No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

recreate user

• 3 Followers
  • 10 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I created a user, however I made a mistake and deleted the user.

The user doesn't apear in my user list however if I try to recreate the user, I get a message: user already exists.

What can I do since I want this particular name.

Thanks David

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi,

Just letting you know that the problem was resolved and the user is now a fully licenced user. Thanks for all the help.

Although I couldn't directly use the user after I followed your earlier instructions. After a few minutes hower I could. Great stuff!

Many thanks

David, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

• Not Ranked
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • Hi David,

I understand you have an issuing re-creating a deleted user. When you attempt to create the user, you will get an error message. If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

In order to troubleshoot your issue, I would like to collect some information.
    1.Did you do all of the operation in Microsoft Online Portal (MOP)? If not, did you do that in Exchange Control Panel (ECP)?
    2.Can you see deleted user in ECP?

If you delete a user in MOP, in generally, the change will become effective immediately. But the change may take a few times to sync between the servers. Can you try to create the user again after wait about a few minutes?

You can also use PowerShell to manage the users of Office 365. You can follow the steps to check whether the user still exists.
    1.Use PowerShell to connect Office 365. You can refer to the following link.
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/office365-enterprises/hh124998.aspx
    2.Run the Cmdlet to check whether the user is still exists.
    get-msoluser –UserPrincipalName username
    3.If the user is not existed, you can use the Cmdlet to create new user.
    New-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName user@yourdomain.com -DisplayName "DisplayName" -FirstName "First" -LastName "Last" -UsageLocation "US"

If the issue still persists, please capture the error message and post the screen shoot to this thread.

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • All operations where done from within MOP

I have never used ECP

I will try to have a look at powershell

Thanks

David Sanders

• Not Ranked
  • Hi David,

Thanks for your update.

If you have any progress on this issue, please feel free to post in this thread.

Thanks,

Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
  • I used:

New-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName rweisz@weiszwatches -DisplayName "Ronen Weisz" -FirstName "Ronen" -LastName "Weisz" -UsageLocation "NL"

To succesfully rerecreate my user and I can see him in my admin panel, however when I try to add the licenses to this user and press save, I get a complained that the user already exists.

Any suggestions?

• Not Ranked
  • PS I tried also:

PS C:\> Set-MsolUserLicense -UserPrincipalName rweisz@weiszwatches.com -AddLicenses "weiszwatch:LITEPACK"

Set-MsolUserLicense : Uniqueness violation. Property: ProxyAddresses.

At line:1 char:20

+ Set-MsolUserLicense <<<<  -UserPrincipalName rweisz@weiszwatches.com -AddLicenses "weiszwatch:LITEPACK"

+ CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (:) [Set-MsolUserLicense], MicrosoftOnlineException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Online.Administration.Automation.UniquenessValidationException,Microsoft.Online.

PS C:\>

Whats Wrong?

David

• Not Ranked
  • Hi David,

Based on your deception, there is a user in your organization using rweisz@weiszwatches.com as Proxy address.

Please Log into Microsoft Online Portal using Administrator, click Manage under Exchange on Admin Page.
    Click user’s name and check E-mail Option setting. Then remove rweisz@weiszwatches.com.

Thanks,
    Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
  • You were indeed right, the address did exist.

Is there a delay before I can reuse this adress?

Thanks in advance

David

• Not Ranked
  • Hello DH_Sanders,

No, once you remove the existing email address from Office 365, you should be able to reuse it.

Reference
    =======
    You receive the following error message in the Office 365 portal: "A user with this name already exists. Use a different name."
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2428507/en-us

Thank you.

Jack Sun

• Top 50 Contributor
  • Hi,

Just letting you know that the problem was resolved and the user is now a fully licenced user. Thanks for all the help.

Although I couldn't directly use the user after I followed your earlier instructions. After a few minutes hower I could. Great stuff!

Many thanks

David, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

• Not Ranked
  • Hi DH_Sanders,

Thanks for your update. And I'm glad to see that you have resolved this issue on your side.

If you have any other questions when using Office 365 in the future, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Best Regards,

Ray Yang

• Top 50 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)