No one has responded to this discussion for at least a year, so this information may be out of date. If you're looking for information about this topic, please search for a more recent discussion or post a new question.

Transfering Website from Office Live with Go Daddy domain???

• 6 Followers
  • 16 Replies |
  • This post has 1 verified answer |
Answered (Verified) This question is answered
My website has been with Office Live & I have partially redirected my Go Daddy -  The domain but mot the email. I have recreated my wesite in Office 365 & updated the TXT records on Go Daddy. & verrified the domain. I am trying to publish the website on Office 365 but it doesn't seem to be working. I want the domain to be my Go Daddy domain but I want Go Daddy to still deal with my email. How do i make this happen? I would like it to function just like I have it now in Office live.
  • Post Points: 20
Verified Answer
  • Hi C3Glo,

First, thanks for mchv2.0’s effort.

I understand that you would like to transfer the website to Office 365 and keep using email service at Go Daddy. At this point, please create an A record or a CNAME record for the website. You can refer to the article:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh416759.aspx

The A record or CNAME record information can be found in DNS Manager by performing the following steps:

1. Log in Office 365, click Admin.
    2. Click Domains on the left side.
    3. There is a sentence that begins with "Your SharePoint website address is...".  Click Change Address.
    4. Select the custom domain from the drop-down and click OK.
    5. After the website address is changed, select your custom domain, click Mange DNS. The DNS information will be shown in DNS Manager.

If the website still cannot work properly, please let us know the website address and detailed error message for further research.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
    • Post Points: 0
All Replies
  • C3Glo,

Can you elaborate on "doesn't seem to be working"?

Generally 365 is a good venue for email and is what you're paying for but isn't very good for public web sites.

webbrewers | Easy to use sites | Low/no cost hosting
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi C3Glo,

First, thanks for mchv2.0’s effort.

I understand that you would like to transfer the website to Office 365 and keep using email service at Go Daddy. At this point, please create an A record or a CNAME record for the website. You can refer to the article:
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh416759.aspx

The A record or CNAME record information can be found in DNS Manager by performing the following steps:

1. Log in Office 365, click Admin.
    2. Click Domains on the left side.
    3. There is a sentence that begins with "Your SharePoint website address is...".  Click Change Address.
    4. Select the custom domain from the drop-down and click OK.
    5. After the website address is changed, select your custom domain, click Mange DNS. The DNS information will be shown in DNS Manager.

If the website still cannot work properly, please let us know the website address and detailed error message for further research.

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • It isn't going live. When I save & try to publish it I can't see it. I made several changes to the website in 365 & it seems like it still only showing the old Live version. How do i rectify that?

Also ... before in Live I kept the email with Go Daddy as it seemed like it worked better for our needs this way. Would it be better to also transfer the email to 365? I am not super tech savy, but do understand some. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also what is better for public website ... without breaking the bank?

Thanks,

Gloria

• Not Ranked
  • Thanks Mindy! Do I have to do anything on the Live site to deactivate the website there?

• Not Ranked
  • I udated the A record through the DNS Manager. Still does not seem to be going "live." ... Any more input would be great! Thanks!

• Not Ranked
  • Hi C3Glo,

If you want to move your OLSB website to Office365.

Please follow this link:
    http://ask.officelive.com/smallbusiness/blogs/team/archive/2012/02/14/video-moving-your-office-live-domain-to-office-365.aspx
    It can give you a right direction.

Note: When running the Add a domain wizard, on the “Tell us about domain” page, please select No under “Do you have a domain website?”

Thanks,
    Lime

• Not Ranked
  • Hi Gloria,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that after creating an A record through the DNS Manager, the website still cannot work. I would like to explain that the A record or CNAME record need to be created at your domain register (here is Go Daddy).

If the website still cannot work properly, could you please provide the website address so that I can do more research?

I’m not familiar about the email service at Go Daddy. However, I have listed the DNS hosts differences as below:

If you keep using email service at Go Daddy, we cannot redirect the Name Server records to Office 365. The domain is hosted at Go Daddy. Therefore, you will need to create the DNS record at your domain register (here is Go Daddy) such as CNAME record for the website, SRV records for Lync Online. The detailed information can be found in the article: http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/hh416759.aspx.

If you use Exchange Online instead, we can redirect the Name Server records to Office 365. By doing so, Office 365 hosts your domain and will create the DNS records such as CNAME records and SRV records automatically. The following article is for your information:

Change name server records at Go Daddy
    http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/en-us/office365-smallbusinesses/gg549208.aspx

Thanks,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
    Suggested by
  • Ok ... I have now changed the name servers on Go Daddy & deleted the domain redirection on Live ... & it is still not working ... I still only can see the old website. Now I am concerned that the email is going to be messed up as we have email addresses associated with that domain on Go Daddy. The website is www.myessentialhair.com. I really need help with this ... very frustrating!

• Not Ranked
  • C3Glo,

Did you do the last step that the "Add Domain" wizard forgot to mention?

See -->  community.office365.com/.../132225.aspx

or -->  Change default address to custom Domain Name

Sorry, BuildItOn365 website has expired. Links to and instructions - no longer exist.

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
  • Looking at whois, the nameserver change has gone through. Did you change the domain name used for web site in the 365 domain section?  
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Yes I have done this ... still is showing old website. Not the one I created in Office 365.

• Not Ranked
  • A 365 site is coming up for that domain here, so I assume It's working now.
    • Top 10 Contributor
  • Hi Gloria,

I understand that you have redirected the Name Server records to point to Office 365. As mchv2.0 said, the Office 365 website http://www.myessentialhair.com/Pages/default.aspx can be accessed properly now. In order to avoid confuse, we normally troubleshoot one issue in one thread. If the email service cannot work properly, I recommend creating a new dedicated thread, so that we can dig deeper on this issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Mindy Pan

• Top 25 Contributor
  • Then Mindy,

You should have something in place that closes the threat when their question is answered. There is NOTHING that says one thread = one question.  You don't seem to want to make things easy for us.

Sorry, BuildItOn365 website has expired. Links to and instructions - no longer exist.

• Top 75 Contributor
    • Male
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1|2|