No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Why does site need www to open with 365 versus OLSB

This question is not answered This question is not answered

I just transferred my website from OLSB to 365 but the site only open now if I use www before the domain name. How can I get it to open using onlt the domain name?

Thanks,

James

1 out of 1 people found this post helpful.

All Replies
  • Hello Minipl8s,

This is Jason Burnside from Microsoft Office365 SharePoint Support.

Thanks for coming to the communities with your concerns about not being able to access your website without using www when typing in your URL.

If you recently started using a vanity domain, it may take up to 24 hours for you to be able to access your website and for your links to update to the vanity domain URLs. It may take that time for you to access your website without the www also.

Please let me know if it has been longer than 24 hours and you are still having the issue.

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or any additional questions.

• Hello Minipl8s,             

Did you have any further questions?

I will continue to monitor this thread for further posts or questions.

• I have domain name pertinent.co.in. My account is an old account (6-7 months). I recently figured out that when I enter "pertinent.co.in", then it takes me to login page of office 365. Only when I enter "www.pertinent.co.in", then it lands on my public website.

What is the solution? Do I need to configure any particular setting here?

Regards

Pradeep

• If you add a DNS entry for both www.pertinent.co.in and also pertinent.co.in and point both of these to the same IP then you should land on the same web page.

Hope the helps

Andrew

-----

Free Gift Voucher available for all Office 365 users at www.purenetworking.net

• Hello Pradeep,

Did you find Andrew’s information helpful? Thanks for the post Andrew.

Do you have an Enterprise account or a Professional and Small Business account?

• Thank you for you reply. I have two points:

1. Can you please give me some pointers on how to add the DNS entry for both the domains?

2. I have performed the nslookup on my domain and following is the result:

>nslookup pertinent.co.in

Server:  dns-tcl-p.tatacommunications.com

Address:  121.242.190.180

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    pertinent.co.in

Address:  111.221.22.50

>nslookup www.pertinent.co.in

Server:  dns-tcl-p.tatacommunications.com

Address:  121.242.190.180

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    prodnet26.sharepointonline.com

Address:  111.221.22.50

Aliases:  www.pertinent.co.in

Will it be fine to add DNS entry for both the domains pointing to 111.221.22.50? Isn't this IP address managed by office 365 and may change in future?

Regards

Pradeep

• Hello Pradeep,

If you have a Professional and Small Business account (P1), after completing the following instructions users should be directed from pertinent.co.in to www.pertinent.co.in:

1. Add your vanity domain to the domain section of your Microsoft Online Portal
    2. Complete the process of having your vanity domain verified
    3. Once the vanity domain is verified, go to your domain registrar
    4. At the registrar, change the name servers to ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and       ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com  (This process may take up to 72 hours)
    5. After the name servers are changed, go back to the domain section of your Microsoft Online Portal
    6. Click on the "change address" option, choose the vanity domain (This process may take up to 24 hours to propagate for you to be able to access your website and for your links in the portal to update to the vanity domain URLs)

I will continue to monitor this thread if you have any additional questions.

• Hello Pradeep,

If you have an Enterprise account, please let me know.

Did you have any further questions?

• Yes Jason, my question is still not answered.

I have already executed the steps that you suggested on May-24. That is how I am able to run my website on "www.pertinent.co.in". Only problem I have is "pertinent.co.in" (without www) does not go to web site. Instead it goes to Office 365 login page. I want to prevent that.

Andrew on May-23 suggested that I should add another DNS entry pointing even "pertinent.co.in" to same IP address "www.pertinent.co.in" is pointing to. I want to implement that suggestion but do not how to add another DNS entry.

Can you please suggest me the steps to add another DNS entry?

Regards

Pradeep

• Pradeep,

You don't need to add any records. When I enter pertinent.co.in it redirects to www, as it should. All this is handled automatically by 365 when you use their nameservers.

• Thank you. This is weird. I was even facing this problem couple of days back. This was discovered by me and my colleague about 2 months back. Since then we were checking solution and website too. It was not working properly.

But today when you pointed, I again checked and it is working fine. All is well now :).

Thank you everyone for support and valuable suggestions.

Regards

Pradeep