No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

two domain names both verified on one website but only one will work

• 4 Followers
  • 5 Replies |
  • This post has 3 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

My last post regarding this seems to be deleted!!

I have two domain names www.pigkeepingcourses.com and www.tedfoldcottagefarm.co.uk that used to go to same website on OLSB.

This doesn't seem possible on ms365 which had they told me I could have taken different steps with my new site. i.e. not chosen ms365 or have one redirected rather than go through the whole 5day verification process with both of them!

Can I have both pointing to same website if I upgrade to professional and pay more of course? and how long will this take? I have a big promotion coming up and need both domain names pointing to one site.

Also when i click on my live site www.pigkeepingcourses.com it comes up with sharepoint or website options and the customer has to reclick again - can i turn this off? it looks awful and could cause confusion

thanks

Michaela

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi Michaela,

Based on your description, if you would like to have two domains to access your SharePoint public website, it would not be possible to achieve this directly in Office 365.

To use your own domain1 as www.yourdomain1.com as SharePoint public website' URL, you need to follow the steps below:

1). Log in Office 365, click Admin.

2). Click Domains on the left panel.

3). There is a sentence that begins with "Your SharePoint website address is...".  Click Change Address.

4). Select the custom domain from the drop-down and click OK.

5). Wait for some time and check if you can access your website.

After doing this, you could go to the Domain Registrar for domain2.com and set Forwarding / Redirect setting (Some domain registrars may not have such settings). Set www.domain2.com to forward or redirect to www.domain1.com, wait for some time (no more than 72 hours) and try type www.domain1.com, it will be forwarded to the website as www.domain2.com.

Moreover, when I click your website, it comes up with the home page of the website without any SharePoint or website options. Could you please clarify more information about it? Any screen shot would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Michaela,

Just as Anna said, there is only one domain to be allowed for the public facing website in Office 365 at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience, and my suggestion is to contact Melbourne IT to see if they can help to do the URL forwarding for the second domain. As far as I know, most of the domain registrars have this function.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Thank you Reken -

• Not Ranked
All Replies
  • Hi Michaela,

Based on your description, if you would like to have two domains to access your SharePoint public website, it would not be possible to achieve this directly in Office 365.

To use your own domain1 as www.yourdomain1.com as SharePoint public website' URL, you need to follow the steps below:

1). Log in Office 365, click Admin.

2). Click Domains on the left panel.

3). There is a sentence that begins with "Your SharePoint website address is...".  Click Change Address.

4). Select the custom domain from the drop-down and click OK.

5). Wait for some time and check if you can access your website.

After doing this, you could go to the Domain Registrar for domain2.com and set Forwarding / Redirect setting (Some domain registrars may not have such settings). Set www.domain2.com to forward or redirect to www.domain1.com, wait for some time (no more than 72 hours) and try type www.domain1.com, it will be forwarded to the website as www.domain2.com.

Moreover, when I click your website, it comes up with the home page of the website without any SharePoint or website options. Could you please clarify more information about it? Any screen shot would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Anna Guo

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Thanks Anna. The second domain i wish to redirect is with melbourne IT do you know if they have a redirect service as i haven't had a reply yet and i could not see it on my account console.

It is a shame that it could not be the same as OLSB as a lot of people need this function - I would rather pay slightly more for the ease of it.

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Michaela,

Just as Anna said, there is only one domain to be allowed for the public facing website in Office 365 at this time. Sorry for the inconvenience, and my suggestion is to contact Melbourne IT to see if they can help to do the URL forwarding for the second domain. As far as I know, most of the domain registrars have this function.

Thanks,
    Reken Liu

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Male
  • Thank you Reken -

• Not Ranked
  • Thank you Reken -
    • Not Ranked
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)