No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Problem verifying domain

• 2 Followers
  • 8 Replies |
  • This post has 2 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi,

I hope someone can help me as I am having trouble verifying my domain (newforest-hypnotherapy.co.uk) and not sure what to try next. I have migrated from office small small business and used the migration guide provided. Everything seams to have gone OK so far and I have added the domain to my office 365 service, and now I have to verify my domain.

After selecting the option to verify domain on the domain admin screen I am next presented with the option to verify my domain with a TXT or MX record. I have selected the domain hosting provider (Melbourne IT) which gives me instructions on how to verify my domain. After completing the recommended TXT process and waiting 15mins, I then select the verify button and receive a response that my domain has been verified.

The next step is to change the name servers, and again a pull-down menu is available to select my hosting provider for instructions. However the pull-down menu is empty and I can not select a provider. I have found instructions on the forum for changing the name servers for Melbourne IT which I have followed. When I then select to complete the process I receive a screen telling my my domain could not be verified. I have waited 3 days for the changes to take affect and tried both the TXT & MX record methods for verifying my domain, but still can not verify my domain and am now without a website.

Please can someone suggest how I might resolve this problem so I can get my website up and running.

Thanks

Richard

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hello Richard,

From the domain information provided (here is newforest-hypnotherapy.co.uk), I found that the domain hasn’t been verified. As a result, the issue is caused that the name server records of the custom domain are pointed to Office 365 without verifying the domain.

Based on the current situation, please refer to the following steps to verify the domain.
    1. Point the name server records back to Melbourne IT.
    If you cannot find a way to do it, please contact the Melbourne IT support to get assistance.
    2. Remove the custom domain on Domains page.

3. Re-run the adding domain wizard to get the TXT record for domain verification. After that, add it at Melbourne IT. You can refer to the transition video to get reference, especially the steps taken on Melbourne IT side.
    3. After the TXT record is added, you may refer to the following article.
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/b/office_365_technical_blog/archive/2011/12/05/video-troubleshooting-domain-verification-errors-in-office-365.aspx 
    If you can find the TXT record via referring the steps in the video, based on my experience, pleas wait for several hours, and then try verifying the custom domain again to see if it works.

In addition, could you please provide some screen shots of the issue occurred? For tips, please click Use rich formatting > Insert image to upload the screen shots in the post manually.

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Claud,

Just to update you on my probelm.

In the end i tried it one final time, but this time in my ubuntu system using firefox (as office 365 is not compatable with chrome in my windows system which i normally use) and everything worked fine at step 3 and i was able to complete the verification. So the issue would seam to be with IE's interpretation of the website.

The only issue now is when i select to change the sharepoint website address to my domain. In Firefox i can select the domain but no OK button is available to confirm, and in IE i can select the domain and see the OK button but after pressing it the site greys out and does not go any further. I have a couple of other computers which i will try at home later and hopefully one of them will display the site correctly.

Many thanks for your time in trying to help.

Richard

• Not Ranked
All Replies
  • Hello Richard,

From the domain information provided (here is newforest-hypnotherapy.co.uk), I found that the domain hasn’t been verified. As a result, the issue is caused that the name server records of the custom domain are pointed to Office 365 without verifying the domain.

Based on the current situation, please refer to the following steps to verify the domain.
    1. Point the name server records back to Melbourne IT.
    If you cannot find a way to do it, please contact the Melbourne IT support to get assistance.
    2. Remove the custom domain on Domains page.

3. Re-run the adding domain wizard to get the TXT record for domain verification. After that, add it at Melbourne IT. You can refer to the transition video to get reference, especially the steps taken on Melbourne IT side.
    3. After the TXT record is added, you may refer to the following article.
    http://community.office365.com/en-us/b/office_365_technical_blog/archive/2011/12/05/video-troubleshooting-domain-verification-errors-in-office-365.aspx 
    If you can find the TXT record via referring the steps in the video, based on my experience, pleas wait for several hours, and then try verifying the custom domain again to see if it works.

In addition, could you please provide some screen shots of the issue occurred? For tips, please click Use rich formatting > Insert image to upload the screen shots in the post manually.

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hello Richard,

How are the things going?
    In addition, do you need further assistance on the issue?

Best regards,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Claud,

Thanks for the reply, it seams Melbourne IT had some problems with there servers and i could not point the servers back to Melbourne. This seams to now have been sorted so will try your suggestions above and let you know.

Many Thanks

Richard

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Claud,

I have repeated the steps above and still can not verify my domain. I removed the domain and went back through the verication process but had the same problem. The video you suggest has different screens in the verify process which makes the whole thing more confusing. I have attached some screen shots below.

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Richard,

Thanks for your feedback and the detailed screen shots provided.
    From the screen shots, I noticed that the TXT record in Verify domain page (MS=ms71373987) is different with the TXT record added at Melbourne IT (MS=ms90059919). 
    As a result, have you updated the TXT record at Melbourne IT?

Moreover, I noticed that the name server records of the custom domain are pointed to Office 365. If the TXT record for domain verification is added at Melbourne IT, the name server records must be pointed to Melbourne IT.

Based on the current situation, please point the name server records back to Melbourne and update the new TXT record for domain verification to re-verify the custom domain.
    In addition, if you cannot find a way to do it, I sincerely suggest contact Melbourne IT support to get assistance on the issue.
    As for the video, it is just for some reference about the general steps taken on Melbourne IT side, such as adding the TXT record. Based on the current situation, in this case, please give priority to the instruction Melbourne IT support provided.

Thanks,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Claud,

Thanks again for the reply, the reason the TXT records were different is because i forgot to take a screen shot of step 2 the first time round so did another after it failed just to show which options i was following. However Step 2 (Verify Domain) does not seem to be the problem as this part works, its step 3 that i seem to fall on.

As you can see from the screen shots i get to step 3 which says my domain has been varified and i then have to change the name server records. Its at this stage that the pull down menu is blank, as shown in the previouse screen shot. As no instructions are displayed, i used the information in the video to change the name servers to office 365 (ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com) as is shown in the last screen shot. However when i go back to office to complete step 3 the process fails and takes me back to step 2. After this point i have to change the name servers back, remove the domian and go through the whole process again.

I am trying the process one more time and taking screen shots as i go, if it does not work i will try Melbourne IT Support. But i'm worried that they will push me back to microsoft and i will end up getting nowhere.

Thanks

Richard

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Claud,

Just to update you on my probelm.

In the end i tried it one final time, but this time in my ubuntu system using firefox (as office 365 is not compatable with chrome in my windows system which i normally use) and everything worked fine at step 3 and i was able to complete the verification. So the issue would seam to be with IE's interpretation of the website.

The only issue now is when i select to change the sharepoint website address to my domain. In Firefox i can select the domain but no OK button is available to confirm, and in IE i can select the domain and see the OK button but after pressing it the site greys out and does not go any further. I have a couple of other computers which i will try at home later and hopefully one of them will display the site correctly.

Many thanks for your time in trying to help.

Richard

• Not Ranked
  • Hello Richard,

Thanks for your feedback. I’m very glad to find that the custom domain has been verified successfully.

From the domain information provided, I can access your website successfully on my side now.

In addition, if you need further assistance on the issue, I sincerely suggest post detailed information about the issue, such as some screenshots, in a new thread in the forum. This is so your question will be answered quickly.

Thanks for understanding,
    Claud

• Top 10 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)