No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Urgent - Migration questions

• 2 Followers
  • 9 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hello all,

I need some advice regarding a migration project.

This is a migration of 290 mailboxes from Exchange 2007 to Office 365.

The steps done so far were: 

1) Purchasing licences. 

2) Verified domain name (the domain in admin console office 365 states: Status: Verified

At the moment in the office 365 administration console only 2 Admin users exist.

We are following the steps of a cutover scenario without dirsync. 

On the instructions after the domain verification we got the DNS settings for domain registrat:

Type

Priority

Host name

Points to address

TTL

MX

@

ourdomain-com.mail.eo.outlook.com

1 Hour

CNAME

-

autodiscover

autodiscover.outlook.com

1 Hour

Type

TXT Name

TXT Value

TTL

TXT

@

v=spf1 include:outlook.com ~all

1 Hour

a) Why is the priority of the MX record  0 ? We entered the records but with a priority of 500 , is that correct? One of the users actually got a message to enter credentials in their outlook ...

We do not want to switch now, we want to proceed with migrating the mailboxes once the outlook anywhere is verified to work ok.

The users are working on the on-premises Exchange 2007 and we do not want to interrupt work days.

What we want to achieve is to start migrating mailboxes whilst the users are working on the existing on-premise Exchange until we do the MX record switch Friday. So  first start migration batches and when all data is uploaded then to switch MX records and finish migration.

Could you please lend me your brains ^^

Thank You

Edited:

Just run https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com tests

Exchange Outlook Anywhere test result:

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
All Replies
  • Hi Fenia K,

What you expect is just the migration order of the Cutover Exchange Migration. After you have verified your domain in Office 365, please don't create the DNS records in the DNS settings page with your domain. You can prepare and start the migration now. After all the mailboxes have migrated to Exchange Online, you can change the MX record for your domain, and then wait for 24 hours to complete the migration. Clicking complete migration will force a last synchronization for the messages that delivered into on-premises Exchange server before the new MX record take effect.

For more information about Cutover Exchange Migration, please see Migrate All Mailboxes to the Cloud with a Cutover Exchange Migration.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
    • Post Points: 0
    Suggested by
  • Hello Reken,

Thank you for your reply.

Any chance you can provide some assistance on the RPC/HTTP errors ? What needs to be done to fix this ?

Best regards

• Not Ranked
  • Also, when I try to open the migration process all I get is an empty window ... nothing loads ..

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Fenia K,

Apologize for havn't been aware of the RPC over HTTP issue. According to the test result you posted, it seems to be a certificate issue. Publishing RPC over HTTP needs a third party public certificate, and it is not allowed to use a self-signed certificate for the migration. Please change the certificate to a public certificate and test it again.

You cannot start the migration before the RPC over HTTP passes the Remote Connectivity Analyzer test.

Please refer to the following resources:

Deploying Outlook Anywhere

How to Enable Outlook Anywhere

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hello Reken Liu,

Thank you for all your help so far, I did manage to run the commands on PS successfully , the link you provided was ideal.

Regarding the PRC over HTTP issue, the certificate is indeed 3rd party (digi-cert) and not self-signed.

I checked IIS on the Exchange Server and verified that the certificate is public and valid regarding the date.

And on the Exchange server Outlook anywhere is enabled:

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\gogonas-g>Get-OutlookAnywhere

ServerName                 : SERVERNAME

SSLOffloading              : True

ExternalHostname           : servername.company.com

ClientAuthenticationMethod : Ntlm

IISAuthenticationMethods   : {Ntlm}

MetabasePath               : IIS://SERVERNAME.company.int/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Rpc

Path                       : C:\WINDOWS\System32\RpcProxy

Server                     : SERVERNAME

AdminDisplayName           :

ExchangeVersion            : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)

Name                       : Rpc (Default Web Site)

DistinguishedName          : CN=Rpc (Default Web Site),CN=HTTP,CN=Protocols,CN=SERVERNAME,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (                             FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=company,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=company,DC=int

Identity                   : SERVERNAME\Rpc (Default Web Site)

Guid                       : d81d5001-2cba-4364-a0db-f9c4ded98ab7

ObjectCategory             : company.int/Configuration/Schema/ms-Exch-Rpc-Http-

Virtual-Directory

ObjectClass                : {top, msExchVirtualDirectory, msExchRpcHttpVirtual

Directory}

WhenChanged                : 30/7/2009 4:58:09 μμ

WhenCreated                : 24/6/2009 6:38:43 μμ

OriginatingServer          : dc.company.int

IsValid                    : True

What else could it be? :/

Best regards,

Fenia

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Fenia,

Which account have you used for testing Outlook Anywhere with ExRCA? I suggest you re-test it with the on-premises Exchange account which you are using for the migration. In addition, the migration account needs to be assigned Full Access permission of other mailboxes. Please do this with Use the Add-MailboxPermission cmdlet to add permissions to a mailbox.

In addition, please disable Kernel Mode Authentication in IIS in your Exchange 2007 Client Access server, and select Basic authentication.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Fenia,

How are things going? Do you have any updates about the issue?

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Hi Reken,

I apologize for the late reply -

I am running too many projects at the same time ...

In the end I gave up on getting through the MS Connectivity Analyzer tests. Migration worked even though some of the tests failed. At the moment over 70% of the mailbox data has been successfully uploaded :)

Thank you very much for all your help :)

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Fenia,

I am glad to hear it works. Thanks for your updates, and your efforts are appreciate.

Best Regards,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)