using change user login their id get access to the site?

Can you help please

• Post Points: 35
All Replies
  • Hello,

External access can only be provided to Microsoft Live associated users, such as Hotmail users.  What is @address of the user to whom you're attempting to provide access?

Thank you,
    Chase Dahl
    O365 Forum Moderator
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
  • The adddress is *.*@hotmail.co.uk.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello,

How are you logging on?  I'm not having any issues logging my test Hotmail address into either a member or visitor role (after sending the appropriate invite from within the site settings).

Try this:

1. Verify the external user shows up on the list of users in SharePoint (under either visitor or member, depending on where you added them).

2. Don't have the user accept their invite.  Instead, have them open a new browser session and then attempt to directly navigate to your site (i.e. the whatever.sharepoint.com address).

3. Have them go through the Hotmail login when prompted.

See if they can access the site that way.

Thank you,
    Chase Dahl
    O365 Forum Moderator
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Chase,

I am having the same issue.

Invitations are being sent.  When the user receives the invitation the follow the accept link, begin login, are redirected to Live sign in.

When they sign in they then receive: Access Denied:  You are not a member of this site

The user does not appear as a user in the Admin portal, or in the SP group.

Navigating directly to the SP site results in the same issue – because the user hasn’t been added to the SP group.

Same issue?

Worth testing your working account on my site?  I've tried several accounts all with the same results.  I read somewhere that Hotmail accounts with 'personal email addresses' were not supported - what exactly is meant here?

Nick

• Not Ranked
  • Hello,

Again, it's odd to see this happening; this functionality is working OK for me across both Small Business and Enterprise subscriptions.  The "type" of Live-associated account added doesn't matter since I'm using a generic Hotmail account for testing.

We'll probably need to get these issues to the SharePoint team for further troubleshooting.  When you get the chance, please create a Service Request using the the following link:

[removed by moderator]

Make sure that you return to this thread and post the SR ID# you receive after filling the form out, so that we can get the ticket routed to the correct folks.

Thank you,
    Chase Dahl
    O365 Forum Moderator
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
  • Just want to share that we are having the exact same issue reported above when trying to grant external users access:

Invitations are being sent.  When the user receives the invitation the follow the accept link, begin login, are redirected to Live sign in.

When they sign in they then receive: Access Denied:  You are not a member of this site

The user does not appear as a user in the Admin portal, or in the SP group.

The external users we are testing are all using hotmail accounts.

• Not Ranked
  • Thansk for the info.  I have lodged a support request to the SP team (ID: [removed by moderator]).

When I get a response I will post it back here as well.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Nick,

I have grabbed your SR and forwarded to the engineers in the SharePoint Online team.  You should be contacted shortly via email to continue troubleshooting.

Thank you,
    Chase Dahl
    O365 Forum Moderator
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
  • Once you have done this and they have accepted trying going to the group you want to add them to and type in thier address ( you wont be able to search for it ) Then they should have access. Seems to work for me but I don't know why.
    • Not Ranked
  • I am experiencing the exact same result. I spoke with tech support. There is a Note on page 25 of the service description that says external users will be supported sometime in Q3. So while you can turn on External Users, share the site, send the e-mail, go to the login page to accept the invitation, thats as far as it goes. Access denied. If you have an Online Services ID from another 365 account, you can supposedly log in, but I don't think that was the objective of external users.

Crystal, are you able to login with a hotmail acccount as an external user? I did also hear that sometimes it works and sometimes not, but that is not the explanation anyone really wants to hear.

Thanks,

• Top 500 Contributor
  • Had the same problem. It turns out external users cannot log in to www.office365.com. Instead they have to login to the actual team site, ie point the browser to xxxx.sharepoint.com/.../yyyy where you replace xxxx and yyyy with your site name and team site name, respectively.

Hope that helps..

-Mijbel

• Not Ranked
  • Ah, the thick plottens!  If you try to give access to a hotmail.co.uk account you get Access Denied.  However if you try a hotmail.com account it works!

If you need to create a hotmail.com account outside the US, follow these steps:

1. Log out of any hotmail session you may have open

2. Clear the browser cache

3. Click on the link to sign-up

Treasurer
    All Saints Isleworth

• Not Ranked
    • Male
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)