No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Problem with DNS verification

• 5 Followers
  • 20 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

Hi:

Having difficulty with verifying my domain in Office 365 as my registrar does not appear to provide for either TXT or MSX. Are you able to check at your end if the DNS record is nonetheless correct and the process is proceeding? Many thanks in advance for assistance here .

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi Morris199,

Thanks for Ken’s effort.
    I’d like to clarify your situation at first. You’d like to add your domain at Office 365, but your domain registrar didn’t supply adding TXT or MX record with your domain.

In terms of your situation, to check whether the DNS record is correct, you can either provide you domain (I will send a private message to acquire your domain name) or you can check it on yourself by using the NSlookup tool (Please refer to the RESOLUTION part at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515404).

If the TXT (or MX ) record can be found with your domain name, then please try to verify your domain at Office 365 portal again, if any error occurs, please capture the error message and post them in the forum.

In addition, if you can’t add the TXT or MX record at your domain, I suggest you contact your domain registrar to add the DNS record on their side.

To access the private message:
    1. Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
    2. Click Private messages.
    3. Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

For more information, you can refer to the following articles:
    Add your domain to Office 365
    Verify a domain at a domain name registrar

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Morris,

It is impossible to check with out a domain name. Nothing to look at and nothing to check.

You may want to review and follow this:  Move your OLSB Domain Name to Office 365  take a close look at Area/Step 24.

Sorry, BuildItOn365 website has expired. Links to and instructions - no longer exist.

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
  • Many thanks for your reply, Ken. However, I'm not with Melbourne IT anymore. I will naturally supply further details by private message regarding domain name, etc., to MSFT support when they respond.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Morris199,

Thanks for Ken’s effort.
    I’d like to clarify your situation at first. You’d like to add your domain at Office 365, but your domain registrar didn’t supply adding TXT or MX record with your domain.

In terms of your situation, to check whether the DNS record is correct, you can either provide you domain (I will send a private message to acquire your domain name) or you can check it on yourself by using the NSlookup tool (Please refer to the RESOLUTION part at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515404).

If the TXT (or MX ) record can be found with your domain name, then please try to verify your domain at Office 365 portal again, if any error occurs, please capture the error message and post them in the forum.

In addition, if you can’t add the TXT or MX record at your domain, I suggest you contact your domain registrar to add the DNS record on their side.

To access the private message:
    1. Please go to the Your details section on the right side of the community site.
    2. Click Private messages.
    3. Click the subject title of the response to read the message.

For more information, you can refer to the following articles:
    Verify a domain at a domain name registrar

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Evan:

I've now replied to your private message, supplying the domain name

Just to confirm, the message I'm getting is "Verification DNS record not found" and I'm not getting very far with helpful results from the network-tools.com process at the command prompt stage. I have however contacted my present domain registrar. Unfortunately they don't work over the weekend.

Kind regards.

Morris199

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Morris199,

Thanks for your information.

Checking your domain using the NSlookup tool, I find that the MX or TXT record which you created is not exist. Moreover, I find that your domain's name server records are: ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com.

This may cause the issue,because we should verify our domain before changing our domain's name server records

In terms of your situation, to verify your domain at Office 365, you need to redelegate your domain at the domain registrar, and then re-add the TXT or MX record for verification. 

Please refer to the following steps:

1). Redelgate your domain at your domain registrar.

If you would not be able to do this on yourself, you can turn to your domain registrar for help.

The changes may takes a few moments, please wait until the changes take effect.

2). Re-add the TXT or MX record for verification.

You can go on the Add a domain wizard at the MOP>Admin>Domains>Click to verify domain.

3), After your domain get verified, follow the wizard and change your domain's name server records to point to Office 365.

For more references, please refer to the following articles:

Verify a domain at any domain name registrar

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Evan:

You wrote in your private message reply: "Checking your domain using the NSlookup tool, I find that the MX or TXT record which you created is not exist. Moreover, I find that your domain's name server records are: ns1.bdm.microsoftonline.com and ns2.bdm.microsoftonline.com.

This may cause the issue,because we should verify our domain before changing our domain's name server records."

I'm dealing with the MX record setting and have posed a separate message about this. However, in this message I'm wondering how I can get back to the original server records - or whether in any case they are still relevant as Office Live no longer (as of tomorrow) no longer exists. and I have transferred the webpages to a Team site on Office 365. So, I would much appreciate further advice on this.

Regards

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Morris199,

Checking your domain using the NSlookup tool again, I find that your domain has been redelegated.

In terms of this situation, your domain is ready to be used at Office 365 now, please re-add the TXT or MX record, then try to verify your domain at Office 365 again.

You can refer to Verify a domain at 1&1 Internet.

Tip: Typically, it takes about 15 minutes for the TXT or MX record which you added to propagate through the DNS system, and it can takes up to 72 hours. 

Regarding to the MX record priority question, according to the “Verify a domain at 1&1 Internet” help article:
    “The second text box (for the same MX record) is the priority field. In this box, type a number that is higher than the number for other MX records you already have. This will create an MX record that has lower priority than your other MX records.
    For example, if the highest priority you have for an MX record now is 100, you could set the new MX record’s priority to 200.”

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi:

Yes, I see indeed that the domain has now been redelegated.

However, if I go through the document "Verify a domain at the domain register 1&1 Internet I reach point 3, "on the next page of the wizard, Verify domain" so far so good. However, when I press the button, it tries to verify the domain but I receive back the message 'Verification DNS record not found. We couldn't verify [domain name].co.uk. Make sure that the verification DNS record that you created at your domain registrar is correct, and that you've waited at least 72 hours after you added the record.' I can therefore not move onto the remaining part of the instructions under point 3 ""in the Select a verification method drop-down list, choose Add an MX record (alternate method." If I can't do this it obviously has implications when I attempt to go back to the 1&1 Internet control panel and edit DNS settings as I don't know what to add under MX record.

Your continuing help is much appreciated.

Best regards.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Morris,

I understand you are in the process of adding your domain at Office 365, the issue is you can't add the MX record at your domain registrar for domain verification.

At the Verify a domain wizard, we click on the drop-down list, select our domain registrar (1 & 1 Internet), the add a MX record instruction will appears as following: 
    On the DNS Settings page, in the Advanced DNS settings area, create a new MX record.
    1. Look for the first empty MX record field. This is where you’ll create your MX record. For example, it might have an MX 2 / Prio: label.
    2. In the first record field for the new MX record, type or paste the following: msxxxxxxxx.msv1.invalid
    3. Add to the end of that information ".outlook.com" (without the quotes). The final text in the first field for the MX record will look something like this, but with your unique value for the "ms" portion:
    msxxxxxxxx.msv1.invalid.outlook.com
    4. The second record field (for the same MX record) is the priority field. For this field, type a number that is higher than the number for other MX records you already have. This will create an MX record that has lower priority than your other MX records.
    For example, if the highest priority you have for an MX record now is set to 100, you could set the new MX record to 200.
    5. Click OK.

Note: Please take a look at the instruction showed on your side, and the <msxxxxxxxx.msv1.invalid> would be changed to a string like <ms12345678.msv1.invalid>, the string is the unique value for you, and please add it at 1 & 1 Internet’s control panel.  

The DNS record we added may takes about 15 minutes to propagate through the DNS system. Meanwhile, you can check if it takes effect by using the NSlookup tool (please refer to my initial post).

Then, please go back to Office 365 portal and try to verify our domain again.

Thanks,
    Evan Zhang 

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Evan:

I'm sorry (and with all due respect) these automated answers to my queries aren't helpful in terms of answering my specific concerns regarding instructions which in themselves aren't clearly set out. I'm quite aware of these directions as they are set out on your support pages. What I am seeking is specific help in this matter.

So, please I'm still not clear how I devise an MX record. Do I just put together numbers out of my head? If not, where would I find the MX record? As I explained in my previous enmail under the page heading of 'Verify a domain at the domain register 1&1v Internet', I am not able to reach point 4 and generate a value for "Destinations or Points to Address" where the MX record(s) are possibly - as far as I can see - revealed?

Best regards.

• Not Ranked
  • Dear Morris,

I had the same error with a customer an 1&1 - do you habe a Webhosting contract?

As discussed with 1&1 Support it is not possible to change mx records in a Internet Access contract.

Please check with 1&1

regards

Markus

• Not Ranked
  • Very many thanks for chipping in, Markus.

It's not a web hosting contract I have with 1&1 internet, just domain registration; and  I appear to be able to change the mx records in their control panel, but to what?I should be able in theory to generate such values through the Office 365 admin portal following the advice that's set out by MSFT support, under point 3.of their "Verify a domain at the domain register 1& 1 Internet" support document. However I not getting beyond pressing the 'Verify domain' button and getting a no. 1 error message :-(.

Regards,

Morris

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Morris,

Thanks for your update, I understand you can’t find the MX value on your side so that you can’t create it at your domain registrar.

To find the MX value, please take a look at the instruction showed on your side again. The instruction contains the individual number of the MX value, it showed like ms12345678.msv1.invalid (In Step 2 and Step 3).

Please follow the instruction to create the MX record with the individual value, wait about 15 minutes (It can take up to 72 hours), and try to verify your domain at Office 365 again.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Evan:

This is just unbelievable. I'm not trying to be rude but, with respect, can you please stop sending me automated general instructions. Can you please read my previous mssages in this thread. Alternatively, can I please be put in touch with another support person from your team as I really find myself going round and round in circles with you.

I'll explain one more time. My domain name is shown in my admin panel on Microsoft 365.

if I go through the document "Verify a domain at the domain register 1&1 Internet I reach point 3, "on the next page of the wizard, Verify domain" so far so good. However, when I press the button in the wizard, it tries to verify the domain but I receive back the message 'Verification DNS record not found. We couldn't verify [domain name].co.uk. Make sure that the verification DNS record that you created at your domain registrar is correct, and that you've waited at least 72 hours after you added the record.' I can therefore not move onto the remaining part of the instructions under point 3 ""in the Select a verification method drop-down list, choose Add an MX record (alternate method." If I can't do this it obviously has implications when I attempt to go back to the 1&1 Internet control panel and edit DNS settings as I don't know what to add under MX record.

I look forward to you reading this and rereading my previous messaages and giving me a specific reply addressing my particular problem - or passing it on to someone else in your team who can . Very many thanks.

Regards.

• Not Ranked
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1|2|