No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Does a room mailbox need a license?

This question is answered This question is answered

I created a room mailbox within Exchange online and now on portal.microsoftonline.com the room shows as a user. If I filter the list to show "unlicensed users" then this room shows up.

Do I need to assign the room a license? Is there a different setting I should use to stop them showing up in the list of users?

Thanks,

Jane

Verified Answer
  • Hi Jane,

I understand that you create a new room mailbox, when you filter ‘unlicensed users’ this room shows up.
    1.You don’t need to assign this room mailbox a license.
    2.When you create a new mailbox on Exchange Control Panel (ECP), there will be a user account created automatically on the Microsoft Online Portal (MOP).

Thanks,
    Robert Li

All Replies
  • Hi Jane,

I understand that you create a new room mailbox, when you filter ‘unlicensed users’ this room shows up.
    1.You don’t need to assign this room mailbox a license.
    2.When you create a new mailbox on Exchange Control Panel (ECP), there will be a user account created automatically on the Microsoft Online Portal (MOP).

Thanks,
    Robert Li

• Hi janec,

I want to check if your issue has been resolved.
    If you need further assistance, please feel free to reply to me.

Thanks,
    Robert Li