No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

removal/use of onmicrosoft.com from Outlook

This question is answered This question is answered

I successfully transitioned from OLSB to 365 including my email. 

1)  I would like my custom email address to be the only address to send or receive mail. 

I've made the custom my default email account but I keep receiving emails from (or through) the onmicrosoft email acct.  The prob is that when i click reply to those emails it still sends from the onmicrosoft acct, and i have to add my signature line to each reply email.  Yes, I could set up (manually) an identical signature for the onmicrosoft.com account, but i don't want the damn thing anyway. 

It also sends a copy of my sent emails to the old "sent items" folder.

2)  Why can't i just remove the onmicrosoft.com acct from my list of email accts?

Verified Answer
  • Hi weblawdog,
    When your company signs up for Microsoft Office 365 for enterprises/small business and professional, you’re given an initial domain name that looks like the following: contoso.onmicrosoft.com. In this example, contoso is the name that you chose when you signed up. As a global administrator, you can add your own domain names for your company to use with the services as well, or remove domains that you’ve added previously.
    If you want your hosted email or other services to use a domain name that you own rather than the one that you were given at signup, you can add the domain name to Office 365. After you add the domain to Office 365 and Office 365 verifies that you own it, you can set up email, create Lync Online accounts with the domain name, create distribution lists that include the domain name, and use the domain name for your SharePoint Online hosted website by changing DNS records at your DNS hosting provider. For more information, see Add your domain to Office 365.
    You can change your default signed up user account to you own domain, in this way it will not use onmicrosoft email account any more, replace with your own domain. If you want to do this, please follow below steps:
        - Go to Admin page if you are the administrator for your tenant.
        - Click Users under management from left Navigation, go to Users page.
        - Select the user you want to change default user account, click Edit.
        - In the Edit page, click Details under you display name. 
        - From User name, you can change the domain name with your own domain if you have added your own domain in Office 365. 
        - Click save, re-login your account. 
    You cannot remove the xxx.onmicrosoft.com, but you can do some configuration not to use it.

Best Regards
    Martin Xu
    Microsoft Office 365 Support

• Hi Thomas,
    Thanks for your clarification. 
        > If deleting the account cannot work, please add a new O365 account directly. For example the account of Office 365 in Outlook shows xxx.onmicrosoft.com even you have changed the domain to your own domain. Please add this account again using you own domain. After it was added and you need restart your outlook, the account domain will be changed accordingly. 
        > Or you can create a new mail profile for this new O365 account with you own domain. How to add a create a new mail profile you can refer to below steps:
                - Open Control Panel > Click Mail > In the Profiles section click Show Profiles > click Add... to create a new profile and set this profile as default one.

Best Regards
    Martin Xu

All Replies
  • Hi weblawdog,
    When your company signs up for Microsoft Office 365 for enterprises/small business and professional, you’re given an initial domain name that looks like the following: contoso.onmicrosoft.com. In this example, contoso is the name that you chose when you signed up. As a global administrator, you can add your own domain names for your company to use with the services as well, or remove domains that you’ve added previously.
    If you want your hosted email or other services to use a domain name that you own rather than the one that you were given at signup, you can add the domain name to Office 365. After you add the domain to Office 365 and Office 365 verifies that you own it, you can set up email, create Lync Online accounts with the domain name, create distribution lists that include the domain name, and use the domain name for your SharePoint Online hosted website by changing DNS records at your DNS hosting provider. For more information, see Add your domain to Office 365.
    You can change your default signed up user account to you own domain, in this way it will not use onmicrosoft email account any more, replace with your own domain. If you want to do this, please follow below steps:
        - Go to Admin page if you are the administrator for your tenant.
        - Click Users under management from left Navigation, go to Users page.
        - Select the user you want to change default user account, click Edit.
        - In the Edit page, click Details under you display name. 
        - From User name, you can change the domain name with your own domain if you have added your own domain in Office 365. 
        - Click save, re-login your account. 
    You cannot remove the xxx.onmicrosoft.com, but you can do some configuration not to use it.

Best Regards
    Martin Xu

• Hi weblawdog,
    Did my answer help you? Let us know if you need further assistance from us.

Best Regards
    Martin Xu

• Dear Martin,

I have had the same issue and solved it with your above instructions. What remains an issue for me is that I have installed Outlook 2010 in order to transfer my email but I cannot replace the xxx.onmicrosoft.com user with my custom domain user account. I would like Outlook only to use my "final" account that ends on my custom domain name.

• Hi Thomas,
    Before I can give your solution to help you, could you help me to give more details about below questions:
        > You have created some xxx.onmicrosoft.com users in Office 365. And then you add one mail account end with xxx.onmicrosoft.com in Outlook 2010. It works. Now you have added a custom domain in Office 365. And change some existing users with your own domain. Now you want to change configuration for the added account of O365 in Outlook 2010. Did my understanding correct? 
        > If above description is correct, you can deleted existing mail account in Outlook 2010 which was ended with xxx.onmicrosoft.com. And then add the updated one in Outlook 2010 again. Or direct add this new mail account with new domain name. After successful configuration Outlook will inform you that you need to restart Outlook. Close Outlook and restart it, your mail account domain name will be changed automatically.

Best Regards
    Martin Xu

• Hi Martin,

Here is what I did in detail.

I created a user in Office365, then activated the appropriate licenses to test the Office 2010 Outlook. Next I created the Office 365 user in Outlook 2010 followed by my original OLSB user. I copied all mails, contacts etc. as described in the self transition guide and verified in Outlook Web App that these have been successfully copied. Next I transferred the custom domain to Office 365 and assigned the new domain name to my user account. As long as I work online (Outlook web app) everything is okay...everything meaning sending and receiving emails etc. Now is where my issue starts with Outlook 2010. I deleted my OLSB user account and am looking for a way to change the Office 365 user account to also use my custom domain email address just as the web app does. Deleting the account does not work since I get the following message:

"Before deleting your email account containing.....you must create a new location for your data" followed by instructions how to do so. I tried adding the new account but after a restart of Outlook there is no new user added.

Best Regards,

Thomas

• Hi Thomas,
    Thanks for your clarification. 
        > If deleting the account cannot work, please add a new O365 account directly. For example the account of Office 365 in Outlook shows xxx.onmicrosoft.com even you have changed the domain to your own domain. Please add this account again using you own domain. After it was added and you need restart your outlook, the account domain will be changed accordingly. 
        > Or you can create a new mail profile for this new O365 account with you own domain. How to add a create a new mail profile you can refer to below steps:
                - Open Control Panel > Click Mail > In the Profiles section click Show Profiles > click Add... to create a new profile and set this profile as default one.

Best Regards
    Martin Xu

• Hi Thomas,
    Did my answer help you? Let us know if you need further assistance from us.

Best Regards
    Martin Xu