No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

SBS 2003 to Office365 E1 migration

• 3 Followers
  • 8 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi

I have a customer who is looking to move his current Small Business Server 2003 Exchange email to the cloud in the form of Office 365 plan E1.

The customer has about 50 mailboxes and are using Terminal Services to connect from dumb terminals.

Do the migration tools provided by Microsoft allow the above migration?

The customer doesn't want to run a seperate machine for the Directory Syncronisation post migration. so the domain and the email will be run as 2 systems.

Would a migration using the Microsoft tools be a wise decision or would manual be better?

Does anyone have a link to a migration guide covering the above scenario?

thanks in advance.

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hello Damian,

Before moving on, I would like to confirm the customer’s current situation first.
    1. Does the customer want to migrate all mailboxes to Office 365? In other words, does he want to use cloud-only email service in the future?
    2. The customer doesn’t want to a dedicate server to DirSync to synchronize the directory of SBS 2003. Is it correct?
    3. Could you please provide a detailed example of the requirement “the domain and the email will be run as 2 systems” mentioned?
    4. Does the customer need to use the local SBS 2003 to manage users in the future?

If the customer needs to migrate all the mailboxes and corresponding mailbox data from SBS 2003 to Office 365, you can refer to the following article to use Cutover Migration to migrate the mailboxes.
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/ms.exch.ecp.emailmigrationwizardexchangelearnmore.aspx 
    In Cutover Migration, the users get created during migrating mailboxes without using DirSync.

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi Claud

The customer wants to move all email to the Cloud.

They are actually going to replace the SBS2003 server with a new Server 2008 Domain Controller, to allow for future growth and doesn't want to have Exchange onsite.

You are correct the customer doesn't want to run a seperate machine to host DirSync, they a relatively small company (50 users)

The customer is happy to use the customerdomain.local for internal AD and then customerdomain.com for email, with 2 sets of credentials.

They realise they will not be managing the email users from the local SBS / AD and will need to manage them seperately in the cloud.

regards

Damian

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Damian,

Thanks for your feedback.

I understand that the customer prefer managing users in local AD and Office 365 separately after migration.
    As a result, Cutover Migration is recommended in this scenario.

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hello Damian,

How are the things going?
    In addition, do you need further assistance on the issue?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Claud,

If you want to manage users in a single domain (versus two in Damian's example) is there a way to do so without DirSync but on premise?  I assume that there can be a single domain in the cloud, would there be an AD "channel" to the cloud AD for authentication?

If a stupid question, sorry just been handed a migration project and trying to find best "how to" for client.

Thanks!

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Brent,

Generally, DirSync is to synchronize on-premise AD users to Office 365. It has no direct link with the number of the domains. Moreover, if we use Cutover migration, DirSync is not needed.

If you need further assistance about the case, please feel free to post it in a new thread in the forum. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Claud,

We are migrating about 50 users and wanted to have some integration between on premise AD (SBS 2003) and O365 directory.  SSO would be great but not a requirement (yet).

My on-site guy says "he needs to keep local and cloud user accounts in sync for user management." But has not reviewed the documentation I have sent to properly understand that decision.  ADFS was in the cards but is way outside of budget and two management "domains" is also unacceptable.

We are also trying to do InTune but the incompatibility with RDS/TS may prevent that from getting approved.

So what we have is the marketing to SMB's of "come to the MS Cloud" but seemingly very little SMB enablement.

Now if the answer is Win 2012 <insert non-SBS edition> and a lot of the issues can be resolved by "baked in" enablement please let me know since they will choke on the estimates for ADFS, O365, & InTune.  InTune & O365 is not bad, but the AD component for managing on premise and cloud is where it is breaking down from what I can see.

Thanks for the help and if rolling a different stone up a different hill is better, please let me know.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Brent,

Are you a Microsoft Partner?
    If yes, actually, we have a team dedicated to dealing with this kind of issue. Please refer to the following link to get better assistance. Thanks for understanding.
    https://mspartner.microsoft.com/en/us/Pages/Support/get-support.aspx

Thanks,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)