No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Obtaining an IP address to complete Step 2 in Setting Up Website

• 4 Followers
  • 8 Replies |
  • This post has 3 verified answers |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered

I'm trying to move my web site to O-365, and am stuck on Step 2 of the process:  Make Sure People can still get to your website.  It says to contact the company that hosts http://www.%3cname%3e.com/ for you and ask them to provide the IP address where your website is hosted.

Can you instruct me on how to do this?  I'm moving from OLSB to O-365, and am already past Step 1 (confirm you own <name>.com).  Now how do I get the IP address? (I was with Office Live Small Business but I believe I am now on Melbourne IT. Can someone please offer step-by-step instructions?

Thanks 

• Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • The instructions are poorly written - start over and answer NO when asked if you have a website. Then you'll bypass the error in the inappropriately named "wizard". (Dumbest wizard I've ever seen).  
    webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
  • Hi Jmodes,

Thanks for Mchv2.0’s effort.

I understand you are in the wizard of adding your domain at Office 365, as you are transferring from OLSB (Office Live Small Business), you don’t need to obtain the IP address of the OLSB website.

To skip this section in the wizard, we can do the following steps:

1.  On the following page, click Cancel. 

You may need to click Continue to go the above page (see the screenshot below).

2. On the “Set up domain.com to work with Office 365” page, click Review or change answers.

3. On the “Start your domain setup over again?” page, click Yes.

4. On the page where asks you “Do you want to stop and use a different domain name instead?”, select “No, I just want to review my answers.” Click Next.

5. On the “Tell us about domain” page, select No under “Do you have a domain website?”

6. Follow the wizard to add the domain.

For more references, please refer to the following pages:
    OLSB transition Centre
    Add your domain to Office 365

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • this worked!  Thanks.  You were a lifesaver!

• Not Ranked
All Replies
  • The instructions are poorly written - start over and answer NO when asked if you have a website. Then you'll bypass the error in the inappropriately named "wizard". (Dumbest wizard I've ever seen).  
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Jmodes,

Thanks for Mchv2.0’s effort.

I understand you are in the wizard of adding your domain at Office 365, as you are transferring from OLSB (Office Live Small Business), you don’t need to obtain the IP address of the OLSB website.

To skip this section in the wizard, we can do the following steps:

1.  On the following page, click Cancel. 

You may need to click Continue to go the above page (see the screenshot below).

2. On the “Set up domain.com to work with Office 365” page, click Review or change answers.

3. On the “Start your domain setup over again?” page, click Yes.

4. On the page where asks you “Do you want to stop and use a different domain name instead?”, select “No, I just want to review my answers.” Click Next.

5. On the “Tell us about domain” page, select No under “Do you have a domain website?”

6. Follow the wizard to add the domain.

For more references, please refer to the following pages:
    OLSB transition Centre
    Add your domain to Office 365

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Jmodes,

How are things going on your side? Did my above information help you or do you need any futher assistance?

Thanks,

Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • Even,

Why does your step 5 above show you selecting yes?

Sorry, BuildItOn365 website has expired. Links to and instructions - no longer exist.

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
  • this worked!  Thanks.  You were a lifesaver!

• Not Ranked
  • You're welcome. The only question remaining is why we have to answer questions about something that should have been corrected months ago.........
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Jmodes,

Thanks for your update, and I’m glad to hear that this issue have been resolved on your side.

@Ken, thanks for your information, the correct screen shoot would be as following:

@Mchv2.0, Thanks for your information, and we have fixed the instruction now. Please refer to step 7-4 “Also on the second page, when asked ‘Do you have a domain.com website?’ answer No.” at Move your email and website to Office 365 (US/English). 

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to post them in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Evan Zhang

• Top 10 Contributor
  • With only a couple of days to go I guess it's better than nothing but what I've been asking for really is a more robust solution: changing those instructions that may or may not get looked at (or understood) is a bandaid. What's needed is a change in the way the  "wizard" works, to prevent people making a mistake. Or at minimum an alert right there that addresses OLSB users specifically and a separate option for them.

Like:

"Do you have a domain web site?" yes/no

"Is your web site an Offive Live Small Business web site?" yes/no

Something as important as this has to be thought out from the perspective of what a likely user would answer,  NOT what someone who already knows  the "right" answer would answer. I don't think that's too much to ask or too hard to do. And it would save a lot of grief.

• Top 10 Contributor
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)